Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
D
User Solution
Dramatic battery drain
troubleshooting
wireless-security-cameras
battery-life

Help
I’ve bought a ring security camera and despite a full charge on 2 batteries the unit runs out of charge within 7 days.
The WiFi connection is green for good and I’ve disabled live view, minimal motion sensitivity, and everything I can think of to reduce battery wear but am still failing.
This drain seems dramatic.
I really only need the unit at night but on ready you cannot schedule it to disable during daylight; only manually.
Thanks

24-02-2024 06:07:01

Responses (6)

C

Hi @Dabster. I’m guessing this is one of the Spotlight Cams, since you mentioned having two batteries. Verify that the Quick Release Battery Packs are fully charged and properly inserted in the battery hatch. After checking that, review the Event History to see how many events the Spotlight Cam is detecting and recording. We also have some troubleshooting steps here to manage unexpected battery drain.

The last thing I’d recommend is a reboot from the Device Health page in the Ring app. If none of these suggestions help, please reach out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.

26-02-2024 05:47:58

D

Thank you
I’ll try these

27-02-2024 10:11:21

D

Well after trying everything the unit still loses battery power dramatically. I’ve had everything on low power usage and even turned it off in the daytime. (Why is there no scheduler which does this?).
I fully charged the two batteries and after one night with no motion detection and one detection in the morning 14% of one battery had gone.
I’m having to charge the 2 batteries once a week with turning it off in the day and night use with no motion detection.
I bought a solar panel to help but it doesn’t connect and all I get is “not connected”.
I have had such a good experience with the ring doorbell but this thing is look like an expensive waste of money.

16-03-2024 03:15:07

T

Hi @Dabster. Thank you for following up. Since you’ve tried this to no avail, I’d suggest following up with our support team.

18-03-2024 04:07:48

D

Well, following your advice it appears that the unit wasn’t new as described on eBay but had been registered previously and was faulty.
The warranty had expired so I was advised to return it which I have done under eBay’s buyer protection.
The Ring guy offered me a discount and I have bought one directly from Ring.
The guy was fantastic and I also appreciate the assistance on here.
Hopefully I’ll have more success when the new unit lands.

18-03-2024 10:21:11

T

Hi @Dabster. That is definitely a lesson learned. Be weary of buying from non-authorized retailers. You can find a list of authorized retail partners here.

20-03-2024 02:21:57

D

Incidentally, will there be a on/off scheduler update on the software at some point

18-03-2024 10:22:39

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User