Geofencing mode

Their geofencing feature is absolutely useless, waited years and this is what we get a notification to set - what !

Why not an option to arm/ disarm ?

Its available in the UK to remind us butā€¦guess what?..even that doesnā€™t work!

I have set it up and made sure notifications on my phone are turned on etc but NOTHING

No reminders when I leave or return home

Absolute rubbish!!!

I realize this is a very sensitive subject for many here. I just want to add some thoughts, as I got notified today of the newly available geofencing feature (am in the US).

Though it may surprise some to hear, I am NOT going to take advantage of this much-awaited ā€œopportunityā€ā€¦for my Ring video doorbell, at least. I think thatā€™s an important distinction for this discussion.

I do totally agree that for an indoor Ring camera, geofencing is vital to avoid both notifications and recordings (as my Canary cams have had for years). And if you donā€™t use a Ring Doorbell, you can skip the rest of this comment.

If you DO have the doorbell, you too may think ā€œthis is coolā€, as itā€™s indeed annoying to get alerts every time you come and go or are on your porch.

But as I contemplated using the feature for my Ring doorbell, Iā€™ve decided to pass, for a couple key reasons. Iā€™m curious if anyone thinks Iā€™m wrong on these:

• I donā€™t want to have the doorbell stop alerting me (be auto-snoozed) simply because Iā€™m home when someone unexpectedly may be at my door , like a porch pirate who may not show the courtesy of pressing the Ring doorbell
  • Itā€™s not even clear from my reading on the Ring site whether notifications about the pressing of the doorbell would also be disabled. If it still would alert, thatā€™s good to hear.
  • And while the feature still records while alerts are auto-snoozed, thatā€™s not my main desire when someone is unexpectedly on my porch. I want to be notified right then, even while Iā€™m home

Again, for indoor cameras, it TOTALLY makes sense to stop the notifications while home, though the fact that it still records seems very disconcerting, if thatā€™s indeed true for the indoor cameras.

Just wanted to share those thoughts. I realize that in this thread itā€™s a bit risky to comment at all as this is such a sensitive subject. Again, I share this for existing doorbell owners, and perhaps to hear if someone may feel I ā€œhave it wrongā€ in my assessment of the problem in using geofencing for that.

Finally, FWIW, it could be helpful to know going forward if those wanting the feature so much are indeed seeking it for an indoor camera or a doorbell. The use cases and concerns would seem quite different.

1 Like

While Iā€™ll still use this new feature, I think a lot of the point was missed.

Whats the point of having a ā€œhomeā€ setting if the only way I get reminded to turn on my security is to have everything on ā€œdisabled ā€œ.

Shouldnā€™t I be able to swap between ā€œhomeā€ and ā€œawayā€?

Isnā€™t that like, the main use case for geofencing?

Iā€™m forced to now configure ā€œdisarmedā€ as if it is ā€œhomeā€ and one if the other two as ā€œawayā€.

hmm maybe if i configure ā€œawayā€ as ā€œdisarmedā€ and ā€œdisarmedā€ as ā€œhomeā€ and ā€œhomeā€ as ā€œawayā€ then it will finally work like it should. iā€™ll get notified when i come and go, and iā€™ll still be able to disarm it if i need

think about how ridiculous that sounds

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a Ring Doorbell for several years and a Canary system for my inside/outside security. I recently decided to scrap my Canary Cameras in favour of Ring and have just installed the Floodlight and Indoor Cam. Performance is great but Iā€™m amazed though that I cannot set these up to arm when I leave the house and disarm when I return - a feature Iā€™ve had on my Canary cameras for years. Iā€™ve just searched and found this thread and now wish Iā€™d researched more before taking this particular plunge. Surely the geofencing should allow me to change automatically between Home and Away modes? Is this planned for implementation?

Iā€™ve got this to work. You need an Alexa and ifttt and another device which has geofencing auto arm; we have tado heating which switches between home and away mode but Iā€™m sure there are others with similar triggers. Hereā€™s how I did it.

1. Create an ifttt rule: if tado is set to away, then send Alexa action with Mkzense.
  2. Enable the ring skill in Alexa
  3. Create an Alexa routine using the app and select: When- IFTTT trigger-1.
  4. In the Alexa routine, select add action and select ā€˜Customisedā€™ and type ā€˜arm ring alarm to away modeā€™ in the text box.
  5. Give this routine a name and your done.

Now your ring alarm will arm to away mode whenever your tado heating is set to away (or any other geofencing enabled tech compatible with ifttt)

1 Like