Doorbell not recording after midnight

It appears this problem of doorbell video not recording after midnight is a common known problem to Ring but has not been solved by them.
I have bought 3 ring doorbells wired for family and all have the same issue that after around midnight till approx 5.00 am there are no motion detections of anything in history.
I live on a busy road and although quieter at night there is still plenty of activity so whats going on with this problem.
Motion detection settings all checked, zone checked, sensitivity checked and all set ok.
Whats the point of a camera that at the most important time of the night doesnt capture anything.

1 Like

Often times, a lack of motion at night can be improved through settings adjustment and lighting the area. Although you’ve already changed some settings, try testing motion at night yourself, to see where the motion does and does not detect you. This will help you to fine tune your motion settings in the Ring app.

If the area is very dark, I recommend adding some light, which will also improve video image quality at night. There are some great Smart Lighting solutions on Ring.com.

This happened to me the past 3 nights and has happened in the past. There is i reason and i have tested it. It is very frustrating and I would like someone to fix it where we live the nighttime is the whole reason i have it. and my house is very well lit as well as area.

2 Likes

Sent information to ring regarding the issue and sat through my old cctv footage overnight and the ring video doorbell didnt detect over 38 motions of people and vehicles going past my house. The pavement and cars at the front of my house are approx 15 feet away so the motion detection should pick it up. If it doesn’t then whats the point of having one as nightime is just as important to me.
The time period is always around the same time from approx 11.30/12 to 05.30 am. Last nights history picked up 3 detections in that time which is ridiculous.
I have bought 3 of these for my family and each have the same problem of not detecting at night time.
whats going on Ring? It appears to be a big issue looking at the forums and what are Ring doing about it? Nothing

2 Likes

Have switched porch light on and made no difference. The last two nights have had only 2/3 motion detections from around 11.30/12pm to 05.30/06.00am which is ridiculous.
What Ring are not explaining to me is it gets completely dark here by 6.00pm and Ring doorbell picks up motion detection no problem at all until approx midnight till morning. Whats happening at night time with Ring doorbell?

1 Like

My settings are all set to trigger anything. I have adequate lighting and the floodlight and doorbell do not detect humans unless they are right in front of the camera. I have an Arlo floodlight and it catches everything. Ring has to get it together. There was a male deer on my property that Ring did not pick up but once again my Arlo floodlight did. SMH - very unhappy about this. Ring’s floodlight is not cheap and it should catch a big animal like a deer and humans even if it’s dark outside.

1 Like

Hi neighbors. If you’re having issues with Motion Detection during a specific time period, please share a screenshot of a Live View during that time and post it here. This will allow the Community to take a look and see what adjustments can be made to improve the Motion Detection. Additionally, review this Community post here, which has some great tips and tricks for Motion Detection.

This problem of not consistently recording at certain hours at night appears to be a Ring problem - not a user problem. It’s been going on a long time and has been documented to you by many users. When will Ring make this problem a priority, take ownership and fix it?

Hi @user27846. Unless you adjust the Modes settings or manually turn off motion detection, your Video Doorbell or Security Camera will record when someone rings the Doorbell or motion is detected. If you do not see any events in your Event History for a certain period of time, there may not have been any motion events for your Ring device to detect and record. I’d recommend testing out your Ring device during the hours you believe it is not working by triggering a test motion event.

There are no sensitivity or any other image sensor settings that would justify the lack of motion detection and anyone asking to check these things has no clue! We have now winterish condition and it gets pitch black outside from 5pm. The Doorbell captures everything fine until it’s 8pm so the lighting conditions do NOT change during that period nor do they after that and why does it stop from 8pm and 7am on my side? Doorbell has now been replaced because support didn’t know what else to do and it still does the same thing!!! It must be a setting outside our (user control). I doubts that this is only affecting a handful of doorbells. I wonder if people are just not checking if their cameras are working as expected!?

1 Like

@Devizes Have you tried triggering a test motion event during this time frame where you are not receiving motion alerts? This is a good way to test that the motion detection is working properly. It’s also important to keep in mind that there may not be any motions occurring for the Doorbell to detect during certain periods of time.

Same issues not recording after midnight come alive when gets 630 called help line don’t want to help just talk over you when explaining what is going on and checks made amazing how works when don’t really need it and when you do nothing records what are we paying for 24 hour recording is what I was lead to believe wonder if refund last 2 months money as it’s rubbish ring keep trying to say it’s nothing on there side surely it is with all comments about it sort it out

Hi @Andy759. I want to clarify that Ring devices do not record 24/7, and they are not intended to record continuously. Apologies if you received any misinformation that stated otherwise. Your Ring Doorbell or Security Camera will record when motion is detected or when someone rings the Doorbell. If you have a Ring Protect Plan, you can also utilize the Snapshot Capture feature to have snapshot images taken at a specified time interval to get an idea of what’s happening at your home between actual motion or ring events.

A post was split to a new topic: Night vision problems

Mine is the same it detects up to 9pm when my daughtet gets in from gymnastics its pitch black. My husband leaves at 5am and daughter 7am for work and school. it does not detect them but I leave at 8 it detects me. Its just as dark at 9pm as it is at 5am and 7am. Its really annoying me as very unsafe not detecting at night. My husband also came in Drunk at 2am on saturday as you can imagine he didnt tip top. Didnt detect him either

Hi @Nicmck84. If the motion detection for your Doorbell is not working correctly during the night, try the following steps:

If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. I noticed that when I watch my camera back, it’ll jump from about 11:59 or so to anywhere from 12:15 to 12:30. I have it set up to take snapshots every 10 seconds and there’s several dusk to dawn lights on in the area. It’s just weird. I get it’s not a continuous live recording but it always jumps ahead after midnight.

1 Like

Same issue - ring stops detecting motion from around 11pm to around 7 am. I’ve had ring floodlights and ring doorbell for 3 months. I have NOT adjusted the settings after initially doing so. It worked great for 2 months - ring detected someone trying to get into my car at 2am in the first month - exactly why I bought the cameras. Now - nothing. The cameras pick up motion when it is totally dark after 6pm, but stop after 11pm. My son came home at 1am last night and the floodlights and doorbell picked up nothing! I’ve loved the product, but this is unacceptable. The cameras are useless to me unless they can monitor activity when I’m sleeping.

1 Like

I am having the exact same issue, my 19 year old comes home at all hours on the weekend and ring has never detected this. I have a floodlight that comes on as soon as it detects motion on our drive so there is more than enough lighting. Really don’t see the point in paying monthly for this if at the most important time I need it (nighttime) it is utterly useless.
The same way it doesn’t detect my son entering the house, would be same way it wouldn’t detect someone trying to brake into my home or cars on my drive, I have lost all faith in this ring doorbell to help protect my home. I plan to cancel my subscription and sell the doorbell on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.