How do I turn off Alexa saying "Someone is at the front door" from Echo?

How do I turn off Alexa saying “Someone is at the front door” from Echo? I just want the doorbell sound, not Alexa speaking afterwards.

1 Like

Good question, @emem! This can be done by editing the routine, or creating one with a different sound selected. You’ll notice our help center article lists the process for creating a routine with Alexa and Ring is as follows:

• Open the Alexa app on your mobile device
  • Tap More in the bottom right-hand corner.
  • Select Routines from the menu.
  • Tap the plus sign to Create Routine
  • A screen titled New Routine will appear.
  • Tap on and Routine Name and name your routine.**
  • Tap on When This Happens and tap Smart Home, select your Ring device you are creating the routine for.
  • Select which capability you’d like to set up.
  • Select Add action , and then choose which action it completes.
  • To receive a push notification when motion or contact sensor is triggered, select Send notification .
  • Under From , select which Alexa device controls the Routine.
  • Tap Create .

As shared by other neighbors in the past, Creating a similar routine and adding an “Action” of “Sound”, and choosing the sound, might accomplish what you are looking for. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This doesn’t work.

It only adds a new sound before the doorbell chime and the very annoying someone is at your front door.

2 Likes

Hi, Ring. We just want the doorbell sound! No need for Alexa to say “Someone is at the front door” every time. Give us that option, pretty please?

If I disable the notification entirely on Alexa, then I lose the video feed on the Echo Show…

2 Likes

Hey neighbors. In the Alexa app, you should have the option to turn off Doorbell Press Notifications. Under Devices > All Devices > your Doorbell > Doorbell Press Notifications can be toggled on or off. You may be able to use the Routines feature to set up a Routine to have Live View activated when someone presses the Doorbell, which should be separate from the Doorbell Press Notifications. Since the options you have available will vary depending on which Ring devices and Alexa devices you have, I’d recommend trying it out to see what combination of settings and Routines work best for you.

1 Like

You may be able to use the Routines feature to set up a Routine to have Live View activated when someone presses the Doorbell, which should be separate from the Doorbell Press Notifications.

How? - the option for live view as a routine isn’t possible.

1 Like

Has anyone here managed to stop the voice announcement?

It’s a real shame I can’t make the most of the Halloween sounds as the voice completely ruins the experience.

1 Like

Hi @mykaitch. Try disabling the Ring Skill in your Alexa app, then reenabling it. Let me know if that worked.

This doesn’t work. As far as I’m aware, the functionality is working as it should. Live View and Announcements are (in my opinion foolishly) lumped in together without the user being able to discern between them. You can either have both on, or not on. It’s a product development / integration oversight. For hundreds of years, a simple bell was sufficient, but if you integrate with Alexa, then it has to be voice announced, or work out your own routine of some kind, for every device. It really needs addressing.

2 Likes

I have the opposite. Mine used to announce when someone was at my front door or, on my cameras, if someone was at the backdoor or garage. Somehow they all turned to chimes so now I don’t know which place is detecting the person. I would like to turn it back to the announcement of “A person was detected at your front door”, “A person is detected at your garage”, etc.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? The above suggestions do not work! This has nothing to do with creating a routine on the Alexa app!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.