Flood light turns on after exiting live view

Today I had contacted Ring support for some other problem but also asked about this issue (flood light turns on after exiting live view) and to my surprise for them this is not an issue but an expected behavior.

1 Like

This shouldn’t have anything to do with adjusting sensitivity. This is clearly a hardware/software glitch. Here’s my observations. I have 3 floodlight cameras. 2 white units and 1 black unit. When opening the 2 white units, they seemed to be packed differerently than the black unit and had that QR bar code printed on the outside of the box. The black unit was packed a little differently and didn’t have that QR bar code on the outside of the box…perhaps this is an older unit. The black light is the one that has this issue. The two white units lights do not turn on when exiting live view. As I said, perhaps this is a hardware issue and is tied to specific units within a specific production date. This anomaly only happens with the black light at night when in live view and then closing it. Never during the day. This is annoying and needs to be fixed. Being an engineer and involved with manufacturing, I would imagine Ring knows exactly what this issue is…and it’s not normal…if it is, then why is this not happening with the other two units…just my 2 cents.

1 Like

After using the floodlight cam for over a month now, I am leaning towards this being a software issue (I have the black unit). I think this because the light does not turn on if the detection range is set all the way to MIN. Also, as someone else mentioned, this issue appears to occur only when using the Ring app but not when using the Rapid ring app.

Last fall, we went through several white flood light cams with manuf dates of later in 2019–kept replacing them due to other issues. And only one of them had this problem. At the time, the floodlight cams were having other more serious issues, so this issue fell by the wayside. And no one else had replied that they had this problem as well. It is interesting to read now that other people have noticed this issue as well.

Just to add additional data points, the floodlight cam has since been replaced a couple times because of the other issue. It no longer turns on after exiting live view. I was not entirely sure if it was because the camera was replaced, or if it was also related to Ring pushing out a firmware fix in Jan 2020 for the other lighting problems.

Because only one floodlight cam had the problem, and the others did not, I always thought it was more of a hardware issue. Or it could have been hardware that did not play nice with firmware…

I never played with turning on the motion range on the lights all the way to minimum because that makes the device largely useless as a security device at night.

After reading more of these comments, definately a hardware glitch. If it was software, it would do it with my other lights. Interesting to read that Shyguy’s unit is black as well. I really think it’s a production issue with specific units. I just may replace the black unit with what I think are newer white units.

Obvious and clear bug here which you’ve taken almost a year on not to fix!!??

Please explain why you take so long to provide solution fixes?

Fix this bug please and be a responsible provider