Few Second Power Outage Triggers Alarm

Every single time I have a power outage which can latest a millisecond, the alarm goes off for a few seconds and then stops. It wakes up the entire house including the baby. Why does this happen and how do I stop it? I checked history in the app and nothing stands out. This occurs when the system is not armed.

Hi @sagosto. This definitely shouldn’t be happening, especially if your system is disarmed at the time that the siren goes off. It sounds like you may need to reboot your Base Station, which our support team can assist you with. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They can walk you through the appropriate troubleshooting steps, as we need to be careful when working with the Base Station to prevent your system from accidentally being reset. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what support recommends as it can help other neighbors with a similar concern. :slight_smile:

I called and discussed the issue for nearly 1 hour. They said they have not heard of this and did not offer troubleshooting tips. I have also rebooted multiple times. It happens *EVERY* single power flicker and it wakes up the entire house including the baby.

Any other ideas?

So if you pull the power does it sound off?

When you look at event history for the base station does it show a power event?

I agree it should not happen. Just for giggles I think I would uninstall the app, reboot and reinstall the app. I understand this should have nothing to do with it but something to try.

If you can duplicate it by pulling the power I would call ring back, demonstrate and insist on a replacement.

Obviously not an answer but an option. Get a UPS battery backup for it.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. It does not go off if you pull the power. It successfully cycles to cellular/backup during the power outage and if you randomly pull the power. The alarm ONLY goes off when the power is cycled during a millisecond outage. The Ring history does not show the alarm going off. When the power is cycled (and alarm goes off for 2-3 seconds), I do need to reboot to get Ring to reconnect unlike my other devices.

Not that it really matters cuz I think you need to stay on the phone with ring until you get satisfaction, but you have to reboot what to get it back?

If you pull the cat5 cable what happens?

I considered suggesting change the battery but mine is up on the wall and I am not sure if you can even do that.

After an hour, Ring said they would research and get back to me – That didn’t happen.

After the power cycle, the alarm goes off for 2-3 seconds and stays on cellular backup until after I reboot the wireless router.

Pulling the ethernet will successfully switch to cellular service.

The wireless router is also the switch where the cat5 is plugged in correct?

You are a jinx, my power just flickered while I was typing this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nighthawk 8500 -> TP Link Home Plug -> 5 port switch -> Ring

yes it should not make any difference, but if you are not getting any traction with ring, for giggles would you want to try wifi and eliminate those odd variables?

Hi @sagosto! Sorry to see this is still happening. If altering your network connection method did not improve this, please let us know if you have any Alarm devices beyond the initial Alarm Kit (Panic Button, Retrofit Kit, Flood/ Freeze, etc.). This is certainly an odd occurrence as the Alarm should only be triggered by an emergency event, SOS, Panic, or tampered sensor from an armed mode.

I recommend testing a power loss event when possible, to see the behavior of your Alarm in the app, such as what armed status it reconnects in. Feel free to share any further observations of your concern, as the Community is here to help! :slight_smile:

I keep ours on a small battery backup - this is in addidtion to the one internal in the base station. Some areas have dirty power and the internal base station battery cannot detect.

1 Like

I will switch to Wifi and see if that changes anything. During the recent Tropical Storm in NJ, we had several minor outages and nothing happened which is quite odd. When the false alarm would occur, it would be unarmed (maybe a case of armed but I forget) and then it would siren for 2-3 seconds and then go back to the same status. Nothing in the event history to suggest why or that the alarm went off.

That is a very odd occurrence to hear of, @sagosto! As you know, during a power outage your Alarm should operate on battery backup. If you are professionally monitored or subscribed to Protect Plus, cellular backup should also enable when the network goes down. When this happens, your Alarm functionality is dedicated to only priority Alarm events and emergency alerts. If your Alarm history is not showing any emergency events, please also check that your Sensors were not tampered in an armed mode.

If this happens again, or you are concerned about this happening without reason, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Yes – I called Support and they told me they would get back to me and that has not happened.

With that said, the system performs as expected with respect to cellular and batter backup. The only real problem is that it suddenly goes off when the power flickers. It is odd that it didn’t happen in the recent Tropical Storm that hit the east coast including NJ (where I live).

And, it still happens over and over including a few seconds ago… Woke the entire house including kids up.

I’m up at 4:30 in the morning because this has just happened to ours, twice – once when the power went off and once when the power came on, several minutes later. This is a Gen 1 base station and it’s the first time it’s ever done this (it’s been through many power losses since we’ve had it).

This cannot happen again. What are the steps to make sure this does not happen again?

We just had the same issue. Power + internet outage… event history showed it switched to battery backup and cellular backup but the alarm still sounded and woke us up. I opened the app right away and didn’t see any notification of alarm going off and it shut off after about a minute. Any fixes?