Doorbell motion sensitivity

Just installed ring doorbell. Set the sensitivity to people. We have a small flag (8 x 10") about 15 feet away. I get a motion detection even with the slightest breeze. I went in to change the sensitivity settings and it appears it is not a sliding scale but has predetermined positions. Set it to the first position past the far left and still having issues. Please advise.

Wow, I’d like to get some of that. I have sensitivity set to max and I have to be within 3 feet of the doorbell to get it to trigger.

Do these settings actually do anything? I have AC power to the Ring, so I have settings for frequent updates and maximum motion sensitivity with the Motion Verification turned off. Still no events are generated.

1 Like

Hey neighbors! As everyone’s home and environment is different, it may take some trial and error to find the settings and positioning that fits best for each of you. Which model of Doorbell do you have, and can you please share a screenshot of the Motion Zones you have set? I’d be happy to take a look and see what recommendations I can make to help fine-tune the motion detection. :slight_smile:

I have a Ring Doorbell (2nd Gen).

I have 20.5VAC of power, RSSI of -42, download 59.92, upload 32.76, and ping 13ms according to your own tests. I have motion sensitivity set to Max, motion verification turned off, and motion frequency set to Frequent. My Ring is mounted so that it can never see the Sun, facing NW and shaded by the house. Here is a screenshot showing me at 10 feet, where I want the Ring to see my motion, and at 5 feet. In neither case did the Ring actually detect me.

@RSaunders Thank you for taking the time to share those screenshots here. Have you tested the motion detection without the Motion Zones editing screen up? Having the Live View open or editing the Motion Zones is going to prevent the Ring from detecting motion as it would under normal circumstances.

With that said, you might want to consider a Corner Kit to help angle your Doorbell away from the wall it’s viewing. The Corner Kit would allow you to angle the Doorbell’s view outwards slightly, towards the walkway, which should also improve the device’s overall ability to detect motion.

If you’re still having concerns about your Doorbell’s motion detection after my suggestions, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They will be able to make adjustments and perform tests in real-time to find a solution that works best for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

Of course, I don’t expect motion sensitivity to work with the app open.

I stand for 10 secs, to make sure there is no detection, then open the app, go to the screen, make the screen shot as you asked, and then close the app. Then I walk to the next place, wait 10 secs, to make sure there is no detection, then open the app, go to the screen, make another screen shot, and then close the app. I stood in the zone where I want motion detected for minutes fiddling with my phone and the Ring never detected anything.

I have a corner kit, with one wedge installed, to get the current view. Is it your suggestion to point the camera more to the Right, towards the neighbor’s door across the way, or to the Left, toward my own door?

I doubt anything will work - I can be one inch from my Doorbell and motion is not detected. This started about a week ago, so something is severly broken at Ring.

Hey neighbors! Since a few of you are having motion detection concerns, it may be best for you to reach out to our support team. Our support team can work directly with you to isolate the cause of the concern and provide more advanced troubleshooting steps. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: