Doorbell (Gen 1 & 2) using WiFi 6

Has there been any discussion on here about the Ring Doorbell (Gen 1 and Gen 2) not working with WiFi 6? My cable/internet provider replaced my old wireless router ( WiFi 4 and WiFi 5) with a new one that does WiFi 6 and immediately my Ring Doorbell (gen 1) started having connection issues. These Doorbells use only the 2.4 GHz band to communicate with the wireless router. And, since my lens was already scratched on my Gen 1 Doorbell, I figured I would replace it with a Doorbell Gen 2 and thought due to the age of the Gen 1, WiFi issues might not exist with the new Gen 2 Doorbell. Much to my dismay, it worked as badly as the Gen 1 on the WiFi 6 router. So, in order to fix my issues, I had the cable provider give me the old router back. My other Doorbell is a Pro model, and as such it uses the 5 GHz band and worked well with the WiFi 6. It seems to be related to the combination of WiFi 6 and the 2.4 GHz band in the Doorbell Gen 1 and 2. Does anyone at Ring know about issues like this? Customer service says they have never heard of this happening and offered no suggestions that helped.

Hi @user44288. Both the Video Doorbell (1st gen) and Video Doorbell (2nd gen) are only compatible with 2.4GHz wifi networks. If you have a dual band router, I would suggest having your internet service provider split your network into two separate 5.GHz and 2.4GHz networks. Then create a guest network using only 2.4GHz and attempt to connect your Doorbell (2nd gen) to that network.

If that still doesn’t work, you’ll need to follow up with our support team to see if there are any additional troubleshooting steps they can explore. When contacting our support team, let them know you’ve reached out before, as the issue may need advanced troubleshooting. Since it is network-related, they may have you contact your internet service provider for assistance as well.

1 Like

My router IS split into two sections, 2.4 and 5 GHz. Both the WiFi 6 and the WiFi 4 and 5 use both bands. I know the Doorbell uses only 2.4 GHz and that is exactly what this post was about. The Ring Doorbell Gen 1 and Gen 2 do not work well with WiFi 6, frequently goes off-line and doesn’t respond to commands for live views. It just replies and says live view is not available. As soon as I returned the WiFi 6 to my provider and went back with the WiFi 4 (2.4 GHz) it seems to be working well. There has to be some issue when using WiFi 6 with these devices not being compatible. I can’t be the only one having this issue…

1 Like

Hi @user44288, you are actually correct in your diagnosis. Today I’ve tested setting up with 2 new wifi 6 routers tp link, cause they are the newer ones that’s been offerred that can handle high speed internet, and my old Wifi 4/5 router which i had 5 years now. The ring cameras none of them would set up properly to the 2.4 GHZ/ or even the 5GHZ to the wifi6 routers. It would instantly set up with the old wifi router . So you are right on the money about this.

1 Like

I too just switched to the WiFi 6 and am having the same issues even though the ring is connected to 2.5GHZ

I also have this same problem.
I have a 6E router (pro I from Vodafone) and my ring cameras HATE IT!
My door bell, indoor cam and spotlight cam are not too bad and I have connected them successfully after a lot of playing around.
However I have two stick up cam wired and they drop off the network two or three times a day…and when they are connected the image quality is terrible or even completely grey.
My router doesn’t actually let me split the bandwidths believe it or not (this has been disabled by Vodafone)
Ring support were no help other than to offer me replacement reduced (obviously didn’t fix anything) and then a a refund.
Vodafone support similar.
Basically ring say “we only work on 2.4”
And Vodafone say “it’s 2023 - you’ve bought 6E broadband”
A complete nightmare.
Ring….can you technically investigate please?

1 Like

@Caitlyn_Ring Im replying and tagging you in this to keep the thread. The original question was not about the ghz band but the actual wifi standard that is being used. Is there any information about compatibility with wifi6? Or are these devices now made obsolete by having a better network even while using the 2.5 ghz band?

Hi @user74080. I am happy to chime in. We have no documentation stating that Ring devices are compatible or incompatible with WiFi 6 routers. If you are having issues connecting your Ring device to a WiFi 6 router, then this page will provide you with a step to try to connect. If that step fails, reach out to our support team for further assistance.

I have a WiFi 6 modem/Router (ASUS DSL-AX82U) and a Ring Wired Pro 2 Doorbell.

I have been disappointed with the reported strength (RSSI) of my WiFi in “Device health” on the ring app, so today I created a Guest Account on 5Ghz and changed network connection using the Ring App. It connected fine but the RSSI strength was no better so I tried a 2.4Ghz guest network which gave similar results.

So to summarise I was unable to improve my RSSI in the Ring App but I have no trouble connecting to my WiFi 6 Modem/Router.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.