Doorbell randomly ringing in the middle of the night

Mine is also doing a phantom ring middle of the night. 3:41 AM last night. Mine is a good ol style door bell. We get a soft ring two times in a row. Not a “ding dong”. No video or record of the event I can see on ring.

I’ve had ghost rings since it was installed by Best Buy on 1/2/24. So freaking annoying because it sends my dogs into a barking frenzy multiple times a day for no reason.

Best Buy sent a technician to ensure it was properly installed and Ring told me it was my house and to call an electrician. They also told me to “just disable the in-home” chime.

I genuinely thought it was just me until I came across threads upon threads of customers complaining about these phantom rings. Some people report they notice it more at night and during the colder months. But I live in NC and the weather is pretty mild. I haven’t noticed any rhyme or reason—day or night, rain or shine, hot or cold, 3am or 3pm, the phantom rings occur.

My regular, old doorbell NEVER used to ring for no reason. I have the Ring Wired Doorbell Pro installed and NOW the wiring in my house is faulty? Give me a break. Customers have been reporting these phantom rings for 4+ years. Clearly, this is a Ring problem they’re choosing to ignore.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

After mine has been hooked up for over about 2 hours it starts to buzz and then does a half chime and buzzes and half chimes and it keeps on going for hours until I disconnect the wires. I was on with tech support for over 50 minutes yesterday evening and we thought we figured it out and around midnight it started again. This is a brand new unit and its done this from the very beginning. It wakes up the whole household and gets the dogs riled up. I am on night 3 with very little sleep and it seems like no solution.

Hi @user79983. I have responded to your post here.

I am experiencing a recurring issue where my manual chime rings during health checks or system reboots. To mitigate this inconvenience, I kindly request an adjustment to the health check schedule or the implementation of an option to manually initiate these checks.

This is happening to us too. It had been 4-5 days since the last chime. I just tested by manually rebooting through the app and our doorbell chimed right on cue. It’s been in the middle of the night every other time.

I’ve continually had the exact same middle of the night phantom doorbell ring issue. Went through tons of troubleshooting and many hours of my valuable time with tech support, and in the end they essentially said “well, keep an eye on it and let us know if it still happens, since we are not sure what is causing it”. Of course a couple weeks later it happened again, and continues to this day. The “fully charged capacitor” theory is the best one I’ve heard yet, explaining why the issue does not happen with every middle-of-the-night health check, but always happens in the wee hours when it does happen. So sounds like there is no solution, and none expected to be offered. Great.

Did you happen to notice that Ring solution offered, is a non-solution? Essentially blaming this on the doorbell. I have a similar looking doorbell, and they are very very common out there in the real world, so claiming it is the customer’s doorbell’s fault is a terrible cop-out.

We received the Ring Doorbell as a Xmas gift. We too have had random phantom rings always between 0200 and 0330. Has has happened approximately 6 times since installation. My solution is to give the Ring unit to my daughter who has to worry about porch pirates where she lives and I have no such worries.

I just had the first instance of this happening last night pretty much right at 3 AM. A few minutes later, Alexa announced she was disconnected from the Wi-Fi. I thought someone was trying to break in and I called the police. It took them a half an hour to get to my house and they found nobody or nothing in my yard. I cannot afford to be frightened like this in the middle of the night. I have a doorbell set up from probably the 1950s. It makes the traditional “dingdong Avon calling” sound. I have spent hundreds of dollars on Ring hardware… cameras, lights, doorbell. I hope Ring is listening to these comments and stops the middle of the night updates, and allows for manual updates.

So I had this happen for the first time in the early hours of 02:56 this morning! The extender rang and the dog kicked off, and of course we thought someone was messing around outside. After checking the security cameras it was clear no one had been outside the door to push the button. Having read other comments on here, I went into devices on my app, selected the extender and then health check, to find surprise, surprise, there had been one at 02:56

Now, we have had the system for more than a year now and the push button is the rechargeable type and the battery currently is more than 80% charged. Only thing we did have over the last few days was the wifi working and not working. We called in Virgin who said the cable to the house was damaged and replaced it yesterday! So this happened after the repair, but Virgin tested everything prior to leaving and the wifi was back on fine and still works fine now. I’m wondering if I should somehow reset the extender and video doorbell to factory settings and reinstall all from scratch??