Google Wifi and Ring Doorbell 2

Hi all, I just got a Ring Doorbell 2 and am having an issue setting up with my Google Wifi. I only have one node, going straight off the modem, as I have a small house. I tried setting up the Ring and it goes through the set up fine. Connects to my wifi initially. But when I get to the screen where it tests my connection it says it can’t connect. I skip and sure enough the doorbell says it is not connected to the internet. It’s strange though, I get motion alerts but can’t view them until a few minutes after the alert and I can’t access live view.

I called support for my first Ring which they said was defective and sent me a new one. Exact same issue. My guess is there is some issue with the Google Wifi switching between 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz simultaneously. I tried setting up the Ring on the guest network and even tried to walk far away from my house to hopefully just pick up the 2.4 ghz signal, but no luck. Any ideas?

Hey there, @Sylkicks! If your Google mesh network is constantly switching between 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz networks for whichever is the best at the time, there is usually a feature in the router’s settings to turn off so that it won’t continue to switch.

This is more likely than not the root cause of why this is happening, so I would recommend reaching out to Google for support to see if they can assist with this.

In addition, here are some articles that may help explain what else could be causing it to not connect:
Understanding Wireless Signal Strength, How to Make WiFi Work for You, and The Protocols and Ports Used by Ring Devices (best for checking the settings on your router).