Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
J

jeffo110

Accepted Solution
Doorbell not recording after midnight
hardwired-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
motion-settings
It appears this problem of doorbell video not recording after midnight is a common known problem to Ring but has not been solved by them. I have bought 3 ring doorbells wired for family and all have the same issue that after around midnight till approx 5.00 am there are no motion detections of anything in history. I live on a busy road and although quieter at night there is still plenty of activity so whats going on with this problem. Motion detection settings all checked, zone checked, sensitivity checked and all set ok. Whats the point of a camera that at the most important time of the night doesnt capture anything.

02-02-2022 10:15:32

Responses (18)

C
Accepted Solution
Hi @TheSafety. I appreciate you listing out what troubleshooting steps you've already tried. Since you have gone through the basics, would you mind touching base with our support team on this matter? The Community is a neighbor-to-neighbor forum and we can help with general concerns, but for more in-depth troubleshooting, our support team will be the best point of contact. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360041597471) to see how to contact support. :)

22-04-2021 09:37:31

T
Same problem- have “snapshot” setup on all my cameras, the wired cams snapshot every minute (per selection) fine, my battery spotlight is set to every 15 minutes works fine, my video doorbell battery is set to every hour and as a test I did every 15 minutes and does not work during the night. From around 3/4am every morning the snapshot stops recording until around 9/10am the next day when the video doorbell camera kicks in for some significant motion or the physical doorbell being pressed, on the timeline it’s not just snapshots there’s never ANY motion alerts any night nor recording snapshots every hour or every 15 minutes (per testing a more regular snapshot) during these hours. Therefore it’s like the device is almost hibernating or going to sleep, Before RingBot replies with useless suggestions I have > rebooted ring alarm > I am a annual subscribed member > other cameras are fine so not an internet issue or wifi issue as RSSI is green > router does not go down - set monitoring up > made sure devices are up to date, rebooted the doorbell and even reset it > I do not have motion times setup or snoozes > I even un-linked all the connected cameras (so linked devices couldn’t be used as an excuse for this issue) This is a bug clearly, either that or it’s a way for Ring to cheekily reserve battery drain as they know it’s a huge issue on battery devices. I’ve Spent at least £1000 on a full ring setup and my front facing camera doesn’t work at night...pointless!

17-04-2021 10:32:14

M
Often times, a lack of motion at night can be improved through settings adjustment and lighting the area. Although you've already changed some settings, try testing motion at night yourself, to see where the motion does and does not detect you. This will help you to fine tune your motion settings in the Ring app. If the area is very dark, I recommend adding some light, which will also improve video image quality at night. There are some great Smart Lighting solutions on Ring.com.

03-02-2022 09:14:40

J
[quote="jeffo110, post:4, topic:113464, full:true"] Sent information to ring regarding the issue and sat through my old cctv footage overnight and the ring video doorbell didnt detect over 38 motions of people and vehicles going past my house. The pavement and cars at the front of my house are approx 15 feet away so the motion detection should pick it up. If it doesn’t then whats the point of having one as nightime is just as important to me. The time period is always around the same time from approx 11.30/12 to 05.30 am. Last nights history picked up 3 detections in that time which is ridiculous. I have bought 3 of these for my family and each have the same problem of not detecting at night time. whats going on Ring? It appears to be a big issue looking at the forums and what are Ring doing about it? Nothing [/quote]Sent information to ring regarding the issue and sat through my old cctv footage overnight and the ring video doorbell didnt detect over 38 motions of people and vehicles going past my house. The pavement and cars at the front of my house are approx 15 feet away so the motion detection should pick it up. If it doesn’t then whats the point of having one as nightime is just as important to me. The time period is always around the same time from approx 11.30/12 to 05.30 am. Last nights history picked up 3 detections in that time which is ridiculous. I have bought 3 of these for my family and each have the same problem of not detecting at night time. whats going on Ring? It appears to be a big issue looking at the forums and what are Ring doing about it? Nothing

04-02-2022 03:20:16

J
[quote="jeffo110, post:4, topic:113464, full:true"] Sent information to ring regarding the issue and sat through my old cctv footage overnight and the ring video doorbell didnt detect over 38 motions of people and vehicles going past my house. The pavement and cars at the front of my house are approx 15 feet away so the motion detection should pick it up. If it doesn’t then whats the point of having one as nightime is just as important to me. The time period is always around the same time from approx 11.30/12 to 05.30 am. Last nights history picked up 3 detections in that time which is ridiculous. I have bought 3 of these for my family and each have the same problem of not detecting at night time. whats going on Ring? It appears to be a big issue looking at the forums and what are Ring doing about it? Nothing [/quote]Sent information to ring regarding the issue and sat through my old cctv footage overnight and the ring video doorbell didnt detect over 38 motions of people and vehicles going past my house. The pavement and cars at the front of my house are approx 15 feet away so the motion detection should pick it up. If it doesn’t then whats the point of having one as nightime is just as important to me. The time period is always around the same time from approx 11.30/12 to 05.30 am. Last nights history picked up 3 detections in that time which is ridiculous. I have bought 3 of these for my family and each have the same problem of not detecting at night time. whats going on Ring? It appears to be a big issue looking at the forums and what are Ring doing about it? Nothing

04-02-2022 03:20:16

B
This happened to me the past 3 nights and has happened in the past. There is i reason and i have tested it. It is very frustrating and I would like someone to fix it where we live the nighttime is the whole reason i have it. and my house is very well lit as well as area.

04-02-2022 12:40:30

J
Sent information to ring regarding the issue and sat through my old cctv footage overnight and the ring video doorbell didnt detect over 38 motions of people and vehicles going past my house. The pavement and cars at the front of my house are approx 15 feet away so the motion detection should pick it up. If it doesn't then whats the point of having one as nightime is just as important to me. The time period is always around the same time from approx 11.30/12 to 05.30 am. Last nights history picked up 3 detections in that time which is ridiculous. I have bought 3 of these for my family and each have the same problem of not detecting at night time. whats going on Ring? It appears to be a big issue looking at the forums and what are Ring doing about it? Nothing

04-02-2022 03:18:04

J
Have switched porch light on and made no difference. The last two nights have had only 2/3 motion detections from around 11.30/12pm to 05.30/06.00am which is ridiculous. What Ring are not explaining to me is it gets completely dark here by 6.00pm and Ring doorbell picks up motion detection no problem at all until approx midnight till morning. Whats happening at night time with Ring doorbell?

05-02-2022 08:25:14

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User