Doorbell no longer charging

I had the Ring doorbell professionally installed (hardwired) along with my security system when I moved in 2 years ago. It replaced the existing doorbell and was working with the chime that stayed in place. Recently, my Ring doorbell started sending reports that it was low on battery and now it is completely offline and dead. I had a kitchen remodel after the Covid lockdown started, so about early April or so. The original chime (old school mechanical one) was removed then. My theory is that since it is no longer there, somehow this disrupted the power to the Ring doorbell? Any ideas? From looking in the forums, will the “wirewound resistor” solve the problem? Thanks in advance!

reading other posts on the hardwired doorbells that are no longer getting charged, seem to have a common theme: everything was working fine for a couple of years then within a few recent months, it stopped charging. appears to have happened around the same timeframe for everyone! what is going on? coincidence?

1 Like

Hey @oldmagno. If you no longer have an internal chime kit installed in your home, this would be why your Doorbell was not longer being charged by the internal chime kit. When previously wired to an internal chime kit, it was like the wiring setup in the middle. Since this was since removed, if you’ve had the Doorbell wired directly to a transformer, you will need to ensure that that setup is done correctly as well. You can check what that looks like in our Help Center Article here.

If you wire it correctly to a transformer and the Doorbell still does not show as hardwired in the Ring app, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have the same issue with my ~2 years old devices and a few weeks I started noticing that the batteries were draining even tough they are wired directly to a 24v tranformer so today I called to the customer service where they checked my devices and told me that my two doorbells batteries are no longer working properly and that I have to replace both with brand new devices. Instead of resolve all my doubts, such as why the battery is needed when wired, they offered me 35% off to buy new ones and of course, I won’t.

I am very dissapointed since this seems to be a planned obsolecence program for such a expensive deivices that only last 2 years. I will better buy even low cost devices that I know that will last much more.

I am still thinking that this could be fixed by a new firmware since the wired ring is opperational, however the aplication does not allow you to use the live cam due to “low battery” even tough it still recording video and sending alerts. It does not make sense to me.

I see many angry customers posting same issue here but it seems Ring team is not looking for a real solution. That is my opinion.

Regards.

1 Like