Doorbell Humming noise

The mechanical doorbell attached to my wired ring doorbell has started making a loud humming noise after 2 years. I have disconnected the trans and rear wires from the doorbell to stop the noise. But this stops the power to the ring doorbell as well.

When I googled to check how to resolve the issue, I can across ring doorbell power kit 2. I didn’t have the ring power kit to fit in my existing mechanical doorbell. Is this required and will help the humming noise ? Another option seems to be to add some resistance between the trans and rear connections ? Can the diode which came with the ring doorbell be used as a resistor ?

Please advise.

Hi @MM2020! This will depend on the model of Doorbell you have. The Pro Power Kit is intended for use only with the Video Doorbell Pro. Our installation help center article includes instructions and visual on installing this part.

For a battery powered Video Doorbell model, these do not need a Pro Power Kit, and if there is a mechanical chime being used a resistor is also not required. Additionally, the diode is only for use with a digital chime kit. The best steps for a buzzing chime kit is to ensure the chime is listed on our compatibility list as well as ensuring the wiring used is not too thin.

Here is the compatibility list for different Doorbell types:

Ring Pro chime kit compatibility

Ring Doorbell 2 chime kit compatibility

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your response.

My ring doorbell 2 wired is installed, which was working fine for last 2+ years with the mechanical chime - Heath Zenith 90 BASE, which is in the compatible list.

What can I do to stop the humming noise from the chime ?

Thank you for confirming this information, @MM2020! A Video Doorbell 2 and a compatible mechanical chime kit are often a straight forward and problem free configuration. As this worked for 2 years, with no problems, let’s check wiring first. Please ensure wires are connected securely to the Doorbell and chime kit, as well as check for any erosion, fraying, or exposed wiring that might lead to a short. If Cat5 or thin wiring is being used, this wiring can have problems with delivering voltage properly over time.

Considering the age of the chime kit being used, as well as the transformer, is always a good step. This will help to ensure the chime is receiving the power it is rated for and the transformer is still providing that power, adequately, to both the chime and the Doorbell. Sometimes, switching the two wires on the back of the Video Doorbell, can help with a more stable connection.

If this concern persists, feel free to send pictures of wiring so we can take a closer look, or reach out to our support team. If you are wanting to troubleshooting more in-depth, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Same issue. After 2 years the doorbell quit working and a humming noise started. I tried using an iphone charger block with the ring orange charging cable to charge the Ring doorbell, since it wasn’t even powering up, after which there was a loud one time clicking noise and the iphone charger block quit working. Indicating a short within the Ring doorbell. So what’s the solution here?? Swap oit battery??

1 Like

We have a similar issue here. In December, a loud buzzing came from the interior, hard-wired doorbell unit in the front hallway. We replaced the unit with a new doorbell chime unit. No change to the buzzing noise. Yesterday, we ended up disconnecting the Ring transformer (if that’s the correct term), but of course, that also means the Ring doorbell ceases to function. The wires all look fine to us. What else can we do?