Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

Hi neighbors! As mentioned prior in this thread, the Floodlight Cam has two methods of motion detection, one to notify and one for lights. The 270 degree field of view for the lights to trigger allows for it to catch approaching heat signatures efficiently. Sometimes this can be triggered too often and settings need to be fine tuned. Check out our help center article on how to best control the lights of your Floodlight Cam.

If altering settings or mounting angle did not improve this functionality, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I just wanted to provide a follow-up to my previous post from 11/23:

I already had my IOT devices on a separate network prior to having issues with the lights, but after I further isolated my ring cameras from the rest of the devices, everything went back to working as it previously had. I’m not sure if a device received a firmware update that was causing conflict, but it has been 2 1/2 weeks without any further issues with my floodlight.

It is disheartening to read of all these issues with the floodlight camera not only on this board but on reddit and other places on the internet. I recently came into the Ring world, having first converted from an Arlo doorbell that rarely worked (I have Arlo outdoor cameras) to a Ring doorbell, and from an ADT alarm system that was costing me $70 per month to a Ring alarm system that costs me $8.33 per month. So for both of those products I am super happy. Most of the system’s shortcomings can be overcome with echo devices (which I already had) or other means. So, perfect?, no!, but for $61 less per month…all is good.

But I need lighting solutions in two places outside, and since I am on the Ring monitoring plan I figured I should take advantage of the Ring lighting solutions. Floodlight camera would be perfect…if only it wasn’t so buggy.

I definitely plan to hold off on any purchase of these until Ring fixes these issues. And that should not be via new version of the light. It should be firmware as it really acts like interference through network or other firmware glitches as a lot of these floodlights seemed to start acting funny around the same time after working welll for months or years. Furthermore, reducing sensitivity to minimum and rendering the device all but useless seems like an invalid and shortsighted approach. One thing I have not heard from any of the social media folks from Ring that post here is a statement that Ring acknowledges this as a problem and is working on a solution. So I am not holding out in hopes of this being fixed anything soon. Shame really…

After spending a lot of time reading up on this problem, messing with the software and settings and generally wasting my precious time, I feel I may have stumbled upon a possible solution.

Although the app has always reported my signal strength to be in the “green” (60) I upgraded my wifi a couple of weekends ago for other issues. Didn’t notice it at first, but the mysterious “false” light activations have now stopped.

The signal strength is not that much better (49-56).

May be something to consider.

I am sure some of the issues on the internet that people are reporting are user errors but given the number of them seems to me to imply there is an issue with the PIR. To say to adjust the settings is no use because that is what we have all tried. There are only a certain number of knobs to tweak and I for one, have tried all of them. To me there is obviously an issue with the sensitivity of the PIR and only being able to adjustance the range of motion is obviously not good enough. Ring doesn’t seem to be bothered to fix it either because they can’t or don’t care.

I have had this light issue for months. Have tried all the settings dozens of times. I also have constant false alarms often 20 to 30 a night. I had the floodlight off at the switch for months but recently turned it back on after updating my wireless network. Same issues. I am going to have to dump ring as the lights are bothering my neighbors and the constant false alarms make this useless as a security device because I just ignore it because 19 out of 20 times there is no motion.

I have 2 sets of Floods with very little problems just installed another flood on my side yard. Every time a vehicle goes either up or down the street my lights come on. Ive turned the sensitivity all the way down and brought motion zones all the way in, yet the car headlights are no where near my floods but yet the lights keep coming on. Why would car headlights turn on floods. Resetting them did nothing still happening. What good is turning sensitivity all the way down and motion way down just to keep lights from constantly coming on. I put them in side yard to make sure nothing is in my fenced yard before I turn my dog out at night. Very frustrating. Now my front floods are doing the same thing. If a car comes up my side street and headlights come up in yard the lights go off. Setting things on people mode is a joke. A little rabbit set mine off.

Installed ring in driveway and lights turn off and on all night. There is no movement or object like an air conditioner that should be enabling the lights. Reading on here that there is no solution, so I will have to switch to conventional flood light.

Makes no sense that conventional flood lights Can do motion detection but ring cannot.

I have a floodlight w/ solar panel (no camera) that was sensing motion constantly. I had the bride connected to a WiFi extender that would intermittently disconnect from the router. Once I connected the bridge instead of the extender, my problem disappeared.

I suspect this is to do with poor WiFi connection where the Ring defaults to lights on when a connection drops.

For those of you still having issues with intermittent “false light” activations, can you check your wifi router logs and see if the floodlight cam is dropping and then reconnecting to wifi at a regular interval that coincides with the lights coming on?

I’ve recently noticed that my floodlight cam lights are coming on almost exactly every ~15min, even during the daytime. I think there’s a watchdog timer that isn’t happy and decides to reboot the floodlight for some reason, causing the wifi router to see the device leaving and then rejoining/re-authenticating once it reboots. As part of the reboot process, the lights seem to default to the on state for 20-30 seconds.

Please see this thread and my posts here for more info:

Interesting that some folks earlier were seeing the issue on a 30min interval. I wonder if the watchdog timer was updated to 15min in recent firmware.

My newest issue for the past week or 2 is that my one spotlight comes on every night at 8:40. There is nothing outside and no motion. And it is the same time every night. I haven’t made any changes to anything so I’m not sure what is going on.

Why hasn’t Ring fixed this humongous problem!!?? Our floodlight cam comes on and stays on for a long time, repeatedly throughout the night. Seriously! What a huge failure!! No motion history whatsoever!! And, not a single peep out of Ring to apologize or fill us in on what they are doing to rectify this annoyance!! What a horrible investment I’ve made!!

I had the same issue of my Ring Floodlights always coming back on after a brief shut off. My problem was my ceiling mounting had one of my lights way too close to the camera sensor unit. The residual heat from the light was reactivating the lights. After shifting the light slightly away, the problem was fixed.

1 Like

Hello @Geognome !

That’s an excellent catch, figuring out what was causing your issue.
Thanks for sharing. It might help someone else! :smiley:

Has Ring found a solution to this problem? Had my cams in since October and the problem started last night. Been through the whole thread and my light is not linked to any other, WiFi is good, firmware is upto date, zones are not near any trees and still have the problem of lights on lights off?