How to change ring entry alarm time to 10 seconds rather than 30 seconds

How do you change the ring alarm entry time to 10 seconds rather than 30 seconds? As 30 seconds is too long, as intruder could disable the alarm before it ever went off.

Hey @No1welshboyo. The shortest amount of time you can have the entry delay be for either Home or Away mode is 30 seconds, apart from 0 seconds. What I recommend in your situation is two different ways to handle this:

• You can set the delay to 0 seconds for all modes, and ensure you are arming/disarming from the Ring app. This will give you time before you walk into your home to disarm it. You can then ensure all users that would use the Keypad before are set up as shared users with access to the app to arm/disarm as well. With this, you do run the risk of a false alarm if you do not have access to your phone.
  • Your second option is to ensure that all devices have the proper placement. Even with an entry/exit delay, this delay is only subject to the sensors that cause a delay in your system. Any Contact Sensors or Motion Detectors that have a Placement like Secondary Door, Window, or Room (for Motion Detectors), will not cause a delay and will automatically set off your alarm when tripped. I recommend only making sure there is a delay on the garage door (if you enter from the garage) or front door (if you enter through here). Ideally, you could make them all have this immediate trigger by ensuring the Placement is how you want it. You can manage the placement by going into the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > Sensor > Gear icon at the top right > Placement, and ensure you save whatever you change.

Hope this helps clear this up for you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Chelsea appreciated the long response.

1 Like

Its would be the most simple thing, to allow the user to type in how many seconds delay they want, can you please change this, as 30 seconds is way too long and about 10 seconds is still ample for most situations, particularly where the keypad is near the door. It is stupid not have the option to change ourselves and even more stupid the lowest time for entry is 30 seconds. Pleases address this very simple fix with your software engineers, it will take them a couple of minutes to correct.

1 Like

I need to add that suggesting 0 seconds delay, makes your keypad pointless and useless. Please fix this.

1 Like

I agree, this is a major drawback for us. In a small place (or office), 30 seconds gives plenty of time for someone to disconnect the siren and/or steal several items before the neighbors are notified. A 10-second option (or even 5) would make this product more dependable in my opinion. Does anyone know if this will be addressed soon? I am considering switching to another system…

1 Like

Finally somebody said it! Yes 30 seconds is ridiculous. We should be able to pick the seconds ourselves from a spin wheel.
Or at least have 3-5-7-10 second options.

Am I the only one who read the 2nd option 4 times and still don’t understand?

Hi @AliRing. The Entry Delay only applies to Contact Sensors set as a Main Door and Motion Detectors set as Entryway. In a typical home, this is only going to be a Contact Sensor on the front door and maybe a Motion Detector in the entry hallway or room. The moment an intruder triggers any other Contact Sensor or Motion Detector, the alarm is triggered, assuming the 30 seconds hasn’t already passed.

Oh, wow, thanks, that definitely helped. I still wish you guys would let us pick the countdown time, but this does help my issue. I must say, I am very satisfied with the many Ring options, and fast response. Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.