Floodlight cam light stay on overnight

Floodlight cam light turned on without any motion detection.
If I turned off forcely, it turned on automatically in 3 sec.
In the live view mode and I turned off, It stay turned off but it turned on after I closed live view mode immediately.
I already tried to change motion sensitibity option but it is not helpful.
The only way is that disabling the motion detection lighting option but I want to use this option for my home security.
I think that it is SW bug. Do you know how to solve my problem?

1 Like

Hi @user16628. When adjusting the Motion Detection settings for your Floodlight Cam, there are settings available for the Camera as well as for the lights specifically. You can read more about how motion detection on your Floodlight Camera works here, and you can find steps on controlling the lights and light settings here.

1 Like

Hi Caitlyn,

I already did “Motion Zones for Light” and “Motion Sensitivity” as smallest value but it is not helpful to fix my problem…

2 Likes

@user16628 Make sure there isn’t anything that could be causing this consistent motion detection. The floodlights on your Floodlight Cam are operated by passive infrared heat detection, so any sources of heat or reflective surfaces can trigger the motion detection.

If there’s nothing you think is causing this consistent motion detection, first try rebooting your Camera using the steps here. If that doesn’t resolve this, try resetting your Floodlight Cam by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once the reset is complete, take your Floodlight Cam through a new setup in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device. Adjust all of the settings to your liking, including the Motion Settings, and monitor the Camera’s behavior.

If this concern persists after trying these steps, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

2 Likes

Mine is doing the same thing. And nothing is helping it. Apparently this is a ring product issue because so many ppl are having same issues and keep hearing ring say its a heat source or to adjust light sensor. Mine has nothing by it. Im about ready to get a nest or something cause the constant on off of the lights is getting old.

3 Likes

Mine has done this since day 1.

The light comes on at dusk, and stays on. No motion.

If I turn off the light through the app, witching 5 secs to 5 minutes the light will turn back on.

I’ve even seen the switch flip to on in the app without me touching it.

I finally had to setup a schedule to shut off the light at night. I don’t want this since now even with motion it won’t cover on, but I also don’t want the light on all night.

This is a bug and has been complained about for quite a while based on my research. Seems that Ring either doesn’t care, or they can’t find the bug to fix it. I don’t know if the bug is in the app or the the light firmware.

Ring - don’t bother trying to tell me to go through settings. I’ve done this multiple times, and I’m tech savvy.

1 Like

We have 5 floodlight cams and they worked fine for almost 2 years. Then within a week 2 of them developed the same problem described above: lights stay on all night as long as motion detection enabled. I shut them off with app and they’re back on within a few seconds. Tried resetting motion detection, reinstalling, etc. Only solution has been to leave motion detection for the lights off. This seems to be a very common problem!

1 Like

A few years ago, many of us had floodlight cams that had lights that would turn itself on every 30 minutes. I saw a few posts on the Community and tried to get people to reply to one post so that I could reference it to Support. Long story short, it took many calls to Support to describe and convince them of the problem. I asked to speak to Level 2 a couple times. They have you do a long list of trouble-shooting and then escalate it. I tried several replacement floodlight cams, but they all had the same issue. I suspect it was a production batch issue. Lots of follow-up emails. The other issue was that these floodlight cams were not taking the regular firmware updates. If I recall correctly, it took 6+ months for them to push out a fix.

So, it is very likely that this is a firmware bug and may take some doing to have Ring address…

Good luck.

1 Like

Yet another floodlight cam here that constantly cycles itself on and off all through the night. No motion detected by the camera yet the light just keeps on turning on and off. As many have described I can manually turn the light off in the app but within seconds it turns back on. I’ve adjusted all the recommended settings with no change. Only solution is to deactivate motion sensing for the light which totally defeats the purpose of having it.
I note there was a similar thread started some time ago that was shut down by admin with no solution.

3 Likes

+1 for this issue. I have a floodlight camera exhibiting the exact same behavior as what is described in this thread.

2 Likes

Hi neighbors. As mentioned in the solution, if you have tried the troubleshooting steps and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

@jamat @markkram I don’t know if you ever found a solution to your problem, but I had the same issue and tried all of the suggested solutions, but with no success. Then, when exploring the Ring App, I found the option to “Reboot this Device” under “Settings” - “Device Health.” I was astounded when it solved the issue. I did it about two weeks ago and the floodlights have been working perfectly ever since. Seems too straightforward to be true, but it worked for me. Good luck!

3 Likes

I had this same issue come up last night, I tried the reboot and that did not work. I ended up turning the floodlight/camera off for the night and turned it back on this morning and was able to get it to toggle to the off position and stay there. I guess the real test will be tonight when it gets dark again to see if it will stay off and just come on for motion detection.

1 Like

Any solution on this? This is infuriating me! I have floodlight cams set up at our weekend home and every time I open the app, even during the day, the lightbulb is lit on one of the floodlight cams to indicate the lights are on. The “Lights” toggle stays on despite my attempts to manually turn off - it flips back on within seconds. I’ve tried changing motion settings with no success. Since this is installed at a second home, I can’t cut power to it and am just wasting electricity and life of the lights.

I love ring products, but this is very frustrating. Please help!

1 Like

Hi @jcarmano. There are a few different troubleshooting steps suggested throughout the thread. You can start by rebooting your Floodlight Cam using the “Reboot This Device” option on the Device Health page. The reboot should only take a few minutes. If that doesn’t work, I’d recommend reviewing the information in the marked solution.

I am having the exactly same issue and find that light stay on every time going to or exiting live view. This is software bug. Please correct it. Thanks.

1 Like

Same issue here, you would think Caitlyn_Ring would have escalated this issue by now but I guess we are all blowing smoke to them -_-. And no don’t tell me to contact support.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issue. The light will turn back on by itself when you turn it off (it is not because of motion!) I’ll literally watch the light button slide back into the ON position by itself in the app.

As soon as the sun sets, it turns on and stays on until the sun rises the next morning. If I turn them off, they’ll turn back on and stay that way until the morning.

It is very annoying not being able to control the lights on this camera. Rebooting doesn’t work either.

1 Like

Mine just started doing this last night. I googled the issue and found this thread. Read the thread and not feeling great about any solution. Maybe this stuff is best for a real security company.

1 Like

I too have been experiencing this problem. I’ve gone through all of the fixes mentioned above and nothing has worked thus far. Extremely disappointing. Have been shutting off motion detection to the lights which defeats the e tire purpose of having them.

1 Like