Help! I've adjusted settings a million times

Why does my doorbell miss SO MUCH??? I have pictures of 100 cars passing by but my doorbell doesn’t seem to catch the people on my porch! 3 deliveries today and not 1 on camera. Even when I went out the front door it didn’t catch me. What the heck!?

Hi @Renae. Are there stairs leading up to your front door? If so, this can often cause problems as your Doorbell’s line of sight lines up with the street, so it detects cars passing by too often. This can be corrected by using a Wedge Kit to angle the Doorbell’s view down so its line of sight is more aligned with your front porch rather than the street. You can also find some tips on how to use the Motion Zones in our Help Center Article here. I hope these tips help! :slight_smile:

We have a hard-wired Ring doorbell next to our garage. Today it captured our car going out of the garage with a cold engine (twice), but then it didn’t pick up the same car in the same path returning a half-hour later with a warm engine in 35 degree weather. The path to the garage is the center of the motion zone, and the side of the car passes within ten feet of the doorbell.

This is an intermittent problem that no setting changes seem to solve, along with random “slow connections” that also resolve themselves at random. Doorbell’s RSSI is -35, device health reports no problems, and I have assigned it a static IP. It communicates with a tri-band Netgear Orbi router with a satellite rated to cover 1,500 square feet placed within 30 feet of the doorbell. Connection speed at the doorbell using Ring’s test is 100+ down and 35 up.

What am I missing here?

Hi @bill6. Depending on which model of Doorbell you have, you can try adjusting some of the settings for optimal motion detection. The Doorbell is designed to pickup visitors at your door primarily as opposed to cars, but vehicles will still be picked up sometimes as well. I’d recommend reviewing our Help Center Articles on Motion Frequency here and on how our motion detection works here. If you continue to have motion detection concerns, I’d recommend touching base with our support team at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: