Extremely short battery life

I have the Doorbell 4 for about a week now. I expect learning curves for a new device. First time the device was activated and running the battery life was about 8 hours. After adjusting the activity zone and how many alerts and snapshots to extreme minimal or turned off settings. It is now a generous 12 hours before I have to switch out the battery. Good thing I bought the two battery/charger pack.

My router is several years old (ancient in tech life) and at first the RSSI signal was in the 30’s, with the doorbell literally on the other side of the wall. Now that I purchased a new router the RSSI signal is in the mid to upper 40’s and the battery life is still poor as ever.

I might add that it is also connected to a solar panel. Hardwiring was not a option. Also the Stickup cameras that I purchased are working flawlessly and I absolutely love them. But I’m getting a bit frustrated with this device. It was stated to have at least a three month battery life. Hell, I would be tickled pink with it lasting three weeks like some people are getting. I’m needing some assistance with this matter.

Thank you

Odd. I don’t know if the doorbell cameras use the same batteries as the spotlight cameras but I can get about 5-6 months on a battery. Are you sure you are fully charging the battery until both green lights are illuminated? Do you hae a second battery to try to see if one battery is defective? I would call Ring and have then send out warranty replacement batteries if that doesn’t work and also chat with them to see if by chance they think there is a problem with the doorbell camera itself too.

1 Like

Got the doorbell 3. Get 3.5 weeks max with all settings set to recommended and wifi signal about 40.
Very bad advertising from ring claiming months of battery life. With their own default settings (except my custom zone) get 3.5 weeks not 6 months.

What setting shave you changed? Settings play a big part of how long the battery lasts, I get about 20 - 30 activations per day. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but on average between 7 - 10 weeks per charge. It was 4 - 6 weeks, but I had the record time set to 120 seconds.

My battery was lasting between 3-4 weeks sometimes more depending on how many times the cat walked across the drive!!!
Nothing has changed in useage and I am having to charge the battery every other day. It is less than a year old, is this normal?

How often you need to charge your Video Doorbell will depend on usage and environmental factors. This is described further here in our Help Center article about cold weather. Optimizing motion settings, usage, and even wifi connection can help for a more efficient use of battery. :slight_smile: