Ghost "someone's at your front door" alarm notifications

I have a Ring doorbell pro (front door), Ring stickup camera (front year), Ring floodlight camera (backyard) and Ring Alarm (retrofit kit) installed in my home. The Alarm Retrofit kit is 6 months or so old, but all other units have been there for over 2 years.

Everything was working correctly till a month back. Since then, I am getting ghost “someone’s at your front door” announcements from the Ring Alarm base station at least once a day. The funny thing is the doorbell doesn’t ring, I don’t get any push notifications on the phone, there’s no video recorded and there’s nothing in alarm/camera history in the app when tis happens. It’s just the base station announcement.

This makes me think it’s something to do with the Alarm base station. I have tried rebooting it by unplugging and plugging in the power and network cables, but that didn’t help. Any ideas what could be going on here?

Hi there, @arunka! The Alarm Base Station should not be sending Camera or Doorbell related alerts. While the Alarm system can link with your Ring devices to trigger recordings, as well as play Chirp Tones for Alarm device related events, a Doorbell event should not be notified through the Base Station. If a door is reporting activity through your Base Station it is likely due to an Alarm Sensor or Motion detector. The best next step will be to check your Alarm devices and their respective settings in the Ring app. This is an odd occurrence to hear of, and so if this concern persists without reason or not in an intended manner, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am sorry, my Echo Dot and Ring Alarm Base Station sit next to each other. It is the Echo Dot making false “someone’s at the front door” announcements, not the Base Station. I rebooted the Echo Dot, but it happened again today. Any thoughts?

1 Like

@Marley_Ring I found out what is happening.

I have two adults in my Amazon household account. My partner has a different home with a Ring Doorbell. Whenever someone rings the bell in that home, the Echo Dot in my home announces “someone’s at your front” door because we both are part of the same Amazon Household.

Question now is, how can I separate these two accounts from Echo Dot, but keep it two accounts within the same Amazon household?

1 Like

Thanks for the update on this, @arunka! That explains a lot. While I’m unsure if the alerts from the other household can be controlled by you, I did find this Amazon Alexa article that might help. It mentions notifications as being shared by household users, but also contains a link to manage your household settings. This might contain options for this. There should also be an option in the Alexa app in regards to devices and alerts received, but if not, the previous article should be of assistance. I hope this helped! :slight_smile:

Thanks @Marley_Ring.

There is an option within the Alexa app to disable which devices can make the announcements. However, what I find really concerning is, there is no way or me to delete my partner’s Echo devices from the Devices section in my Alex app. What’s even more concerning is, I can control (rename, change volume etc.) my partner’s device from my Alexa app. This is a big gaping privacy/security issue. Am I overlooking something here?