Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
N
Doorbell and Indoor Camera Live View Not Working
hardwired-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
wireless-security-cameras

Live view just randomly stopped working on my Wired Doorbell Pro 2 and 1 of a few indoor cameras I have set up. It’s still connected to WiFi with a strong signal, and updates snapshots every 30 seconds as I have set in the settings, but no matter what I try the Live View refuses to work. Keeps showing me the “Failed to Connect” message…

These cameras are only a few months old. How is this even possible? I keep finding threads about this same issue, but it’s impossible to find an actual solution. Does anyone have a solution other than selling these pieces of garbage on eBay?

31-03-2024 11:31:17

Responses (2)

N

Looks like I was able to resolve this by disabling all cameras from RingEdge, so they’re no longer storing video captures locally on my SD card. I wonder if it’s a caching issue with local storage… but figured I’d at least leave this here for others to potentially fix it in the short-term.

Still blows my mind that so many people have a similar issue. These cameras were meant for one thing, and for that one feature to break so easily is a little ridiculous…

02-04-2024 05:48:51

U

I had similar problems to the OP. There are dozens of similar reports here, going back over the last 3 years or so. I am posting here as it is one of the more recent posts, and many of the older threads were closed.

After about 9 months of rock solid oepration, my system suddenly stopped working properly. My camera continued to record snapshots fine; I was able to connect to the app and change settings; my RSSI was a very strong -46. However, when I tried to activate liveview (from any device), it would just hang and eventually give me an error message. Also, when the doorbell was activated, I would get a notification (and snapshot) on my phone, but nothing would actually be stored to the cloud. I was able to browse stored clips that were recorded before the sudden loss of liveview, but no clips were available after that.

This all pointed to a problem with the camera sending video outside my home to the cloud. Everything else worked.

The camera was too far from my home router, so my setup (which worked for over 9 months) had the Ring camera wirelessly connecting to an old router. That router was wired by ethernet as a client of my Home router. And the home router then connected to my ISP’s modem. I have several devices (like video cameras) wired this way and everything has worked for a long time with no issues. At least it did until last week.

SO once the ring camera stopped properly uploading video, I discovered that restarting services on my home router would ‘fix’ things for 20-30 minutes. After that it would stop again. My router is running the FreshTomato Operating System. I have maybe 40 devices connected to it and they all work perfectly. I tried tweaking many settings over many days, but could never get the Ring Doorbell working properly.

I finally decided to reroute wires in my home. So now my Ring doorbell connects wireless to the same old router, but that router is now connected directly to my ISP device. This means that my home router is not part of the data path any more, and it all works fine now.

There is no reason that this change should matter. My guess is that there is something in the RSTP protocol implementation on the device that is choking on the multiple signal handoffs. No other (RSTP based) devices in my home have this problem. I may try another test… If I temporarily relocate my home router I could figure out if connecting my Ring Doorbell wireless to the home router directly (which then connects to the ISP box) works. If it does, then that would indicate that the router’s settings/behaviour is not the problem, but it could be the number of data hops/handoffs.

In my case, I was able to remove one ‘hop’ in the data path. I suspect many users don’t have that capability. Most users wouldn’t know what happens to the signal beyond the initial wireless connection (and they shouldn’t have to). I will report back if I’m able to complete my test, but thought I’d share what I have so far in case it helps others.

06-06-2024 01:26:23

C

Hi @user83058, thank you for sharing such a detailed reply based on the troubleshooting steps you've tried. The original poster was utilizing Ring Edge - do you have Ring Edge enabled on your Ring Cameras as well? Everyone's wireless setup will vary to some degree, and it can get more complicated when multiple routers are involved in the setup. I'm curious to know what the results are if you decide to perform that second test. 

10-06-2024 04:11:10

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User