Indoor Cam alerts, modes, & more

I have a ring doorbell 2, a few sensors, and this indoor cam. The indoor cam is driving me batty.

Mode Settings = “Home”

Indoor Cam

Motion Detection = on

Live View = on

Motion Settings

Motion Schedule

"every day selected, time is 05:30-23:30"

Indoor Cam

3 dots/settings

Record Motion=off

Motion Alerts=off

Who overrides whom?

I walked out this morning at 5:25 and it alarmed (Alexa complaining about motion detecting) which is what I want but I walked in front of it to test it at 5:40 and I got the alarm again. I’ve been playing with all of these settings and simply can’t figure out which way this is supposed to be setup.

Essentially what I want is:

in home mode, no alarm, no alerts.

in away mode, full alarm, full alerts.

in disarmed mode, no alarm, no alerts.

I’d like for the ability to turn any of these on or off but for now, I’d accept one of the above if possible.

thoughts?

@neila_steve wrote:

I have a ring doorbell 2, a few sensors, and this indoor cam. The indoor cam is driving me batty.

Mode Settings = “Home”

Indoor Cam
          Motion Detection = on

Live View = on

Motion Settings

Motion Schedule

"every day selected, time is 05:30-23:30"

Indoor Cam

3 dots/settings

Record Motion=off

Motion Alerts=off

Who overrides whom?

I walked out this morning at 5:25 and it alarmed (Alexa complaining about motion detecting) which is what I want but I walked in front of it to test it at 5:40 and I got the alarm again. I’ve been playing with all of these settings and simply can’t figure out which way this is supposed to be setup.

Essentially what I want is:

I’d like for the ability to turn any of these on or off but for now, I’d accept one of the above if possible.

thoughts?

@neila_steve , just to clarify what alerts are “driving you batty”? I’m not sure if you are referring to the Text-type Notification Alert ‘push’ alerts, that you receive on your Ring App, that are driving you batty. Or, is it the audible sound alerts, the selected “Chirp Tones” you hear it on your phone and Alarm Base Station and Keypad, that are driving you batty?

I think you are talking about some combination of text Notifications and hearing sounds. Both the Text Alert and the Sound Alert can be controlled for each individual Ring Device (Doorbells & Cameras, and Motion-sensors, and Contact-sensors). Then on top of all that, the Mode Settings can be used to determine whether of not you get a Text Notification Alert, Sound Alert, trigger the alarm, control cameras, decide which sensors will be used, etc. It can easily become confusing and messy. What makes it worse is the selection terms used in different menus can mean different thing in the Modes. And this results in more confusion. So, I’m going to go step-by-step in my explanation.

First, concerning the individual cameras and sensors for setting Text Notifications Alerts and Chirp sound Alerts:

The selection control over receiving a text-type Notification Alert ‘push’ and/or an Alert-Sound Chirps to your smart-phone and alarm devices, you can do always do that, regardless of what alarm mode you are in.

NOTIFICATIONS (Pushed Text) ALERTS:

FROM A SENSOR: To control a ‘pushed’ text-notification on a sensor; from main-menu select “Devices” > select Alarm Base Station > and then select the specific sensor that you want to monitor. Toggle ON or OFF the “Motion Alert” (for motion-sensors) and “Open Alert” or “Closed Alert” (for contact-sensors) for each device.

FROM A CAMERA: To control a ‘pushed’ text-notification from a camera; from main-menu select “Devices” > select the camera > toggle “Motion Alerts” ON or OFF and then select “Device Setting” > “Alert Setting” > Notification Preference". Toggle ON or OFF the “Push Notifications”.

AUDIBLE CHIRP SOUND ALERTS:

NOTE: Select a Chirp Tone which you’ll hear it on your phone. One of your Chirp sound selections is “Silent” for when you do not ever want any chirp at all from that device. If you are logged onto your phone app as the “Owner”, the same Chirp sound choice will also be heard from the Keypad and Alarm Base Station.

FROM A SENSOR: To control an audible sound, select “Chirp Tones” from a Motion or Contact Sensor: From the main menu select “Devices” > select “Device Settings” > “Alert Settings” > “App Alert Tones” > select Chirp Tone from the choices, and note that there also is a “Silent” selection.

FROM A CAMERA: To control an audible sound, select “Chirp Tones” from a Camera: From the main menu select “Devices” > select the camera > toggle “Motion Alerts” ON or OFF and then select DEVICE SETTINGS > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones > choose a sound, and note again that there also is a “Silent” selection.

THE MODES:

FOR MODE ACTIVATION:

There are three big **Disarmed, Home, ** and **Away ** Mode ACTIVATION Icons in the upper portion of the Dashboard. These Dashboard Icons are simply use to activate which Mode you want, not to change Mode settings.

FOR MODE SETTINGS:

For the three Modes, **Disarmed, Home, ** and Away Modes can also control the behavior of cameras (active/inactive, record Motion-activated videos or not, send Text Alert Notifications, and if you get Chirp sound alerts too). But to clarify in the Modes, the Text alerts and Chirp sound alerts are selected on the individual devices. The Modes can have an impact on these on top of those settings/selections.

SETTING MODE ALARM SENSORS: For Triggering the Alarm in the **Home ** and Away modes: You can set which sensors are used and not used to trigger the alarm (Cameras cannot trigger the security alarm). From main-menu select “Devices” > select “Alarm Base Station” > and then select the specific sensor, and then select “Mode Settings.” There you can toggle ON or OFF (then remember to tap “SAVE”) if you want this sensor will be used to trigger the alarm or not. Sensor by sensor, do this to set every sensor Mode setting for the intrusion alarm. Important thing to remember: Whatever Text NOTIFICATION ALERT or CHIRP ALERT sound settings you had set for your Motion-Sensors and Contact-Sensors (from the above previous paragraphs), those Sensor Notification/Chirp Alerts will always stay the same in all three Disarm, Home, and Away Modes.

SETTING MODE CAMERAS (non-sensor), NOTIFICATION ALERTS & CHIRP SOUND ALERTS:

Device Control: From the main menu, select the Camera “Device” > “Mode Settings.” You’ll then have 4 selections: Disarm Mode, Home Mode, Away Mode, and when you scroll to the bottom of this page you’ll see the 4th, “Disable Mode Settings for Cameras.” The Disable Mode is a quick way to ‘start fresh’ and wipe out the Disarm-Home-Away modes settings you previously did for ALL cameras (and you’ll then have to reset each camera over again for each mode).

In each Disarm, Home, and Away “Mode Setting” pages: You have two selections here, CAMERAS and CHIRPS.

MODE CAMERA SETTINGS (CAMERA ENABLE & CAMERA NOTIFICATIONS):

Tapping Cameras allows you to select which of your cameras that you prefer Live-View and/or Motion-Detection Enabled, or not.

LIVE-VIEW SETTING: When “Live-View” is toggled Enabled, you can initiate a “Live-View” while in that MODE. When “Live-View” is toggled Disabled, you can not activate “Live-View.” while in that Mode and the Dashboard will also display a ‘blurred’ camera view while in this MODE.

MOTION DETECTION SETTING: My explanation for this setting is based on personal experience, and although I could be wrong, this is what I’ve found. MODE “Motion-Detection” does NOT mean that whether the camera will or will not ‘sense’ motion . . . it always does. If your camera previous DEVICE screen page still is toggled to “Record Motion” , this camera will make a video recording when triggered by motion, even with MODE “Motion-Detection” toggled to Disabled. Then you will find recordings stored in your History whenever that camera detected motion (I know, it’s contrary/misleading to what is written in the app, but I know this from personal experience with my Ring Indoor camera). If you do not want History recordings triggered by motion (which will load, be patient), toggle “Record Motion” to OFF. This is one of those instances where the terms can be confusing and a better definition of “Motion-Detection” is what will be the camera’s behavior when Enabled/Disable. Toggled to Enable in this case refers to “Motion Alerts” Text Notifications that will be ‘pushed’ or not (different app code-writers I guess). Toggling “Motion Detection” to Disable will not ‘push’ a Notification text to you that is trigger by motion. But also, if the DEVICE screen page for this camera has “Record Motion” toggled OFF AND the MODE “Motion-Detection” is toggled to Enable, the MODE will override the “Record Motion OFF”, then this camera WILL RECORD video when triggered by motion. Ugh . . . confusing, right?

MODE CAMERA CHIRP SETTINGS (SOUNDS):

In each of the Disarm, Home, and Away Mode screen for each camera, tapping on “Chirps” takes you to the Chirp Tones screen where you can Toggle ON or OFF (and then tap “Save”) to either enable or disable the camera chirp sound while in that Mode.

@neila_steve wrote:

Mode Settings = “Home”

Indoor Cam

Motion Detection = on _(which will 'push' a text Notification/Chirps)_

Live View = on _(enables you to select "Live-View" while in this Mode)_

Indoor Cam

3 dots/settings

Record Motion=off _(should not record video when triggered by motion, unless MODE in Enabled which overrides this setting)_

Motion Alerts=off _(disables 'push' text Notifications)_

You didn’t mention any Chirp Sound Alert settings.

@neila_steve also wrote: Essentially what I want is:

So for;

HOME Mode IS an ALARM Mode , and not intended to be used for “No Alarm”, but,

Cameras: For No Alerts (text or sound): Main menu > Devices > Select a camera > MODE SETTINGS > Home > Cameras > select the cam > toggle "Motion Detection to Disable (to stop ‘pushed’ text Notifications Alerts. This can toggled to Enable if your DEVICE page has “Motion Alerts” already toggled OFF). Disabling Chirps (Sounds) is not an available Option in Home Mode. If you do not want sound alerts, you’ll have to select “Silent” in your Device Setting > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones > Silent.

Alarm: Main Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > select the sensor and then toggle Motion Alerts OFF (for Motion-Sensors, to stop text Notification alerts) or toggle Open/Closed Alerts OFF (for Contact-Senors). Select MODE SETTINGS on Home Mode to “Ignore when armed” and “Save” to prevent each device for No Alarm (although most people use this alarm Home Mode to “Arm and monitored” their outside perimeter Contact-Sensors").

So for;

Cameras: For full Alerts (text or sound): Main menu > Devices > Select a camera > toggle Motion Alerts ON and then > MODE SETTINGS > Away > Cameras > select every cam > toggle "Motion Detection to Enable (to get ‘pushed’ text Notifications Alerts). If you want Chirp sound alerts for this camera, in your Device Setting > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones > select a sound.

Alarm: Main Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > select all sensors and then toggle Motion Alerts ON (for Motion-Sensors, to get text Notification alerts) or toggle Open/Closed Alerts ON (for Contact-Senors).

So for;

Cameras: For No Alerts (text or sound): Main menu > Devices > Select a camera > MODE SETTINGS > Disarmed > tap Chirps and toggle “Enable Chirps” OFF and then Save, and backup to previous screen and then select Cameras > select the cam > toggle "Motion Detection to Disable (to stop ‘pushed’ text Notifications Alerts. This can toggled to Enable if your DEVICE page has “Motion Alerts” already toggled OFF). Notice that there was a ‘master’ Chirps (Sounds) Option in Disarmed Mode to enable/disable sounds, regardless of any selected Alert Tones.

Alarm: No Alarm; Main Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > select the sensor and then toggle Motion Alerts OFF (for Motion-Sensors, to stop text Notification alerts) or toggle Open/Closed Alerts OFF (for Contact-Senors). Notice that Sensors can not trigger any alarm in Disarm mode, so there is not any Disarm option.

As you can see, everybody is going to want their Ring Camera & Alarm system set up differently, so they will need to figure out what they want and select their settings (when possible) to be tailored for their needs. Check all of these settings and tailor them to your liking. There will be combinations that can not be accommodated. Can’t make everybody happy. :slight_smile:

I realized this became a detailed and long post, and I’ll apologize now if I typo’ed or got something backwards as I tried to explain and get right what I intended. I hope you find this long, confusing post useful and helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

First, thank you for taking all that time to reply. You’re correct, I didn’t specify if chirping is making me “batty.” That’s off so not an issue. I need to get my arms around all this before I start asking my Ring to chirp at me.

What’s getting me batty is all my confusion and getting alerts constantly when I’m not expecting them. Fair enough - Home mode is an alarm mode.

I know I can manually override. But every time becomes cumbersome so I was hoping for a more automated way to handle this. and I believe it exists, I just need to get my brain around it.

Let try to explain better what I was hoping could be accomplished. Maybe it can’t and it’s wishful thinking.

The indoor camera is my first focus, though it would seem to apply to my doorbell (less of a problem since I almost always want notifications from my doorbell). The motion detector is also of interest. But one thing at a time though if I can solve one, I’m confident I’ve solved both.

In “away” mode, I want everybody (all Ring devices) screaming at the top of their lungs if they pick something up - it’s what I hope to have happen. So far, it feels like this will happen so not part of my concern.

In “disarmed” mode, I want everyone quiet, though it seems that my doorbell and window sensors are still alive and looking for trouble. Doorbell, well, should do that but it seems counterintuitive until I figure out how to disable it, which, as mentioned, I don’t really want but I want the ability. I want to know that disarmed really means disarmed. Again, I realize it may not be possible or I’m just missing how to do it (other than manually - open up specific device and hit toggle switch).

The big one for me right now is “Home” mode. I’m home. I sit and watch TV in my Living Room. My wife walks to the kitchen. We got to our bedroom. The indoor camera and motion detector are currently both in our LR. The LR camera is yelling and screaming each time we take a breath (yelling and screaming translates to sending a notification). The motion detector is quiet since it’s currently not enabled for notifications. I can manually switch the notifcations off when in “home” mode and in the LR or passing by but I was hoping that by switching to “home” mode, it knew that I was home and should cut out all the noise (stop notifications) without manual intervention every time I’m home. At night, I want it back looking for sneaky bastahds in my home during those times. So, I set the schedule for 05:30-23:30 and keep the device toggles for motion alerts on. But then it sends me alerts all day long when we’re passing through the front of it. I don’t want that and thought the schedule would turn that off. Just for fun, I called that schedule “daily disable” to reflect what I thought would happen. I am wrong - it keeps notifying me.

So current issue - focus on indoor camera and motion detector only:

Home mode activated. Motion alerts on. Record motion on. Schedule 05:30-23:30 activated. It’s 11am, we walk in front of camera and it’s the 4th of July in my home with Alexa and Ring yelling and making all sorts of ruckus (ie sending notifications).

Ok, I try to debug this. I change motion alerts and record motion off. Nobody says a word. Ever (except in “away” mode). I set to disarm mode and everybody is quiet (thankfully).

I remove the schedule and go back and forth with it but can’t seem to find the sweet spot. I’ll go back through your directions today and see if I missed a step.

thanks, seriously…

Steve

1 Like

@neila_steve , Ok, Steve . . . You got me scratching my head again . . . better than a Rubik’s Cube (which I can solve), so I’m working on your puzzle issue. I currently have 36 Rings devices, 10 of which are video cameras, but setting up your Ring stuff isn’t suppose to be this hard. It might be due to misunderstanding a little. So to start with, here’s my initial assumptions:

• I’m pretty sure you DO have an Ring Alarm Base Station, and I make that assumption because you mentioned Ring Alarm Motion-Detectors, which cannot work without a Base Station to “Z-Wave” communicate with, correct?

• I’m pretty sure you have a Ring Protection Plan “Plus” because you have multiple Ring devices, correct?

NOTIFICATIONS:

So, the very main thing that is driving me “batty” is why do you keep wanting ALL your device’s Notifications to be ‘going off’ when you are in Alarm Mode AWAY? Think about it. You are not at your home (AWAY Mode), and if any Alarm sensor-device ‘goes off’, the Base Station and Keypad sirens will go off, including the ‘Push’ Notification of a “break-in” to you and the response from the “Professional Monitoring Service” of the “Plus” Protection Plan. So at that very moment when you receive the most important Alarm ‘break in’ Notification, do you really need it followed by another notification from the Living room’s main-door Contact-Sensor (where the Intruder broke in) AND another Notification of the Living Room’s Motion-Detector (that sees the intruder) AND still another Notification from the Living room’s Indoor Cam (that just confirms what your contact-sensor and motion-sensor just told you)? You do not need, nor will you want, all these numerous notifications bombarding your phone. See my point? Right then and there, at the moment of the ‘break-in’, all you really care about is that you’ve had a break-in!

Now, if you really feel the need to know which sensor is triggering during the ‘break-in’, as it occurs in the living room, you still can do that, but you don’t need a ‘pushed’ Notification to determine that. Look at your phone App main Dashboard and notice that you can see your Base Station is “Z-Wave” chatting to all the alarm sensors, displaying the typical scrolling words, like “All sensors clear” and you see alarm Mode “Disarmed” (right below the Alarm Mode Icon buttons of “Disarmed”, “Home”, and “Away”). For lack of a better term, let’s call this scrolling “Z-Wave” chatting thingie the “Z-Chat-Banner.” Do an experiment, and set off one of your Contact or Motion sensors, and look how the Z-Chat-Banner changes to include that triggered sensor.

But, suppose later you want to know which sensor-devices were triggered? Just select each sensor Device and tap “Event History” to view complete Date/Time listing of every “Z-Wave” chat event. All there for you to later figure out where the intruder went. Plus, your interior cam(s) will have still recorded all triggered motion (without the need to notify you). Even if you do not have a Ring Protection Plan at all, your Alarm Base Station will still ‘push’ the ‘break-in’ Notification/Email Alert to you! Even if every cam and sensor device had the notifications all ON or OFF, your phone should be silent and free of any notifications until the “break-in.” So the only device Notifications you really need to be concerned about are in DISARM & HOME Modes.

Double-check you have correctly set your Alarm Email & Push Notifications: You can receive these via Email and/or Pushed Notifications : Main Menu > Settings > Alarm Alerts > at the top, you have EMAIL and you can scroll down and toggle your desired preference for Email Alerts AND then at the top of this screen tap PUSH to toggle your desired preferences for the Alarm ‘Pushed’ Notifications (these are special ‘Pushed’ notifications, designed to still alert you even if your phone is in “Do Not Disturb” mode).

Now I want to clear up something that you might be confused on. “Disarmed” Mode does NOT mean “sensor-Devices-are-Turned-OFF” Mode. Your Ring sensor devices are NEVER turned OFF. They are always ON and ready to “Z-Wave” chat whenever their status has changed from the last time they chatted with the Base Station. Your Video Cameras are NEVER turned off and they are always ‘sensing’ motion, and are always in communication with your Wi-Fi router. The important aspect is WHAT the Base Station does when it receives a new chat (will the alarm trigger on or not), based upon your Alarm MODE and Notification/Chirp-sound settings. And for the video cameras, WHAT behavior will your cameras perform (activate & record with triggered motion and/or allow Live-View), depending on the MODE settings. So these are the better ways to define these terms:

Disarmed = Will not use Z-Chat inputs & function for triggering a siren alarm.

Armed = Will use Z-Chat inputs & function for triggering a siren alarm.

Also, Video Cameras and Doorbell Video NEVER can activate an Alarm in any mode, because the cameras only ‘talk’ in Wi-Fi, and the Base Station only ‘listens’ to Alarm triggers with “Z-Wave” . . . . for the purposes of determining if and when to sound the alarm. So, the motion-detector electronics inside the video cameras can’t substituted in lieu of an alarm Motion-Sensor.

As background information, the DISARM, HOME, and ARMED Mode were originally designed and only to used by the Ring Alarm System. But later, because many customers kept asking for these modes to be expanded to Camera behavior, Ring tried to incorporate some Mode features to tailor some camera’s behavior, even though cameras are NOT part of the alarm system at all. And as you can see, sometimes this melding of two different purposes does have interface drawbacks (Camera Notifications & Chirp sounds).

Whew, so with all that said, you should understand it doesn’t matter what device or cam Alerts you pick when in Alarm AWAY Mode. Therefore, I think you should reassess your notifications. You’re concern should be with “picking & choosing” what you really want or are willing to endure while in both the “Disarm” and “Home” Modes. Try to pick a Notifications and/or Chirp Alert-sounds setting that would always stay the same and be fine in ANY Alarm mode.

For example, do you really need to know WHEN your Indoor Camera is seeing motion and recording at all? None of my Indoor cameras ‘push’ a notification or make a Chirp-sound. The little Blue LED will illuminate whenever the camera detects motion, so you can tell that way. But I covered all my interior cam’s LED with a small piece of black electrical tape . . . the LED was creeping me out, and notifies intruders to “Look at Me!” If you do want a sound triggered by motion, then use a nearby Alarm motion-sensor instead , not the cameras motion-detector (because the 3 Alarm Modes handle Notifications/Chirps setting well).

To give you an idea how I have my personal camera and alarm devices set up:

My personal Indoor Camera settings:

All (except one) of my Indoor Cameras are set for:

• Record Motion=Devices>cam>Record Motion-Toggled ON

• Motion Alerts=Devices >cam>Motion Alerts-Toggled OFF (** No Push texts Alerts)

• App Alert Tone=Devices>cam>DEVICE SETTINGS>AlertSettings>AppAlertTones>Silent

**With these settings, the cam will always Record Video anytime triggered by motion. All (but one) of my indoor cams and all my exterior cameras are Motion & Live-View Enabled in all 3 modes of DISARM, HOME, and AWAY .

One Indoor camera (the most frequently busy family-room downstairs):

• Record Motion=Devices>cam>Record Motion-Toggled Disabled

\*(no recording/snapshots, unless overridden by an Alarm MODE when toggled enable)

• Motion Alerts=Devices >cam>Motion Alerts-Toggled OFF (** No Push texts Alerts)

• App Alert Tone=Devices>cam>DEVICE SETTINGS>AlertSettings>AppAlertTones>Silent

**With these settings, the cam will never Record Video when my Alarm DISARM Mode settings>Camera Selected>MotionDetection toggled OFF and LiveView toggled OFF. I set it this way for privacy when in the downstairs family room. But I’ve selected for Alarm HOME & AWAY Mode settings>Camera Selected>MotionDetection toggled ON and/or LiveView toggled ON (it will record trigger Motions and do Snapshots). So it is active when sleeping upstairs in HOME mode.

My Outdoor Cam Settings:

For all my outdoor cameras and doorbell, I have both Push Notifications ON and Chirps-sounds ON, so they go work in every Alarm Mode the same. I want to know who’s creeping around outside ALL the time (especially before a potential break in).

My Push text Notifications & Chirp-Sound Settings:

All Contact-Senors (Doors & Windows)= Push Notifications ON with Chirps ON

For Motion-Sensors Push Notifications & Chirp Sounds, I use a mixture, some sensors always silent, and some always Chirping or ‘pushing’ a Notification (dealer’s choice).

For me, WHEN the Base Station activates the siren & Alarm, I’ve set:

• HOME alarm trigger for: All doors & windows sensors is armed. Most or all Motion-sensors are not. Here you might want to include a Motion-sensor (like a motion-sensor downstairs, while you all sleep upstairs).

• AWAY alarm trigger for: Every Contact-sensor and every Motion-sensor is armed.

Steve, I hope you find this useful and help you ‘wrap your head’ around this puzzle.

Don’t be easedropping on your devices in the Z-Chat too much . . . . just joking! LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like

So a couple quick things…both of your initial assumptions are correct:

1. we do have a Ring base station and

2. we are currently with the Plus Plan.

However, I *think* your third assumption, embedded in your story about notifications, is not correct. We have no motion sensor at our main door. We bought this kit about a month ago to try it out. It came with 4 sensors. Wife wanted them all on windows in the master BR so there they live (4 windows, 4 sensors, 1 on each window). So, the indoor cam points at our LR and right at the front door so it will function as our sensor until I get one purchased and setup. As a backup, we also have the motion sensor near a back door which also enters near the living room but splits the LR and kitchen. So we wouldn’t necessarily get redundant notification if someone enters the front door and runs for the hills. We do have a ring doorbell and this indoor cam. the ring doorbell as at the front door. I would be quite satisfied if the person hears all sorts of Ring alarm ruckus and splits.

Maybe my confusion is around what a notification is. I think of a notification as something that notifes me - whether home or away. So, if I’m in Zimbabwe and someone enters my home without authorization, you’re darned right I want to be notified. That’s the point. And I want to know where he or she is. So, if indoor camera notifies me, I know right away. If there’s 2 of these clowns with one entering the MBR window and one entering the front door, yup again, I want to know this. So, I’m thinking my Ring app will start buzzing and dancing letting me know something nefarious is going down. And from where. Think about it - wouldn’t you want to know if you’re away?

You wrote:

"Plus, your interior cam(s) will have still recorded all triggered motion (without the need to notify you). "

My response: I do want to know - so I do want that notification. You stated I could look at my app to see what’s going on. Well, if I’m not notified with a push notification, then how would I know to look at the app? I’m feeling as I type this that you’re going to “ah-ha” and say that’s where Steve’s missing something. I hope I’m right.

You are correct, I was also incorrect about Disarmed Mode. I did believe that it was “all alarms and sensors off” mode. Thank you for explaining that. So, I guess the question then is, if I want to open my window without a 4-alarm alert sent out as a 4 city police and fire emergency, how do I avoid that besides never opening my window? I suppose that’s the “sleep” function or whatever it’s called. Or just disable alerts on each device. So, to get some fresh air on the 3 days / year it’s cool enough to do so here in Florida, disable alerts/sensing for each device?

My total gen 2 setup currently is:

1 base station

1 Range Extender

1 Keypad

4 window/door sensors on 4 MBR windows

1 motion detector in LR/kitchen

1 indoor cam in LR

1 video doorbell on front door.

I get the z-wave thing. I watched it going on while setting it up and figured some sort of always-on thing was going on but now I’m trying to figure out how to work within its rules.

Your comment:

"Also, Video Cameras and Doorbell Video NEVER can activate an Alarm in any mode, because the cameras only ‘talk’ in Wi-Fi, and the Base Station only ‘listens’ to Alarm triggers with “Z-Wave” . . .

My response:

This may be where some of my confusion was. I thought, obviously incorrectly, that the video camera and doorbell would trigger an alarm. However, I still would like to be notified (Ring app) if they detect motion so I can manually trigger an alarm or call the police as necessary if I’m home. What I think I learned here is that only the window/door sensors and motion detector will trigger an alarm. Correct?

You said:

"Therefore, I think you should reassess your notifications. You’re concern should be with “picking & choosing” what you really want or are willing to endure while in both the “Disarm” and “Home” Modes. Try to pick a Notifications and/or Chirp Alert-sounds setting that would always stay the same and be fine in ANY Alarm mode. "

Reassessing my notifications - that’s what started this whole thing. I’ve been reassessing them trying to figure out what they should be. Again, for the moment, the chirp thing I haven’t even considered - doesn’t really make sense to me yet (I haven’t looked at that setting nor do I care - yet).

I think I’m going to request your details about your setup and the explanations of all the modes be made into some kind of sticky blog. I can’t be the only one on the planet confused by all this. I’ve been in IT for 20+ years and certainly have never been considered slow but somehow terminology can take a simple concept and turn it into a black box which I think is exactly what’s happening.

Besides, a 5 minute conversation probably would have fixed this but I think I’m *starting* to get it.

1 Like

I just discovered one more thing… In playing around with the motion detection functionality of the camera and the notifications, I confused Ring notifications with the Alexa skill notification. I disabled announcing motion detection in Alexa and that weird blue light still comes on on the camera but at least Alexa – not Ring – is not announcing it anymore.

One small step for my setup, one giant leap for mankind.

Now if I can do motion detection at night in Home mode only, I think I’d be golden.

I still haven’t gone through all your settings but that’s for another day.

1 Like

@neila_steve ,

OK, Steve, I’m happy to help clear up some stuff and try to answer your questions. :slight_smile:

I too have learned a lot from other Ring Neighbors (other Ring product owners) in this Ring Community forum, and found many additional helpful information items at:

[https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us)

I enjoy “paying it back” by trying to help others. I don’t think you are slow at all. On the contrary, I think your mind is complex and maybe over-thinking all of this, because I can tell from your responses that you are trying to cover many possible contingencies all at the same time. Short of hiring a human guard 24/7, no alarms system is going to be able to cover every contingency. But we can get close in many specific scenarios. I hope you aren’t offended by some of my explanations when I attempt to break this down into little ‘bite-size’ segments. I also know I’ll probably be adding some additional information that may help clear things up . . . or might be confusing and “Muddying the Waters” (MTW) more. I’ll warn you that I sometimes get off on a tangent, which I’ve learned drives my spouse nuts too. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you listed all your Ring devices and their locations. It does help me talk with more specificity for your house, instead of with confusing generalities. Before, I did not know how many sensors you have nor where they are installed. So when I was giving that example of, "a thief through the LR door . . . . a motion-detector in the LR . . . . your LR Indoor cam . . . all sending Notifications, I was not saying these are my assumptions, but rather I was just trying to make a point that you really don’t need all these Notifications while in the Alarm Mode of AWAY. But we can tweak some of the Notifications to get closer to want you want for your many possible contingencies.

Z-Chats for Alarm Sensors:

Z-Chat = Z-Wave signal from sensor to the Base Station. Sensors are always ON. Unless broken, only dead batteries or battery removal can truly turn sensors OFF, and then the sensor cannot Z-Chat at all. Sensors will always Z-chat every change-condition to the Base Station. The Base station then decides WHAT to do about this new Z-Chat information. Depending on the sensor-device settings that you set for this specific sensor, the Base Station could sound the Alarm siren, or send a text Notification, or Chirp a sound, or ignore this Z-Chat completely. A device can also Z-Chat if it has been tampered with. But every Z-Chat will always be displayed on the Z-Chat Banner and logged in the “Event History” for that device too. Of the 3 Alarm Modes, Disarm Alarm Mode is not an Alarm Activation Mode, so any Z-Chat from a sensor will never activate the siren.

• Contact-sensors (magnetic reed-switches): Used for doors and windows that open & close. Every time these sensors sense a change from an “open-to-close” condition or a change from a “close-to-open” condition, they Z-Chat. For Alarm activation in an enable Alarm Mode (either HOME or AWAY), Contact-Sensors Placement designated as “Main Door” will be handled in accordance with the Entry/Exit Delay alarm time settings. Contact-Sensors designated as “Secondary Door” or “Window” will activate Alarm Modes immediately.

- Motion-sensors : Are sophisticated, passive, infrared sensors. When these detect a heat source that is also moving, they send a single Z-chat signal that “something warm is moving” = Motion Detected. Then the sensor waits and does not Z-Chat for a period of time called a “Dwell-Time” as it continues to ‘watch’ the movement silently, while the Z-Chat Banner continues to display Motion Detected. At the expiration of the Dwell-Time, if it still ‘sees’ motion, it Z-Chats again Motion Detected, and the Z-Chat Banner continues to display Motion Detected. If the motion is gone/stopped after the Dwell-Time expiration, it Z-Chats that Sensor has stopped detecting motion, and the Z-Chat banner displays the sensor is clear. Dwell-Time for Gen1 sensors is 3-minutes. Dwell-Time for Gen2 sensors is approximately 30-seconds. Dwell-Time prevents the sensor from sending out multiple alerts for the same motion. Sorry, I’m off on a tangent . . . and MTW?

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Things-you-DIDN-T-WANT-TO-KNOW-about-Motion-Detectors/m-p/49013#M4879

As for the type of Alerts you can get:

Notifications Alerts : These are the text-type messages that appear (pushed) on your phone. These are the numerous texts that are driving you ‘batty’ because there are so many. These are toggled enabled/disabled for each device and/or camera. Whatever you set for that specific device, you are going to always receive these in all 3 Alarm Modes. The Modes have no control over these. On sensors (Contact or Motion), it’s pretty straight-forward about setting these text Notifications to ‘push’ to your phone or not: That’s why they make you “batty.” You can toggle to get (or not get) a text Notification on your phone for when the Contact-Sensor is “Open” (Open Alert), or when the Contact-Sensor is “Closed” (Closed Alert), or have both toggled OFF for no text Notifications at all ever. Again, choice you make on these text Notification toggles will be the remain the same, and a text Notification with appear on your phone regardless of the 3 Alarm Mode selection.

Chirps Tones Alert: These are audible sounds alerts. Also labeled as App Alert Tones on Video Camera devices (different label, but the same thing as a Chirp Tone). Whatever Chirp/Alert-Tone choice selected on the “Owner” Ring App will be heard on that smart-phone and the same tone heard on the Base Station and Keypad. “Shared Users” can select different Chirp/Alert-Tone to hear on their phones. Again, choice you make on these sensor Chirp Tones will be the remain the same, and you’ll always heard regardless of the 3 Alarm Mode selection. The weird exception: When Alarm Mode behavior is selected on a Video Camera device, displayed is a Chirp toggle option that should allow or inhibit all sounds, BUT I’ve never had an luck with this toggle on my android (appears it does NOT affect either Chirp or App Alert Tones). What MTW more is that the correct sound Alert term for cameras is “App Alert Tones” (not sensor “Chirp Tones”), which adds to confusion. There is not this Alarm Mode Chirp option (to allow or inhibit all sound) on a Sensor device. More MTW confusion.

Alert commonalities for Alarm Mode settings:

• You should make choices for ‘push’ Text Alerts (Notification) setting on each device, knowing that Alarm Modes (Disarm, Home, Away) have NO impact and NO control over these settings. Whatever you set on the device (sensor or cam devices) will occur in all 3 Alarm Modes.

• You should make choices for Sound Alerts (Chirp Tones & App Alert Tones) setting on each device, knowing that Alarm Modes (Disarm, Home, Away) should but don’t currently have ANY impact and NO control over these settings. Whatever you set on the device (sensor or cam devices) will occur in all 3 Alarm Modes.

How to set up your systems:

Now on to your Video Camera system and Alarm System set-up. It is best to think of these as two independent systems, a Video system and an Alarm system. And that these two separate systems just happen to share one single Ring App. Each system cannot affect the other system. But of course, to MTW, there is an exception. . . The Alarm System Modes can modify the behavior of the Video system via the 3 Alarm Mode settings. But the Video System can NEVER communicate with the Alarm Base Station to activate the Alarm System.

With that said, as an example, suppose you did not have an Alarm system but ONLY had a Video system. You could use Video system’s Notification-Alerts and App-Alert-Tones features to inform you of activity, thus acting like a “Poorman’s Version” of a real Alarm system. Even the outdoor Floodlight & Spotlight Video cameras come with an independent Siren that you can manually activate (but these sirens cannot be activated by the Alarm Base Station . . . MTW).

But if you DO HAVE BOTH systems (Video and Alarm), it is initially wise to avoid substituting a video feature feature that could be better accomplished with an alarm sensor (example: using the Video motion-detection in a room with an outside door is better accomplished with a Contact-sensor on that door). If you really want to have a Motion detection ability in a room, it is better to add an alarm Motion-sensor (not rely on the Video cam for motion-detection). This way you can better adjust/modify/control/tailor for what you are really trying to accomplish. Video systems make video recordings. Alarm sensors perform alarm-type functions. Attempting to use Video features for alarm-type duties can quickly become messy and complex in trying to achieve a desired set-up to handle multiple possible contingencies.

@neila_steve , here’s some of my recommendations for you.

• In your mind, separate the Video system and the Alarm system in your head. Think of them as two independent systems (which they are). Stop trying to use the Video Camera’s motion-detection ability as a substitute for an Alarm motion/contact sensor. Personal Safety is worth more than any cost-cutting efforts for a Motion or Contact sensor. Then think on how you wish to achieve a desired solution to a possible contingency. Think of these two systems as complimentary, not as a substitute (using one video system device to substitute for an alarm system device). This will simplify everything.

• When you want Alarm activation features, be in Alarm Mode HOME or AWAY. Disarm is not an Alarm activation Mode, so avoid trying to use it as one.

- As per your examples :

• So, if I’m in Zimbabwe and someone enters my home without authorization,_ you’re darned right I want to be_ notified.” If you are away in Zimbabwe, and nobody is at home, be in AWAY Alarm Mode (Contact & Motion sensors active). If someone is at home, be in HOME Alarm Mode (Contact sensors active, and maybe a non-used room with an active motion sensor). All your doors and windows should be closed and locked. Put Contact-Sensors on all house entry/exit doors, and then even in non-alarm Mode of Disarm, you will know.

• "S_o, if indoor camera notifies me, I know right_ away. If there’s 2 of these clowns with one entering the MBR window and one entering the front door, yup again, I want to know this" : Stop trying to use the camera for alarm notification purposes . . . it’s main purpose is to record video, not inform you about thieves inside. Alarm Contact sensors and motion-sensor are designed and better suited for this purpose. The Contact-sensor on the MBR window will Notify and/or Chirp. A Contact-sensor on the front door will Notify and/or Chirp. So you will know this. Using proper sensors is the best way to answer the question “wouldn’t you want to know if you’re away?

• _You wrote: ‘Plus, your interior cam(s) will have still recorded all triggered motion (without the need to notify you).’ "_My response: I do want to know" : Again, stop using the cam as a “Poorman’s version” for an Alarm Sensor duty. Put a Motion-detector sensor there. Or use Door Contact-sensor. An Alarm-sensor will Z-Chat and accomplish the higher-priority duty to activate the Alarm siren. “Knowing where he is” is a secondary-priority, and you’ll know (notification/chirp) that too from the more appropriate proper sensor.

• _"_I want to open my window without a 4-alarm alert sent out as a 4 city police and fire emergency, how do I avoid that besides never opening my window? I suppose that’s the “sleep” function or whatever it’s called. Or just disable alerts on each device" :

Here you have several options.

1.) No need to disable any device. Open the window before activating HOME or AWAY Alarm Modes. When you try to activate the HOME or AWAY, the Base Station remembered the last Z-Chat from the window, so the arming process will stop and your App will display " “Window Open” and give you two choices: “Cancel Arming” or “Bypass and Arm.” You can cancel, go to the window and close it and arm the alarm. Or you can select “Bypass” which means you’re Alarm system will arm but now the Window is no longer considered or protected.

2.) For a bypass window Contact-sensor, you can utilize a motion-detector as a back up if you desire to leave the window open. If you place a motion-detector in the room, avoid pointing the sensor directly AT the window to minimize any sunlight or blowing (moving) hot air entering the room and possibly activating the motion-sensor. You could put a motion-sensor in the hallway right outside this room, so any thief entering the room should encounter this sensor when he moves out of this room.

3.) You can also still protect the open window with an additional Contact-sensor magnet that is positioned to ‘close’ the reed-switch when the window is in a semi-open position. Yes, you’ll have two magnets now. The open window should be opened enough for the airflow, but a person would still need to open it further to gain entry. Some windows already have additional latch positions, or a stick can be used to hold it open at the proper height for magnet alignment.

https://shop.ring.com/products/window-magnet

• or

https://store.ring.com/collections/accessories/products/alarm-slim-magnet

• " . . . incorrectly, that the video camera and doorbell would trigger an alarm. However, I still would like to be notified (Ring app) if they detect motion so I can manually trigger an alarm or call the police as necessary if I’m home." : Yes, cameras cannot trigger an alarm. I do recommend you have text Notifications AND sound App Alert Tones both ENABLE for you doorbell. That’s what the Doorbell is designed for! I also recommend you Disable Notifications/App Alert Tones for your Indoor Camera. Stop trying to substitute the camera’s motion-detection ability for alarm-type uses. Instead buy/use Contact/Motion sensors better suited for this job. Remember, trying to substitute this Indoor cam for alarm type duties is what is driving you “batty.” The is a better non-batty method.

• Please do try experimenting with the Chirp and App Alert Tones. All it is just an audible alert. These sounds are brief and much less annoying than text Notifications. With the choices, you can instantly know what sensor or camera got activated. For example, whenever I hear “Cowbells” I instantly know it’s from a camera monitoring my driveway. My Motion-sensor near the staircase lets me know whenever someone is going down or coming up. You’'ll find it handy in some scenarios. Also, I find it nice to know when someone is coming through an outside door (different sound choices inform me which door too).

• “What I think I learned here is that only the window/door sensors and motion detector will trigger an alarm. Correct?” Correct . . . mainly. The Contact-sensors and Motion-sensors are the primary and most used alarm sensors. But, there area few more! Here are some:

I own this:

https://shop.ring.com/products/panic-button

I own this and got a house insurance discount for having it, in addition to the “Professional Monitoring” insurance discount too:

https://shop.ring.com/products/first-alert-smoke-co-alarm-zcombo-g-z-wave

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-flood-and-freeze-sensor

And of course there is YOU. You can use the Keypad or phone to activate the Alarm system.

Using the smart-phone is cool for this. In multiple locations on your Ring App, you have quick access to the Red Shield “Exclamation-Point” icon (upper-right corner of Dashboard, Camera video device, or on “Live View” by first tapping the blue “+” icon). It’s safe to experiment with this. Go ahead and try . . . just tap that red “!” icon. Then you’ll have 3 slide-choices of which emergency agency you need (details on what actions will occur are written there in each choice). Then try sliding (swipe-right) one of the choices. Now you get a Count-down of 5 seconds to hit the “Cancel” at the bottom, before the signal actually goes out. Also, notice there is a blue bar “Sound Siren Only” at the bottom, which does not notify the Professional monitor people. But tapping this blue bar will sound the Alarm Base Station Siren and Keypad Siren.

You can also experiment with changing between “Professional Monitoring” and “Self Monitoring” and you can flip back and forth between the two choices without effecting your Ring Protection plan. Main menu > Settings > tap on “Monitoring” (beside it displays Professional) > on next screen tap on “Professional” > select “Self” and Continue. Now that you are in “Self Monitoring”, it allows experimenting setting off your alarm without worry of cops arriving (but it will be loud until you disarm). Also note that the “Exclamation-Point” icon changed from a Red Shield to Double Parentheses, a quick indication you are no longer Professionally Monitored. Now if you click on this weird “Self” Parentheses-Exclamation-Point icon, you can see you have only one available button to click, the house Sirens. All ‘pushed’ Notifications and sound Alerts will still work to your phone, including the Alarm Activation notification. Later, don’t forget to return back to Professional Monitoring again.

:slight_smile:

Well, I really hope I didn’t MTW for you. I hope you find this useful and helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@neila_steve ,

Steve,

Dang, after I posted, I saw a section with some misleading information. Here is that section concerning the Chirp Tone Alert (Sound) with little corrections and more clarifications:

Chirps Tones Alert: These are audible sounds alerts. Also labeled as App Alert Tones on Video Camera devices (different label, but the same thing as a Chirp Tone). Whatever Chirp/Alert-Tone choice selected on the “Owner” Ring App will be heard on that smart-phone and the same tone heard on the Base Station and Keypad. “Shared Users” can select different Chirp/ App Alert-Tone (sound from camera-devices only) to hear on their phones.

_Chirps are sounds Motion/Contact sensors make and "Shared Users" cannot alter_

_ these sounds. Chirp sounds are heard only when the Contact-sensor Opens. _

_ Currently, _there is not a Chirp sound for when the Contact-sensor closes. If you

_ do not w__ant to hear any Chirp sound at all, select choice “Silent.”_

_ App Alert-Tone are sounds for camera activations, and “Shared Users” can_

_ alter the sound choice on their phones, which does not affect the sound on_

_ the “Owners” phone, Base Station, and Keypad._

_ _

Again, choice you make on these sensor Chirp Tones will be the remain the same, and you’ll always heard regardless of the 3 Alarm Mode selection. The weird exception: When Alarm Mode behavior is selected on a Video Camera device, displayed is a Chirp toggle option that should allow or inhibit all sounds, BUT I’ve never had an luck with this toggle on my android (appears it does NOT affect either Chirp or App Alert Tones). What MTW more is that the correct sound Alert term for cameras is “App Alert Tones” (not sensor “Chirp Tones”), which adds to confusion. There is not this Alarm Mode Chirp option (to allow or inhibit all sound) on a Sensor device. More MTW confusion.

2 Likes