Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
M
Help - hardwired doorbell not charging
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell
Hi, I've wired up my Ring Video doorbell to my existing 19VAC doorbell supply. I've removed the existing doorbell. I've inserted a 25Ohm 50W resistor as specified in the instructions, in series with the doorbell. The resistor is HOT to the touch, and there is about 8VAC being dropped across it, and about 650mA current flowing to the Ring. The button on the doorbell is glowing WHITE continuously, which I think indicates that the unit is receiving power. (Right ?) The ring doorbell itself is also 'warm' at the top of the housing around the camera area. The doorbell does work normally. However, on the application on my phone, it reports that the doorbell is powered by 'battery' and the battery is indeed discharging, albeit slower than usual I think. I've tried removing and re-installing the battery = no change. Any ideas what could be wrong or further troubleshooting ? Could my doorbell be defective ? We've owned it for about 2 years and always used it on battery. Thanks Mike

20-07-2021 07:52:37

Responses (4)

C
Hey @MikeC1. The glowing white light normally means that the device is receiving power and is in an idle state, or receiving power and completing a firmware update, so it seems it's just in the idle state based off of your situation. How much is the Doorbell's battery depleting power after usages? Wiring the Doorbell helps gives it a trickle charge, but the battery will have to deplete a little before it then charges it back up slowly, as much as it can, between activations. During the time of the battery being recharged, it should show as hardwired and receiving power. Although, if you see the battery just constantly going down and not up, it may be best to check in with out support team to have them look more into it and see if they can see it charging or a history of charging on their end, as well. If you need it, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). Let me know how this goes!

20-07-2021 09:06:00

M
Hi, thought I'd give you all an update. I called Ring support and they confirmed that the doorbell does recognise that it is hardwired, but the central application wasn't recording that status. That's not my phone application, but the 'cloud' application. After a few days, this was resolved an my doorbell now shows 'Hardwired' status on the phone app. Sadly however, I'm still only getting about 4 days use out of the unit before the battery dies, even though it's hardwired 24x7. I have about 10-14 activations a day, and take a snapshot every 15 mins which I don't think is excessive (is it?). That's just the family coming and going, a couple of deliveries etc. It only triggers if someone comes onto our driveway, not when people walk past the house. Have spoken to some work colleagues who confirm that they regularly get about 3 weeks use. The only real difference seemed to be they have stronger WiFi (RSSI -40, vs mine which is -60). I'm now faced with a problem:- a) Is my doorbell defective ? b) Is my battery defective ? c) Is this just the way it is for my use case ? I'm reluctant to buy a new unit on the gamble that my one is defective but at the same time I can't have a system which won't even last a week without having the battery removed and recharged. I'm quite happy with the concept that this is a trickle charge and I do need to charge the battery periodically, but not every few days. Will let you know what I do. Mike

04-08-2021 08:51:44

M
Hi, Probably my last update on this. A couple of relevant things have happened since my last update, a) I put a wifi repeater close to the doorbell - I now have a RSSI of -52. However this didn't seem to change the battery drain. It still only lasted a couple of days. b) I re-made all my wiring connections through the resistor, soldered/crimped all connections, new bell wire where I could get to it easily. c) The doorbell went into a state where it did a firmware update as soon as I put the battery back in after connecting the new cable to the doorbell. Now, it is showing hardwired, and has stayed at 100% charge for the last few days. Looks like it is now working. I'm not sure which of the above changes have resolved the problems. I don' t think it was the addition of the wifi repeater which would point either to the cabling being at fault, or a firmware update being applied. For now it's working and I'm not going to make any more changes but will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks. Mike

14-08-2021 11:53:55

T
Hi @MikeC1. Thank you for the update and I'm glad that this is now working for you!

16-08-2021 07:39:10

M
Hi everyone, I thought I'd not need to put another update on here. However, my doorbell has again started to discharge over a period of about 4 days. It still says hardwired, it still has the continuous white ring on, and there is still measurable current flowing to it. This time nothing has been touched, no wires, no reloads, the battery went from staying at 100% for over a week, to discharging over about 4 days. My unit is either defective, or the battery is defective. Not sure, but I will probably Bizarre. I am probably going to give up on this doorbell, and get one which is powered only, i.e. no battery but a fully wired one. MC

27-08-2021 05:28:40

C
Hi @MikeC1, happy to chime in here. Thanks for sharing another update on this concern. In this case, it may be best for you to touch base with our support team now so they can look into this further and troubleshoot more in-depth with you in order to determine the root of the problem. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). Feel free to report back on how that call goes or provide another update with any other solution you find works for you. :)

27-08-2021 10:37:05

M
Hi, Just to let you all know I gave up on that doorbell. I bought a powered one which was on sale and it works perfectly. Just trying to work out how to 'swap' doorbells on my protect plan, but that's being asked in a different thread. Mike

26-09-2021 09:33:51

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

U

user_3c8999

User
Solution

D

Danielhrch

User