Help needed with hardwiring Ring 2 and Honeywell DW915s

Hi there

I am looking for help. I have a Ring 2, a Honeywell DW915s doorbell and a 12v transformer which I cannot get to work.

Firstly, if I hardwire the Ring 2 to the transformer, the Ring 2 Hardwire LED (white) illuminates. All good so far.

Secondly, if I hardwire the Honeywell DW915s to the transformer the Honeywell doorbell works (without batteries!). Still going strong!

If I directly contact the 2 wires that should connect to the Ring 2, the Honeywell doorbell activates. Perfect!

However, if I connect the two wires to the Ring 2, the white LEDs do not illuminate and the Honeywell DW915s does not chime. The Ring 2 rings as per normal, however, it does not activate the Honeywell doorbell and the battery is not charging.

Can anyone here help? The Ring support team have not been able to help me.

What I have tried:

• some forums state you must have batteries in the Honeywell. I have tried this, does not work

• some forums state you donā€™t require the diode. I have tried this, does not work

• some advise to swap the siode around. I have tried this, does not work

• some advise to increase power to 16v. I have tried this, does not work (8v + 24v connections)

• I have increased the gauge of the wiring - does not work

• I have manually wired each component on the lounge room floor - does not work

• I have replaced the Ring 2. I have upgraded the transformer from 8v to 24v. I have purchased the Honywell DW915s - does not work

I have not tried 24v power as the Honeywell states to 16v only.

I have attached photos of my wiring. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

David

Youā€™ve certainly done a lot to get this to work @oldman_david ! We appreciate your resourcefulness. Some neighbors have reported success with this model after ensuring the following criteria is met:

• 8v to 10v transformer
  • Connect the wires coming from the transformer into the AC1 (positive) and AC2 (ground) terminals of the Honeywell chime kit.
  • For the wires coming from your Video Doorbell; Connect one of the wires to A1 terminal and the other wire to the AC2 ground terminal.
  • Try without the Diode as many report better results this way.
  • Try with the batteries inserted into the Honeywell chime kit.

Of course, I see you have completed most of the steps above, but perhaps this method as a whole will yield better results. Let me know if this works for you!

Hi Marley

I finally got back to this installation last weekend. After nealy 4 hours, I got this combination to work!

My wiring (and your instructions below) were correct. However, this set-up on its own was not enough.

Background:

My goal was to hardwire the Ring 2 and combine with a Honeywell DW915s third party door bell.

Please remember my frustrations:

• Ring support desk suggested the first Ring 2 was faulty so I exchanged my first Ring 2 for another one

• Ring support desk suggested my existing 8V transformer may not be providing enough power so I purchased a new transformer capable of output from 8v to 24v

• Ring 2 sent me a list of external doorbells that worked with the Ring 2 - so I replaced my existing doorbell with the Honeywell DW915s

• I spent many hours trying different wiring combinations after the initial Ring wiring instructions did not work.

Finally, using my existing 8v transformer, no diode, batteries in the doorbell, the comination worked.

I noticed the 8v transformer was capable of powering the Ring 2 (i.e. this activated the white light) and the battery status would show the the electrical charge sign.

I noticed the 8v transformer was capable of powering the DW915s (without batteries).

However, when wired as per the instructions, the Ring 2 would not display the white light (deomonstrating the Ring 2 was hard wired).

Solution:

I started to question myself if the Ring 2 was receiving enough power when the wiring was connected the the DW915s. So I started to increase the power in incremental steps up to 24v. This did not work.

So I then tried to connect a wire from AC2 to A1 directly. Whola! The white light on the Ring 2 activated. I pressed the doorbell (on the Ring 2), but the DW915s did not chime. Obviously, this solution does not work with the DW915s.

However, once the white light is activated on the Ring 2, you can then remove the wire connecting AC2 and A1 and the white light (Ring 2) remains hardwired! Why this works, I have not idea. But it does. 24 hours later, still going strong.

Therefore, the solution is:

• 8v transformer
  • No diode
  • Batteries inserted into the Honeywell chime kit
  • Connect the wires coming from the transformer into the AC1 (positive) and AC2 (ground) terminals of the Honeywell chime kit
  • For the wires coming from your Video Doorbell; Connect one of the wires to A1 terminal and the other wire to the AC2 ground terminal
  • Place a wire from the AC2 (ground) terminal and the A1 terminal. This will activate the Ring 2 (White light) - hardwire status
  • Once activated, remove the wire between the AC2 and A1 terminal. The white light will remain activated

I hope this solution helps many people and saves hours of frustration.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Marley

It seems this solution is not permanent. After a week or two, the hardwired status of the Ring Doorbell turns off (and the white lights go out) and the Honeywell doorbell no longer activates from the Ring device.

Since posting the ā€˜solutionā€™, on 2 occassions I have needed to repeat the final two steps to get the set-up working again.

Given my temporary solution, does this help the Ring team zoom in and propose a permanent solution?

David

This solution worked. No need for diode.

Basically connect blue wire from ring to blue wire from the transformer (AC current) so positive or negative does not apply.

Then connect brown wire from ring to brown wire from transformer

This will power the ring doorbell (white ring on the front)

Then connect the joined wires of the blue wires from the ring and transformer into AC1 (basically ring blue, transformer blue and AC1 all joined together)

Then Connect the joined wires of the brown wires from the ring and transformer to AC2 (basically ring brown, transformer brown and AC2 all joined together)

Now connect. A loop wire between A1 and AC1.
Check the picture

Done ring is powered, the Honeywell is powered and a signal gets sent to A1 to trigger the honeywell when you press the ring.

Done!

2 Likes

Getting that to work is driving crazy, it took us a lot of hours and internet researching. But after one year having it in the house just connected with Alexa we took another try today after we had ordered an resistor.

I attached a picture, that shows how it works for us. We have a 4-12V Trafo. As the Honeywell needs 8V we set the transformer on 8V.
We needed a resistor 25 Ohm / 50W to get it working.
Brown means energy from the transformer - blue back to the transformer.
With this solution we donā€™t need a battery in the Honeywell and no diode in the back of Ring.

2 Likes

This solution worked for me as well and I use a Ring Doorbell 3 Plus. Also make sure that you have the ring device configured to call the chime, otherwise it will not call the chime even if the wiring is correct. In my case I use a 12 volts transformer. A previous solution listed right before this one and similar to this but without the resistor is dangerous because if you touch together by mistake the 2 wires that go to the ring and you donā€™t have the resistor, you effectively short-circuit the transformer and you will damage it, as I did.

Your solution without a resistor (as in the next solution) is dangerous because if you touch together by mistake the 2 wires that go to the ring and you donā€™t have the resistor, you effectively short-circuit the transformer and you will damage it, as I did.

Attached is a wiring picture of Ring Doorbell 3 Plus attached to Honeywell SW915S wired Doorbell. That should work also with Ring 2.

I recommend using a 25 Ohm / 50W resistor when the doorbell is AC powered, that would protect the transformer in a case of wires shortcut at the doorbell.

No battery required for the Honeywell SW915S as it is AC powered.

Really appreciate all the advice given above, but none of the solutions worked for me with a 2nd Gen Ring doorbell and a Honeywell DW915S.

I ended up getting a simple 12V AC electromechanical relay, and then adjusted the Ring using the app to ring a mechanical chime. Works extremely reliably, and I can power both the Ring and the Honeywell off the same 16v AC transformer. Hope this helps someone, as itā€™s much better than relying on the Chime that Ring gave me (which needs an internet connection to function, not just WiFi) and costs Ā£10.

Hi all,

I would like to connect the Ring 3 to the Honeywell DW915S chime.

Could someone verify if it can be connected as per below wiring diagram I made?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I have a ring doorbell 4 and I would like to connect it to honeywell 915s. Could you tell me please if your solution is working for the doorbell 4? Can you sent a picture for the connection?
Thanks

Hey Everyone, IĀ“m just fighting actually also with the DW915S and the Ring Wired Doorbell.

IĀ“ve tried the same wiring connection as @oldman_david ldman_david what IĀ“ve also expect that will work, but did not due to low power I think to the Ring Doorbell.

the @RINGBoss your prefered wiring, give me already the power for the Ring and the DW915s as written. Unfortunately attached pictures are not availabel anymore, because I donĀ“t understand the wiring concept with the wiring loop between A1 and AC1 for the ā€œsignalā€ within the DW915S. :man_shrugging:

That could be helpful and cool, if you can post again your wiring diagram or picture as you already do before. :grinning:

I sitting here really with an big question mark actually. :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.