Ring is dedicated to bringing you the best experience with your devices through awesome new feature updates. This is why we are excited to bring the setting of Customizable Motion Zones to your battery powered devices*! This updated motion settings option will allow you to draw up to three unique motion zones. Learn more about how it works below. Note: When you update to Customizable Motion Zones you will not be able to use your previous Adjustable Motions Zones anymore.
How is This Different from My Current Motion Zone Setting Options?
Your current Adjustable Motion Zones options are preset. Now, with Customizable Motion Zones you are able to draw up to three customized motion zones to alert you when motion passes through them. Similar to your current Adjustable Motion Zones you will still be able to fine-tune the sensitivity of your overall motion detection with an adjustable sensitivity slider.
How do Customizable Motion Zones Work?
Your Ring Video Doorbells and Security Cams detect approaching visitors with advanced motion detection technology. This means that your device does an initial scan of the motion zones you draw and remembers this view. Then it continues to monitor the zones looking for valid motion to occur inside your custom zones.
How the Motion Sensitivity Slider Works
Depending on the area and zones your device covers, you may receive a large number of motion alerts that are not visitors. If you are receiving more alerts than you prefer, adjusting your motion sensitivity slider will likely help. By sliding it toward Min, your device will lower the sensitivity and detect only larger human-sized changes in the zone. When it is slid farther toward Max your device may pick up motion from an animal or a car driving by.
Tips for Drawing Motion Zones to have the Best Coverage
You are able to draw up to three motion zones with your device. The way you draw these motion zones can affect the number of alerts you receive. Consider the tips below when drawing your custom motion zones. Note: Motion zones can not be extended to the full area of your Live View when creating these zones. This is because the area your camera covers is slightly larger than the area your motion sensors cover.
- Shape - keep them symmetrical and logical. For example, if you have a walkway, driveway and mailbox you would like to cover, it is better to draw a zone over each area instead of using one zone to cover the entire area. This will give you more precise coverage.
- Size - Try to avoid making the zones too small or thin, it will be hard for your device to catch motion changes in such a small area. This can lead to missed alerts.
- Coverage - It is best to avoid overlapping the zones that you draw, but rather have them be close together if you are trying to cover close areas.
Where to Update Your Settings in the Ring Mobile App
- Open the main menu in your Ring mobile app in the top left hand corner.
- Tap Devices and select the Doorbell or Cam you want to update.
- Tap the Motion Settings tile.
- Select Motion Zones and begin creating your zones.
- Once your zones and sensitivity are your liking, hit save and you’re all set!
* Battery Powered Video Doorbells and Security Cams- Video Doorbell (2nd Generation), Video Doorbell 2, Video Doorbell 3, Video Doorbell 3 Plus, Peephole Cam/Doorview Cam, Stick Up Cam Battery (3rd Generation), Stick Up Cam Plug-In (3rd Generation), Stick Up Cam Solar (3rd Generation), Spotlight Cam Battery, and Spotlight Cam Solar.
We are excited to bring this feature update to your Ring app! Please reply below to let us know how you like the update.