How to disable Live View recording

My Video Doorbell 3 drains battery every few days due to the Live View recording. Is there a way to change the settings to record only when someone rings the doorbell or when there is motion?

Right now, it is recording every couple hours or so of video with no activity of any kind.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @Toan1. You can disable Live View by using the Modes feature, which you can learn more about in our Help Center Article here.

Thank you for the response Chelsea but the mode option is not exactly what I was looking for. I want the Video doorbell to record whenever there’s motion and when someone rings the doorbell. What I don’t want is the periodic recording of the live view even when there’s no activity of any kind because it’s draining the battery very quickly.

Thanks,

Toan

Hi @Toan1. Are you talking about the Snapshot feature that gives you those pictures every 5 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the interval you picked? You can learn more about that feature here. You can turn off Snapshots under your Device Settings for your Doorbell.

My stick up battery cam only records when i view live video. I have a motion zone set up and the sensitivity set to where it should be but the camera still doesn’t pcik anything up.

Paul

Hello,

@Chelsea_Ring this is the actual issue OP was talking about and I’m requesting exactly the same feature: Disable Live View auto-recording feature. A simple Enable/Disable Live View option in Settings and a Record button on the Live View stream should fix it. Just leave the option of recording the Live View stream to the customer, please.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I have the same request. I use the live view feature on my indoor cam to check in on my dog. However, I do not need it to record every time I do. This is a feature that needs to be selectable by the user.

2 Likes

Same here. I just bought out system on Black Friday. May take it back. When nobody is home and I’m upstairs I like to leave the Camera on so I can watch downstairs. This can sometimes be for 8 hours or more. I just wanna see the camera not record anything.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue! I do NOT want to record during live view. We have a Stick Up Cam indoors we wanted to use for child monitoring, and I will have to get another camera brand solely due to this lack of feature!

1 Like

I, too, would like to see this feature implemented. I up-voted the feature request linked above.

1 Like

Same here. I just installed my Ring camera and it’s so annoying I can’t just watch without recording. It does not make any sense, we need two buttons: live watch and live record, so that we can choose what we want to do in a specific moment in time.

1 Like

@ring At first I could not believe that such a simple feature of not recording live video was not given to the user and rather being forced as a default design to record. Second, this feature request is pending implementation for the last 2+ years. Not sure if the RING is really customer-centric or listening to customer feedback and requests. Disappointing.
Wish I could have known this before purchasing the doorbell and cams.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.