Inconsistency

I have a Ring Video Doorbell
It has never worked consistently.
Yesterday, it worked fine, I received notifications, was able to see a live view.
Today ~ nothing, no notifications, can’t access live view

Any suggstions?
I’m ready to try a hammer.

I am having the same issue tonight. Can’t bring up live view. Was not recording earlier while we were outside moving around. I rebooted our router but now I’m thinking it’s a Ring issue.

@NZHawk wrote:

Yesterday, it worked fine, I received notifications, was able to see a live view.
Any suggstions? I’m ready to try a hammer.

Most of the time, intermittent difficulties accessing “Live View” are Wi-Fi related. Ring Video requires a much higher Wi-Fi data-stream connection, and if not, you may encounter problems (Slow or No “Live View” connections, Black-screen videos, etc.). A strong signal connection doesn’t necessarily mean a good data connection. I too was having intermittent/delayed Live View connection and occasional Black Videos issues with one of my cameras. Now, both my Live View connection and Black Videos not longer occur and Live View is established rapidly every time! In my case, even with a good RSSI (a low value of 48) signal strength number (displayed on “Device Health”), my issue was the Wi-Fi path of the Video data-stream between the router and my camera (was passing through a double-brick fireplace with a metal chain grating in front of it). This path degraded my data-stream. Since I couldn’t move my router nor camera (to improve Wi-Fi reception or path), a Wi-Fi ‘repeater’ type-device enabled me to have the signal path “go around” the brick/metal grate. Any good 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi repeater, placed about half the distance between your Router and cam should help both with your poor RSSI strength and choosing a low-density-obstruction path (or the Ring Chime Pro, which I did purchase which solved my signal-path interference issues).

Check your Wi-Fi router. If you have two SSIDs, you will need to find out which one is 2.4 and which one is 5, and then you will connect your Ring device to the SSID for the 2.4 Ghz network. In my experience, Ring high-data-stream video does NOT do well competing with other Wi-Fi devices for bandwidth of 2.4GHz. Since my router is both Wi-Fi 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz, I moved as many of my other devices (that were 5GHz capable) to only use the 5GHz band, thereby reducing the competition for the Ring Cams. I reconfigured my dual-band router’s into two separate SSID log-in names. I named the 2.4GHz band to “2WireXXX” and named the 5GHZ band “2WireXXX 5G” leaving both with the same password. Then my other Wi-Fi devices that could use 5GHz, I used “forget this network” and then logged them onto only the “2WireXXX 5G”.

You might want to look into modifying your 2.4GHz Channel Selection too, to minimize interference issues created by neighbor’s routers or signal-generating devices in your home (microwaves, electric motors, etc.). In the router’s default “Auto” mode, routers often pick a mainly from commonly-used channels in Auto Mode (Ch 1, Ch 6, Ch 11). But accessing my router’s configuration through my PC browser and using a downloaded App on my Window’s PC (Wifi Analyzer and Scanner), I configure my router not to use its Auto Channel Selection Mode, and rather stay on the 2.4GHz channel of my choice . There are 11 channels (1 thru 11) to choose from. In my case, I found that Ch 4, which is in between the typically used channels, gave me the strongest signal and lowest interference, according to the Analyzer App. This channel did reduce the Wi-Fi interference I was getting from my neighbor’s routers. I also did noticed an improvement on my Ring cameras connection speed too.

If you still have issues, re-post here (someone might have another solution), or try searching through the Ring On-line Support, such as: https://support.ring.com/ and then select “Product Support” for your device.

or

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023556192-Fixing-Poor-Audio-Video-Quality-by-Adjusting-Your-Router

Or you can call Ring Support by telephone:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

I hope this helps you

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I assigned a channel to the 2.4 and that solved the issue. Live view comes up faster than it ever has.

1 Like

@NZHawk wrote:

Any suggstions?
I’m ready to try a hammer.

@Dixie12 wrote:
Thank you for the info. I assigned a channel to the 2.4 and that solved the issue. Live view comes up faster than it ever has.

Ah @Dixie12 , I’m happy to hear this solved your issue. :slight_smile:

@NZHawk , I hope that all or part of my answer helps you, as it helped Dixie12. And if you find that my answer helps you, I’d appreciate it if you would accept it as a solution (click on the ‘Accepted Solution’ button next to reply).

:wink:

1 Like