Getting inside doorbell to work

I recently installed a Ring 2 video doorbell. It works perfectly except I cannot get the inside doorbell to work correctly. The inside doorbell is just a dign-dong analog, as far as I know. Two wire. 20vac transformer. Simple momentary button to ring the doorbell.

When I connect as instructed (no diode, wires to the ring device) there is constant continuity to the inside doorbell creating a hum. The inside doorbell is energized constantly causing a single ding then constant hum, but never a dong. Tried reversing the wire with no change. Remove a wire and the hum stops. Touch them together and apart and the doorbell rings normal. But with both wires connected to the Ring I get the ding and then constant hum.

So, my questions are, does anyone know the fix for this, and in lieu of that can I simply run both wires from the transformer directly to the Ring so that it charges, and then just abandon the inside doorbell?

Thanks

Mark

Great questions @Mdtaylorlrim! It looks like you’ve taken all the proper steps for this to work. A continuous hum could be caused by wires touching or shorting. Please check the wiring at the Doorbell and the chime kit, to ensure they are not crossed/ touching. It sometimes helps to flip the wires on the terminals in the back of the Doorbell 2 as well.

If this concern persists, please check our Chime Kit Compatibility List to ensure yours is compatible.

If you do find it fitting to bypass your chime kit, here is our help center instructions on wiring a Doorbell 2 directly to a transformer. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks Marley, I cannot find any model number on the doorbell inside at all. It does say Nu Tone, Cincinatti, OH but no numbers. I even removed it from the wall to take a peek on that side. It has likely lost a glued on label at some point. It does look nearly identical to the one found here ->

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/article\_attachments/202291846/Mechanical\_chime.jpg

The same wording about cleaning, same three screw terminals, but a slightly different wiring diagram, I think.

I did find the wiring diagram to connect the transformer directly to the Ring for charging only and ordered the resister in the event I am not able to solve my issue. In the long run I think I will replace the 15 year old doorbell that was installed by the builder with a new doorbell selected from the list of compatible devices. At least, that’s my plan at this point.

Mark

1 Like

I finally did abandon the idea of having the analog doorbell inside working. I obtained the resister and installed as shown (I’m no stranger to electronics) and the Ring 2 indicates that it is now hardwired.

However, it still drains the battery after two days.

So, this is where I am, for the benefit of others…

Live View is presently disabled as this contributes to battery drain.

Snapshot capture is presently disabled as this contributes to battery drain.

If this improves my battery life significantly I will enable the two features one at a time and see if I can determine an acceptable battery life.

I also have a multitude of 24vac, 20va transformers on hand to try, if those would be acceptible.

Mark

Hi @Mdtaylorlrim - take a look at this article on why your battery may be draining quickly. Thanks!

Thanks Jennifer,

I have already seen this article and considered each point.

Live View is disabled.

Snapshots are disabled.

I get one doorbell press a week, maybe.

Motion area is significantly reduced and I get a motion alert about three times a week. Maybe.

And I live in Southeast Texas. Not exactly a frigid environment.

Changing the transformer today when it gets in. If that does not do it then I’ll replace the ring doorbell. It’s not worth the hassle.

Mark

The doorbell button only carries one side of the transformer voltage. When the doorbell button is pressed the circuit is complete to the chime or buzzer that has the other side of the transformer voltage. The RING doorbell requires both sides of the transformer to supply the complete voltage. I hope this helps you.