Front door requires bypass if open

Thanks @AndyC1. I will test this. My belief has always been that the door contact sensor does not work at all if bypassed. You don’t hear the “ticking down” when you enter if it’s bypassed, as it’s not active. If you just stand by the door nothing will happen. If you trigger another sensor by walking into another room etc. the alarm will immediately sound. This means you can enter, forget you set the alarm as you have no warning and then set it off.

I could be wrong so will test your theory.

It’s still no good as I want the entry warning so I remember to disarm. I have grudgingly come to live with though (closing door then setting). Ring have added floodlight siren and now glass break sensors, so it does look like they are listening, it just takes a while.

WOW. It’s now 2 years since I first posted.

I would suggest everyone upvote these feature requests to get this feature in. I agree that the alarms I have owned in the past allow you to have the door open and arm the system and that door without a bypass.

https://community.ring.com/search?q=bypass%20if%20open%20%23products:feature-request-board

1 Like

Blimey - what a palava. Firstly not having read the instructions and just went live, backtracking and fault tracing to find my front door wasn’t armed, but bypassed is just an additional nonsense. Then to find it’s a topic of conversation running for years is ludicrous. Some Ring employee is going “mugs” for buying a half arsed system then dumping any request to fix in the trash can. Well I’m about to move house and won’t be considering this system on the basis of customer service

1 Like

Yup - it’s just not intuitive. Why haven’t ring got a work round - beats me

@Marley_Ring please do something about this!

Just installed Ring and amazed this feature is not available. LIke others have said, it’s a simple software tweak and will make a valuable feature available to all users. Bizzare that Ring are not responding

Can’t believe the topics been running for years and still no fix.

Worst thing is, not even an answer from Ring to say they’re working on it, or that it will ever be fixed.

Do we know if they’re even planning on fixing this? Absolutely stupid design and can’t understand why they would think it was desirable for it to function this way. Yes bypass it while it’s open, as in don’t stop the system from arming, or cause it to make the alarm sound, but as soon as the door is shut, you want it included so it sounds the alarm if opened again.

2 Likes

So what really get’s me is sometimes I would arm the system when the door was closed, but mostly I would not and do the Bypass. I thought the Bypass just meant that I acknowledged there was a door open. Then, when I did the bypass and came home and the door didn’t trigger the entry delay, but still chirped, I was really confused.

I thought there was something wrong with my alarm. I called Customer Support and explained what was happening. I didn’t mention the bypass as I honestly thought it didn’t matter. After 45 minutes of showing the guy on the phone that the system did work (since I was arming the system when the door was closed, then opening it) he said “Every thing looks fine to me”.

I was so ticked off because I told him that it didn’t work every time. Now one could say I should have known about the bypass, but I also think that the guy should have at least asked about it. I went online for weeks trying to figure out what was going on, and never considered that the bypass was the problem until I read more about it.

This needs to be addressed RING. You should have the alarm set up to be able to arm and not bypass when the door is open. At the very least in the Ring App it should say Front Door on Bypass so that people can troubleshoot. It should be on the homepage when I open the app right under the modes in red or yellow so someone can clearly see.

Again, I will admit not knowing about bypass and what it meant is not the fault of Ring, as they do lay it out clearly in training and on directions, but if someone calls in and says the door is set to main, closed and away and still not always triggering entry delay or alarm as it should, stop saying maybe I didn’t set it to away mode and ask “did you bypass”. Make this a question on your troubleshooting, and I guarantee you someone like me will thank you for fixing their problem.

I am still upset that I can’t have the door open while setting the alarm, but now I at least have an answer that my alarm does work. I was seriously concerned that I was going to set off a false alarm without the reminder of the entry delay as the chirp is on another level.

Just installed Ring. Googled this issue and here i am.

So… leave kids outside whilst i shut the door and arm the alarm - no

Do it on the app - just a second whilst i open my phone and turn on the alarm… keypad rendered useless… no

Think I’ll swap it for a motion sensor instead.

This problem is still not fixed? It would be so simple. On the main entry door… put a setting that will allow it to be open when the system is set to Away. Then as long as it’s closed during the away time countdown… it would be monitored. Just give us the option… RING listen to your customers and what they need!

1 Like

Hey Neighbors! I’d like to share this Help Center article here about the Ring Alarm Quick Exit. This new feature allows you to open a door without Disarming the Alarm and setting off your Alarm by using the button on your Contact Sensor. Be sure to update your Ring app and let us know how you like this feature!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this new feature with us here; unfortunately it does not address the ask in this thread at all.

The new Quick Exit feature is all about making it easier to leave the house / let a pet out when the alarm is in “Home” mode - for example, at night time. By contrast, this thread is about making it easier to leave the house under more typical circumstances, ie. going from “Disarmed” to “Away”, by allowing a Main Door contact sensor to be open during the process (without needing to bypass it).

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Currently, it is not an option to arm your system with an open Contact Sensor without having to bypass that Sensor. You can utilize the Exit Delay so you have a set amount of time to get out the front door before your system is fully armed. For more information on how to use Entry and Exit Delays, please review this Help Center article.

As Tom mentioned in a previous reply, we do have the Ring Alarm Quick Exit feature available now, which may be helpful in certain scenarios such as taking the trash out or letting a pet into the yard. Regarding the request in the original post, you can find the associated feature request made by the original poster below.

I’m marking this reply as the solution so that neighbors who come to this thread can easily locate the associated feature request and add their feedback there as well as vote on the request if they’re interested in this feature. The Feature Request Board is the best way for us to gather and share feedback with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just installed a Ring Alarm system. I am completely baffled as to why this hasn’t already been implemented. There’s no point in having a countdown if the door you’re leaving out of isn’t going to be armed anyway!

regarding the laborious work-around of arming when the door is closed, then opening the door and leaving and closing the door behind you, I would like to point out that it is difficult to impossible to herd all family members, pets, and aliens, if applicable, through the door in that short minute. A workaround to this workaround’s shortcoming would be to be able to customize the armed delay to two minutes or five minutes, say.

But, I want to emphasize that the original problem is easily fixed through maybe two lines of code by even a very junior software engineer… this is basic functionality that is very easy to implement and is a major flaw of the existing Ring Alarm system. Ring should count its lucky stars that nest bowed out of the home alarm space. If for nothing else but this shortcoming, I would instantly quit Ring and go to Nest if it were still available

Ring Support please stop blathering on about the quick exit system as a solution to this problem. Instead, please fix the problem so that I can arm my system with the main door open so that when I return I hear the entry delay message and countdown. I don’t care how you provide the solution (and there have been many good suggestions on this thread) please get on and do it!

1 Like

I can’t believe this thread exists for an alarm… Of course people want to set the alarm with the front door open or closed and have a number of seconds to leave and shut the door for it to be included in the monitored trigger sensors whilst away. Absolutely mad that this doesn’t already exist. I was so confused when trying to set my alarm as to why it wouldn’t work and found this thread and can’t believe it… This issue alone would make avoid recommending a ring alarm to others. It’s like the most basic feature you would expect from an alarm.

I can’t believe I started this thread nearly 3 years ago this still hasn’t been fixed. What’s worse is Ring still don’t even seem to acknowledge it’s a problem. Crazy.

1 Like

How can they mark that as the solution? It has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. Starting to think that the reason it isn’t getting fixed, is that they don’t understand the problem in the first place, if they think that the quick exit feature is a solution to this problem.

Looking like it’ll never be fixed at this rate, I don’t even bother setting the alarm half the time as I’m halfway out the door and can’t be bothered to step back in, shut the door, put the code in, then open the door again and exit.

This isn’t related in any way to the problem the thread mentions.

Can we please have some acknowledgement that this is either an issue Ring would like to fix, or confirmation that it will never be looked at, so at least people can factor it in when looking at whether or not to purchase a Ring alarm?

Like everyone else in this thread I’m having this same annoyance and I struggle to understand how this has been open for 3 years without a fix. Surely every other alarm lets you set while opening the front door?