Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
Z
User Solution
Closed
Function of Circuitry INSIDE Doorbell Button
hardwired-video-doorbell
battery-video-doorbell
troubleshooting

Does the circuitry INSIDE the doorbell button assembly actually have anything to do with the activation of this action? Yeah, I know, odd question. Let me explain…

I have an unused Ring doorbell model and want to activate it via automation. Since my skills/equipment can’t handle micro surgery, I was just going to use a simple push/pull solenoid to active this button in a remote location (downstream of a driveway alert relay). I see that the whole button assembly plunges down onto a smaller button on the internal circuit board. Inside the exterior button itself is circuitry that is connected to a ribbon cable separately and doesn’t immediately look like it has anything to do with the doorbell activation. In other words, it looks like the design uses this hollow space for efficiency in cramming as much performance into as small a package as possible.

Does anyone know if this assumption is correct? Of course I’ll find out when the chance to get my geek on happens later on. Who knows, maybe Ring has a driveway (magnetic) sensor in the works…

Peace,
Dr. Z.

22-01-2024 08:57:40

Responses (3)

T
User Solution

Hi @Zeigh. Although this looks like a fun project, it has to be said that this can be potentially hazardous. Altering a Ring device in any way will impact how it was intended to function. I would advise you that this procedure has not been tested and, if connected to power, can be dangerous.

26-01-2024 03:42:19

Z

Thanks for the reply. You made the Ring lawyers very happy. Now, if anyone else would like to chime in, it would be appreciated.

Update: My original post was focused on the Elite model and I now see that the battery powered doorbells have a different button. The Elite unit has a more pronounced button with longer contact travel, while the battery models have a flush button and minimal strike distance. Likely I can keep the case intact with a Doorbell 2 and use a larger/stronger solenoid. Of course I could more easily hack a Ring contact sensor to achieve my goal, but then be stuck with the higher Ring Protect Pro subscription.

Regardless, I just now discovered that Ring does not have the ability to assign different alert tones to different doorbells or other devices for their Chime units to announce. Wow, what a glaring design foresight that so many customers have been asking for. The only alternative alert sound is that of cricketts.

Peace,
Dr. Z.

30-01-2024 06:41:00

S

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

29-02-2024 06:41:40

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User