Doorbell Pro 2 Direct Wire to Transformer (V3 Power kit)?

I want to direct wire my Doorbell Pro 2 directly to the transformer as I do not have an existing chime. Can this be done the V3 power kit?

I know it can be done with the V2 pro power kit. Wanted to confirm it can be done what the V3 as well.

Hi @AkimboJimbo. The Ring Pro 2 can also be hardwired directly to your transformer. I hope this information is helpful.

What about the Pro Power Kit v3? Do you have a wiring diagram for the Doorbell Pro 2?

Good question, @jjoshiro! Check out our installation guide help center article for the Pro 2. It contains installation steps and visuals on how to install each part for powering your Video Doorbell Pro 2. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Old thread I know, but I hardwired two Pro 2s directly to my 16V transformer without any problem. No power kit necessary. No voltage warnings. I did make sure to set the doorbell chime setting to “None” in the settings though in case that mattered.

(The instructions weren’t clear whether it would work or not but I found a discussion somewhere else about it that I can’t find now.)

Hi @BCT. Correct. If you do not have a chime kit, the Ring Pro 2 can be directly hardwired to your transformer without issue. If you do have a chime kit, it is absolutely necessary to install it. This helps ensure the your Ring Pro 2 is getting the correct amount of voltage. If it is not installed, it could be a fire hazard. If you have questions about the install, you can check the link Marley has shared or contact our support team.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I just got off the Ring support line, and they said that with the Ring Doorbell Pro 2, there is no need to use the V3 Power Kit if you don’t have a doorbell chime. Tom, respectfully, this seems to directly contradict what you’re saying and that makes me nervous.

Hey @TomClement. You’re correct. I must’ve gotten my Doorbells mixed up and made a mistake. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and I’ll be sure to edit my previous response.

2 Likes

Thanks Tom_Ring :). I found some other places in this community board where the same response was given, so there may be a bit more cleanup to do. One thing more you might be able to help me with. I used an 18v 500ma AC transformer to trickle charge my existing Video Doorbell 3 and it worked great. I’ve seen the specs for the Doorbell Pro 2 and I’m confused because it specifies things in terms of VA. It says: “6-24 VAC/24VDC, 10-40VA max, 50/60Hz”. So I guess I’m unclear on whether my existing transformer works. Also, unclear about the “max” on the 10-40VA. I always thought that amperage was determined by resistance and voltage. So I’d have expected the spec specify voltage and minimum amperage. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @TomClement, happy to step in for Tom here and help out with your question. Checking the product page for the Video Doorbell 3 shows almost the same power requirements as the Video Doorbell Pro 2, an 8-24 VAC, 40VA max, 50/60Hz doorbell system or transformer, except it requires at least 16-24 VAC/VDC rather than 8-24VAC. Based on this, it does sound like the existing transformer you have should be sufficient in the power requirements. You can always consult a qualified electrician as well for any more advanced voltage and wiring questions.

I guess the concern is that 18 volts x .5 amps is 9VA if I understand it correctly. That made me a bit concerned about the 10-40 VA range.

The VA rating is considered “Apparent Power”. It is the voltage X amperage rating. Theoretically the primary side of the transformer (120 VAC side) has the same VA value as the secondary side (16/24 VAC side). Why i say theoretically is because of the efficiency of power transformers. There are other types of transformers designed to be more efficient. If the primary voltage is 120 VAC and it is rated as 30 VA the current would be
30/120 = .25 amps (250 ma). Since the secondary voltage is lower for example 16 VAC the current is higher. It would be 30/16 = 1.875 amps (1875 ma).

The VA rating is a power rating. It still is only apparent power and not true power which would be rated in watts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.