False Alarm on Smoke Listener

Last night, in the middle of the night, of course, our Ring alarm sounded the fire alarm. We have the smoke/fire listener, but I am almost certain the smoke detectors did NOT go off. We have hardwired/interconnected detectors in every room, and they are very loud and have voice prompts. If they’d gone off we would have known it. Of course by design, Ring dispatches the FD immediately when the fire alarm goes off, and they’re right around the corner so they got here quickly. As nice as they are, I’d like to not see them again tonight. Does anyone know what can cause a false alarm on the smoke listener? The ring app reports full battery on the listener.

Hi @DalRingUser. The Smoke & CO Listener is designed to listen only for the tones of a smoke or CO alarm sounding. I would definitely recommend performing a factory reset on the Listener and reinstalling it to ensure everything is running smoothly. To reset the Listener, press and hold the setup button (located on the side of the device) with the battery in, until the LED stops flashing (approximately 10 seconds). Once the reset is complete, you’ll want to set it up in the Ring App again by following the steps under Set Up a Device.

Should this ever happen again, please reach out to our support team so they can take a deeper look at your system and what may have caused this. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

My Smoke listener device alarmed twice yesterday. Resulting in the FD coming out once. The app says the battery is nearly full. Cannot figure out what trigured it. No loud or odd sounds from the smoke detectors. I removed the battery so it wouldn’t alarm again. I will do a factory reset tonight.

This happened 9/22 & 9/24.
The first time we were asleep and the fire department was called. The smoke detector was not going off.
Same today. I was 3 feet away. The smoke alarm was NOT going off.
The listener just decides there is an alarm.

We’ve had the system approx 6 months with no issues. Nothing has changed in the setup or location of the base system or the smoke alarm.

I called support. The person didn’t seem to understand. He kept telling me my base was too far away from the detector. I argued that even if that was the case, why wouldn’t the system send me a low signal notification instead of calling the fire department.

1 Like