Front door requires bypass if open

I’ve recently purchased a Ring alarm kit and could not agree more with McLovin. Its the front door and right next to the keypad and is set to the exit main door. I just want to be informed its open (according to the contact sensor) and then as I am right next to it I want to ignore the warning and DONT want to bypass it. Just leave and shut the door behind me. OKAY if it says its open and I can see it is not then I go and see what is wrong with the sensor etc and optionally bypass it to set the rest of the system (a rare event). Opening the main front door for other people and arming from the keypad next to it with the door open is a common event. Please do a software update to allow this scenario and simple change the prompt to “bypass or close the door” and as long as you close within the exit delay then set the alarm with all sensors included.

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring @Ring
Plus one here. The way ring works when I keep the door open and arm it is very counterintuitive. I just switched from simplisafe and I found this behavior odd! We want to be able to arm the system when my front door is open and expect the system to arm and include the front door in monitoring when it is closed. For scenarios where I have to keep the back door open for a dog, I just expect the sensor to be bypassed as long as the door is open and all other sensors armed. When the door closes, it should get included in monitoring and be armed. There really isn’t a genuine use case where you want the house armed and one sensor unarmed for ever and allow it to open and close multiple times.

Another plus one here. The main door should be exempt from the bypass warning/function, obviously. If I’m standing at that main door and about to exit, and will of course close the door behind me after I leave, it makes no sense to treat that sensor the exact same as some random window sensor on another floor, at the other end of the house.

The purpose of bypass warning is to let you know you forgot something open, and ask you if you’d like to arm anyway without that particular sensor being monitored. How do we need to be warned that we forgot the door open, when we’re actually standing at it and about to leave?

1 Like

100% agree, this has had me stumped for the past few weeks! it make no sense to have to close the front door to arm the alarm and then open it to go out. having read through the thread it does not seem if @ring have acknowldged and are planning on addressing this issue

1 Like

I was frustrated about the sensor bypass too. I know this solution is not ideal for everyone, but I have a work around that I am really happy with. I use an Alexa routine to arm my system when I leave the house. I simply say “Alexa, good bye” and she sets my ring to away mode. I keep opening the door, then having to close the door, say goodbye, wait a couple of seconds, and then open the door. I just added an action to the routine to wait 15 seconds before arming. Now if I open the door I can say good-bye and then close the door behind me and she will arm the system within 15 seconds. She also says “Goodbye” back so I know she heard me before I close the door. I also get the notification on my phone that the system was armed. This is perfect for me. Hope this helps somebody.

3 Likes

Thank you, but I do not have an Alexa, and I’m never going to have one either (sorry, Jeff). The keypad and app are already viable methods to arm/disarm, and there shouldn’t need to be a third, and more convoluted, way to make this simple functionality happen.

Throwing an additional concern into the mix - this is decreased security in another area as well… If I try to arm when my front door is open, then acknowledge that the sensor requires a bypass (because realistically who’s going to break into my street-facing front door in the daytime anyway; plus I have a main floor motion sensor nearby), I actually have no idea if some OTHER sensor (e.g. my secluded backyard basement door) is open and I’m now bypassing a much more likely ingress. I could check the app, but avoiding the app is a recurring point people are making in this thread. I don’t want bypassed sensors to suddenly trip the alarm 2 minutes after I leave the driveway; I just want to link a particular keypad to one or more sensors which need not be cleared when I’m arming from that keypad.

Thank you for the continued feedback on these features and functionality of the Alarm system. Rest assured that your feedback is being shared with our teams here for consideration.

In the meantime, feel free to check out our Feature Request Board and add your interest to any relevant requests, or even create a new request for any specific feature wishes. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and being great Community neighbors! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would also like this feature. I have a sensor on my garage door and would like to be able to arm the system with the garage door open. It would bypass to open contact until closes then end bypass. In older systems this is called forced arming. We had it in our shop. Lock up and set the alarm with the bay doors open and the doors would also arm as they are closed.

2 Likes

A new Ring user here… and I completely agree with the original poster on this issue. Why couldn’t this have been addressed by now since the users are asking for this feature?

On many other alarm systems I have had, you could set the system to AWAY while the front door was open. It didn’t stop the Arming process. Maybe there was a notification that a door was open, but you didn’t have to BYPASS the door sensor to be able to ARM the system. This Ring system is just annoying for sure.

Here is our setup. Cleaning crew uses the keypad (phone app isn’t an option). They often have the door open since they are in and out of the office. They set the system to AWAY when they are done, and it doesn’t just ARM the system. Asks about bypassing the sensor. So either the front door will not protected… or the whole system won’t be ARMED. That’s just BAD. There are different cleaning crew members and they just will have the door open sometimes… that’s just how it is for them.

Please add a setting that allows the Main Door contact sensor to be open when the system is set to AWAY. As long as the door is closed within the Exit Delay… it should be set and the sensor should be on and active. Right?

I can’t find any setting to make this work now. That contact sensor is set as a Main Door. And our exit delay is 60 seconds. When it’s set to AWAY and that Main Door is open… it will not start to arm the system. And if we hit bypass… the door will not be monitored (I tested this).

Please help! Can’t this please be fixed? Thank you.

-Peter

3 Likes

Completely agree with everyone on here.
Generally use the app but have recently added a ring 2 keypad for the garage.
When we take the dog a walk we get ready, put our boots on sort our daughter etc all with the heavy garage door open.
Arm the alarm from the keypad and we have to bypass the garage sensor which is ridiculous.
Please sort this issue out. The system is superb apart from this major failing.

1 Like

Hi Everyone - I’m not sure what the concern is here. When I leave the house, I open the front door (it’s always important to do this to avoid getting a sore head trying to walk through). I then set the code on my keypad which is next to the door and as the door is open, I select the tick box for ‘bypass’ and set the away icon then leave the house and shut the front door. The ONLY difference this makes, is when you enter the house on your return, you don’t hear the countdown timer…but I can guarantee you - as I tested this - if you forget to unset the alarm (which I have done a few times), and open other doors or go into your rooms/hallway where you have other PIR’s, they absolutely ARE activated and the alarm WILL go off. In summary, setting bypass on any door or window, does NOT prevent the Ring Alarem from doing what’s it’s supposed to. If you are in any doubt, try it. Set the alarm with bypass, close the front door, re-enter (where you will NOT hear beeps). Stand still for around 30 seconds, then try walking around the house. You absolutely WILL set the alarm off ! And be prepared to exit your code sharpish thereafter to switch off the sirens!

Agree is a stupid feature . All Alarms allow exit doors to be open when arming alarm. This is lazy programming. Come On Ring team you are letting down a brilliant product , by passing the exit/entry door if open when arming is crazy logic.

1 Like

Yoooo honestly, fix this. Your one main job is to make an alarm system, and you’re backed by one of the biggest companies on the planet. How is this not done yet? Come on.

1 Like

I really wish I’d known about this before dropping hundereds £££ on this system. Its so dumb and not like at least 3 other brands of alarm I’ve used previously.

Now I have to marshall the kids and their gear into the car or at least outside onto the driveway, SHUT MYSELF INSIDE , arm the alarm, then reopen the door and lock up. Anyone that says “this is common” please name another brand that does this, because I don’t know it. I’d also presume they don’t have young children, or experienced UK weather.

Sure I could use the app after having locked up, but why do I have to? And my wife use the app? No chance. Echoing all the above responses this really needs to be resolved, I’m considering returning for this reason alone

2 Likes

AndyC1: Yes but the significant part of your description is that the alarm does NOT get triggered when the front door opens on your return (you would expect trigger to start the entry delay countdown). That is because this sensor was bypassed. It took you to trigger another sensor before the alarm was triggered & set off - without countdown as presuming that sensor did not have entry delay status.

1 Like

Adrian: EXACTLY and well put. Is ring listening?

1 Like

I’m on day 2 of, “Test” and coming from SimpliSafe to Ring, I stumbled on this discussion because I was curious about what the, “Sensor bypass” was in settings and remembered the alert I received when I opened my door told Alexa to run my routine that turns on the stereo, turns off the kitchen light, and sets Ring to Away. I wanted to see the light go off and the stereo go on, so I had the door open when I alerted Alexa. I typically opened the door and set SimpliSafe to Away, got an alert that the sensor was open and when I closed the door it would arm. So I selected to bypass the contact sensor from the pop-up alert and didn’t know I went without my alarm being armed.

Garold gave the answer I can easily use myself, i.e., arm before opening the door, whichever way you arm it, Keypad, App, Alexa routine, or Alexa voice! This info was not readily available, but now that I know it, I have recognized it subtly mentioned in other Ring articles.
Marley_Ring states this but he’s talking about how to re-enable a bypassed sensor. He says, close the door, alarm the system and all will work normally.

Marley_Ring didn’t seem to exactly understand the question and his, “Solved” answer of a longer exit delay would not work (I think the limit is 3 minutes) if ring was armed in Away when the door was open, no matter how long the delay.

It’s a funny thing, but there is so much to learn that is not in the Ring Manual, which is mostly just how to install the system… a healthy curiosity helps because a person has to dig and dig and dig. Even simple stuff like in Ring you input your code on the keypad, THEN select the mode, with SimpliSafe it was the opposite. Well, I never expected them to be the same, but I’m just saying.

1 Like

I also have a problem with this feature, it is very annoying when you already have the door open to have to shut and then set alarm before leaving, just makes the process more complicated than it needs to be.
@ring

1 Like

I’m an new ring user and totally agree with McLovin. Disappointed that Ring haven’t sorted this out yet. It’s an easy fix, surely.

1 Like