High Voltage Ring Wired

I originally set up my transformer at 24v, and the Device Health section of the app said the voltage is at 39v and is too high. So I set the voltage to 16v, and checked it with a multimeter. It says there is 18.7v coming from the transformer, yet the Ring app is still saying there is 39v. The voltage from the wires that I connected to the Ring device corresponded with the reading I got from the transformer, so why is it reading 39v? Anyone out there have this problem?
I am using a Hampton Bay transformer. The Ring app is trying to get me to purchase a Ring transformer. Maybe this is just a marketing technique?
Thank you for your help.

Just a heads-up, for anyone who has this problem: our Ring is now saying transformer power is good. Maybe it takes a while for the system to update. Yeah, I was worried about it. I’m not the most handy person on earth, so installing the doorbell took me all day, following the instructions and being deliberate about my work. So really didn’t need any problems.
Y’all take care and have a good one.

1 Like

Hi @Mazinblaster. I’m glad to hear it’s now reporting that the voltage is good! If you ever have any future concerns with the voltage, don’t hesitate to reach out to our support team so they can help take a look with you and make sure everything looks good. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I have that error code too!! I replaced the existing transformer with a 16V 20VA transformer and it’s still reading 37V! How long did it take to recalibrate?

Hi neighbors! I wanted to provide another update to this thread with some information regarding your voltage readings. Our teams are currently looking into reports of Video Doorbell Wired devices incorrectly reporting a transformer’s voltage. While our team is investigating and working to resolve it as soon as possible, in the meantime, feel free to reach out to our support team for further information or troubleshooting to ensure your device is working as it should. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi. Is this resolved now? I have a Ring.transformer with a Ring Pro and it says my voltage is too high at 30v. It is telling me to disconnect the wires and get a new 24v transformer.

Please advise

Thanks

I have same issue with my app telling me to disconnect the wires to avoid damage to my doorbell. Customer services told me the resister could be failing and if I wanted to I could replace it, but also said I could just leave it as it is it shouldn’t cause any issues and just to ignore it. Not very reassuring when the app shows ‘Danger’ in red writing! Anyone got any further updates re this?

Was this issue with voltage ever resolved? I have just fitted a new ring doorbell with an aftermarket power supply from Amazon. The app states it’s receiving 33v. I have checked with a multi meter and it is actually receiving 24v. I don’t understand why this hasn’t been addressed. These doorbells are not cheap!

Hi there, @Simonjharley! Indeed, we had our teams investigate this concern some time ago and it should not be happening. If you are still experiencing this power reading, feel free to reach out to our support team for a more in-depth look, using the links in my previous response. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi, just to say I also have this exact problem. 24V out of transformer, but app says danger 39V. Seems like a common problem and it would be good to know what the plan is to fix this given it is a safety feature that is faulty.

This should not be happening unless power is exceeding the requirements, or an incompatible power supply is being used. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Agree this should not be happening but it is. Just installed a Ring wired doorbell today and received the same warning. Metered the power supply and came up with 24.1 VAC at the output. Device health thinks it’s getting 37 volts. Even if the detector circuit is ignoring the standard convention of measuring AC in volts RMS and is instead measuring volts peak, it would only be getting a reading of approx 34 volts. Very strange.

Had a ring video wired in Amazon UK along with a third party 24v supply.

Just after installation, got the red warning message in the app, warning to switch the device off immediately, 32volts.

Switched off and back on and it read ‘health good 25v’.

Checking every few hours for the last few days and has been no issue since.

Perhaps it’s a bug that gets fixed with a firmware update once device is online?

Hi @Motorway. This could be because you are using a 3rd party 24v supply. Ring devices have only been tested to work with the Ring Plug-In Adapter and for this reason, that is the only power supply that I recommend. If you do see a high voltage warning, I suggest disconnecting power to the Doorbell and contacting our support team.