Floodlight CAMS Suddenly Dropping Offline

Two of my three Ring Floodlight CAMs went offline last Thursday, January 28th about 12:00PM. They both went offline —Lost WiFi Connection — at the same time and didn’t come back online. Since the property is a vacation home, I had to drive about 100 miles to its location to see what was going on, expecting a failed WiFi repeater that they were connected to or a tripped circuit breaker.

When I got there, none of these situations existed, yet the camera was still offline. I went outside, the camera detected my presence and came back online, and sent me a notification. My other camera remained offline. Went to the other camera, same thing occurred - it came back online and sent me a notification.

They remained connected to my WiFi with good RSSI for only about 10minutes. Then went offline again. Went back outside, they came back online. I’ve power-cycle-reset the units and they have remained online now for over 4 hours now but I’m not confident. Seems the radio has stopped communicating with the access point when it has nothing to send so it drops offline. Reminds me of a similar problem I had with one of my Nest Thermostats that Google had to swap out to fix due to bad radio chips.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with these Ring Floodlight CAMs? They’ve been functioning in my network for 18 months with no issues until last week.

1 Like

I had the same issue. Two Floodlight CAMs in the backyard connecting to the same power source and WiFi router but only one demonstrated this issue.
However, I don’t think this is a WiFi issue… It seems like the CAM decided to enter sleep when the Ring App is not nearby. My WiFi router shows the Cam is still connected to network even though it appeared offline.

1 Like

@EastCoastTechGuy After power cycle the CAM, do you see the problem occur again?

1 Like

I have the exact same problem. My yard has seven cameras, but only one indicates “offline”. If I walk across its field, it picks me up and sends an alert just as it should – and the app indicates that it is back online. But after a few minutes it indicates “offline” again. I haven’t tried a power cycle yet, and I don’t really want to unless this will likely fix the problem, as this will create other problems for other equipment.

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Thanks for sharing details on what you’re experiencing. The Floodlight Cam shouldn’t be showing as offline unless it is actually offline. Resetting it and walking through a fresh setup in the Ring App is a good troubleshooting step, and you can reset the Camera by holding down the setup button on it for at least 20 seconds. After that, follow the steps under Set Up a Device in the Ring App to get it back up and running. If this concern persists after trying these steps, would you mind following up with our support team? They’ll be able to take a closer look and offer more in-depth troubleshooting support. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I power cycled the device and it seemed to solve the problem. In the past week it has been working fine.

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue and it’s getting frustrating! I live in Las Vegas and thinking it may be the heat after having to reset my cam this many times.

Our internet signal is strong and it’s only happening to this one camera. Getting ready to get rid of ring at this point.

Both a flood light cam and a solar cam went offline today. I did all the things, restart WiFi. Asking to connect to ring WiFi , starts to work but then the blinking stops, asks for what color is blinking light after it’s stopped blinking, seems like something is getting havked tbh. Neither one coming back online. Not trustworthy

Did this solution continue to work for you. My camera is having the same issue and it’s driving me crazy.

Hi @NicoleFein. This thread is several years old, so you may not receive a reply from the other neighbors that originally commented here. I’d recommend trying the troubleshooting steps in the marked solution, which involve resetting the Floodlight Cam and performing a fresh setup. This should resolve any performance issues with the lights not working correctly. For persistent connectivity issues, check the RSSI to ensure that your Floodlight Cam is receiving a strong and stable wifi connection. Otherwise it may be more likely to drop offline.

If you continue to experience any problems with your Floodlight Cam’s connectivity or the lights after these troubleshooting suggestions, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.