I bought a ring door view cam from a retailer and it appears it is previously registered

Hi
I purchased a Ring Door View Cam from Argos on Saturday 19th December 2020 (2 days ago).
I tried installing this yesterday and was displayed a message telling me that the doorbell is still registered to its owner.
On reading the “Learn More” support article, I understand that I am to try and contact the seller or the original owner, and therein lies my second issue.
Large swathes of the South East of England were placed in Tier 4 lockdown meaning as from 0001 20th December 2020 (yesterday), non essential shops were forced to close. Therefore I can’t do as I’d normally have done, ie take the item back to the store and exchange for another.
I did contact Argos to see if they could offer any help, but they advise contacting Ring. Apparently you may be able to reset the device as you’ll be able to check whether it is installed. I also note in the “Learn More” that an email is automatically sent to the original owner asking them to deregister the device. That’s ok, if they read the email.
I am therefore stuck with a device that I can’t presently do anything with. I am really hoping that you can reset this doorbell, I can supply proof of purchase & MAC ID

Hi @Sherwoodbowlingalley. The best course of action would be to get a replacement from the retailer. If this unit was previously owned and returned, it may be due to a defect. As always, we want you to have the best experience with Ring and we are here to help. If you need to contact our support team, please give them a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.