Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
J
Doorbell 4 pre-roll - unusable quality
battery-video-doorbell
Hi, I have just got a brand new Video Doorbell 4 and the pre-roll feature is useless - see shot below: ![Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 13.03.50|690x404](upload://zO7iOVHp68muroElFYkrGnXTJ8o.jpeg) You could not identify these people if you tried. The video is better (but still not great) after the pre-roll ends. Can anyone advise? ...I am not sure if it is a setting I need to change or whether my unit is defective. Also note when the video triggers (4 seconds in) the people are already in the indented part of the drive - is this the maximum range I can expect (I have it on max sensitivity)? thanks! James.

12-05-2021 12:11:46

Responses (5)

B
@JCHH I saw on one of the reviews of the Doorbell 4 that there was an issue where after the pre roll ended the resolution improved but the frame rate was still low. I cant remember exactly but I think it was when viewing back on the app, when downloaded the video was fine. Likely needs to be addressed in a firmware/app update.

12-05-2021 12:15:55

J
@bemak187 - cheers! However my problem was with the downloaded video

12-05-2021 03:59:18

M
Hi there, @JCHH! Thank you for this image example. As described further in our [help center article about pre-roll](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042728431-Advanced-Motion-Detection-in-Ring-Devices), the Ring Video Doorbell 4 will have colored pre-roll with high definition quality. As this model of Video Doorbell is dual band capable, please ensure it is connected to your 2.4 Ghz wifi network. As always, it's a great step to check your [signal strength or RSSI](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229). I hope this helps! :)

12-05-2021 04:09:06

J
Hi @Marley_Ring Thanks for replying! I can confirm my doorbell is connected to 2.4 GHz and has a signal strength "RSSI-50". ...although I am not sure why video resolution depends on being attached to the 2.4 Ghz network. [edit: adding speed test results using iPhone at the deice] ping: 11ms Jitter: 4.6ms Loss: 0% download: 54.7 Mbps Upload: 18.6 Mbps

13-05-2021 09:33:04

B
@JCHH My understanding of the pre roll on the Doorbell 4 is that it will be colour but a lower resolution and lower framerate. It will then kick into 1080p at 25fps. Your RSSI is what matters as Ring actually doesn't nee a super fast connection, a few mbps is fine its signal strength which is key and yours looks ok at -50.

13-05-2021 10:57:05

J
Thanks, @bemak187. Should I be concerned that motion is only triggered when people get into the cut-out section of the drive? ...I have motion on maximum sensitivity.

13-05-2021 12:58:23

B
@JCHH I think during set up you have the option to choose how far from the street your device is? You should be able to change it to look for motion further out. Also how high up is the doorbell mounted? The recommended height is 4 feet.

13-05-2021 01:01:38

J
it is at the correct height and on maximum sensitivity.

13-05-2021 03:25:20

M
Great work on completing these steps, @JCHH. Thank you @bemak187 for providing such great recommendations! When it comes to motion, there are a great many options to choose from. Trial and error is the best method for optimizing this detection. Try people only mode, different zone distances, and even the [motion frequency](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003477106-Understanding-and-Optimizing-Motion-Detection-with-Motion-Frequency) setting. As for the Pre-roll quality, this certainly should be resolvable and improved with wifi signal, and definitely should show sufficiently in a downloaded video. If the above suggestions do not seem to improve your experience with the Video Doorbell, our support team is always available for more in-depth troubleshooting. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360041597471) to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :)

14-05-2021 03:59:52

D
I am having the same problem. By the time the 4 second "pre roll" is done being blurry, the people could already be out of the picture. It seems like my old doorbell 2 (which lens flaked off of) captured video from the moment it saw the movement (where the "pre roll" now starts) perfectly clearly. This doorbell 4 is blurry for 4 seconds that used to be crystal clear video on the old doorbell. I called support and they say mine is working perfectly. However, it seems like a big downgrade from doorbell 2. This needs to be fixed. If you turn off pre roll, video doesn't start recording fast enough.

29-08-2023 07:52:31

S
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

28-09-2023 07:52:52

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User