Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
G

geno8

Accepted Solution
Doorbell 2nd Gen not charging via hardwire
troubleshooting
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell
I had the 1st Gen doorbell for years without issue. Hardwired to the doorbell wires and always stayed charged. Never had to remove and charge via usb. Upgraded to 2nd gen and now I have to remove and charge monthly. Same hardwires. I've lowered all settings, sensitivities, alerts etc. as low as can go but still keep the thing useful. Ring support has not been helpful, just pointing me to the generic website help sections. I've tried all that several times. I won't call and speak with someone so they can walk me through the same steps for 30 minutes with same results. Just send a replacement. I've been a subscriber for years with four active devices. Jeez.

25-09-2023 02:33:52

Responses (2)

J
Accepted Solution

Hi @geno8. If you have not done so, I recommend trying a factory reset of your Doorbell to see if it helps. To factory reset your Doorbell, press and hold the setup button for 20–25 seconds, then complete a new setup in the Ring app.

You also want to make sure your Doorbell is showing a lightning bolt symbol in its battery icon when you go to your Doorbell settings page. This indicates it is taking a trickle charge from you having it hardwired. If this symbol is not appearing at all, then it means it is not detecting it being hardwired, and you would need to check the wires to make sure they are attached to the Doorbell terminals correctly.

Please also verify there is still sufficient voltage at the wires, which should be a minimum of 8 volts. If you are not comfortable dealing with live wires, we strongly recommend consulting a qualified electrician. If you have tried these steps and are still having the same concern, our support team can provide further assistance. Replacements cannot be handled here in the Community. Our support team will be able to handle that after deeming a replacement is needed and verifying your Doorbell's warranty.

26-09-2023 05:47:58

U

Hi, just wanted to chime in ( pun intended ;0) ) 

Have the same model, same issue, same support response. 

Basically the device is a dud... I had it for a while, tried to resolve a few times until I gave up on it. 

Today wanted to give it another shot, best I got is a discount offer of 35% on a new device. 

Told the rep. straight up, if this is the quality of their devices - I am not willing to buy any more from them.

Had they agree to replace it with a refurb, or other model, or something of a real solution, they would have had me for years to come. Well companies come and companies go... No one is immune from mistakes but it's how to deal with them that determines if your brand is trustworthy and if it would survive the test of time.

25-07-2024 02:11:38

C

Hi @user_c56470. It sounds like your Doorbell's warranty has expired, so our support team was only able to offer a discount on the purchase of a new device. An active warranty is needed for any potential replacements when troubleshooting is unsuccessful. 

26-07-2024 02:56:53

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User