Elite Install - Big Hole in Wall?

Do you really have to cut a deep rectangular hole to install the Ring Elite? If so it comes as a big and expensive surprise because the other Rings don’t need this and it will be a well kept secret by Ring (until you buy it). Is there no way around getting the builder back to cut through very hard old bricks having just rendered the walls?

Sorry I have to disagree. There is no support on the product page. The dirty side of product information dare not muck up the pretty sales yak.

Thank you. This worked for me!

“Ring clearly shows what is involved in installing the Ring Elite”
“That’s why it’s called a Product page. If you want detailed information, go to a Help or Support page if you are ever unsure about how to install it before you buy. I do that all the time.”

:laughing:

And yet here I am!

If you’ve studied the design of websites (HCI) you will know that you need to do this with the user in mind rather than what the Sales force want all the time.

One link to the full support page would not have been too difficult would it?

Be kind says the forum instructions. I will take that to include do not be patronising.

I’ve looked at all the instructions available which show a hole is needed. But an experienced contributer might have had some success another way? I would just like to know if this product can be mounted without battering a rectangle hole in my nice new rendered wall. Simply that please. Not RTFM when there wasn’t useful link to the FM.

If there is already a junction box at the mounting location, you may install the Ring Elite into this junction box. Whether the junction box is inside or outside of the wall might vary by location, however, I would ensure any junction box used is for outdoor use. Without a junction box, the Ring Elite would need to use the included bracket, in which cutting a hole is a necessary step, per the instructions below.

If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with performing this installation, or if your local area laws/ building codes requires one, please consult with a qualified electrician. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your assistance Marley_Ring. Sorry for the delay, I lost confidence for a while.

I’m still a bit unclear having also read your link to the Ring instruction.
Basically, I have a brick wall with a network cable coming out of it sealed with mastic. Am I right in saying I can simply screw the plate to the wall and if so will there be room to plug in the cable?

@WhatThe The Doorbell Elite is designed to be counter sunk into the wall and sit flush. You need to cut a hole in the wall to accommodate the junction/back box. You cannot surface mount this product. The Doorbell Elite is quite dated now when you compare its features with the Pro 2, its only advantages are PoE and the fact it can sit flush with the wall. Its not a good product for brick homes due to the work needed to install plus you are then stuck with the hole in the wall if you decide to upgrade to something else in the future. Ring need to launch a PoE surface mount device (basically a PoE version of the Pro 2 or something similar). Can sit along side the elite which they can keep for those wanting something totally flush mounted.

1 Like

Thanks for that information. Paying for this ethernet cable was clearly a mistake then. Also the cable can easily be accessed by a hacker outside straight into our network - unless additional cost/techniques are employed.
At least a cable can easily be cut off!
Having found out the ease at which Ring, Next etc… doorbells can be removed I’ll probably get a separate camera or dedicated security system instead.