Doorbell 2020 release wired, battery not holding a charge in cold weather

I have been having issues with the battery not holding a charge for more than 4 to 5 days. This started around the end of December 2021. It worked last winter fine. I’ve checked my voltage and I’m getting 19.2 Vac. I’ve reset the unit twice. I receive one, to two, motion detections in that time frame. I also have the same doorbell camera that is solar powered. It seems to be charging fine so far. So, I called Ring and talked to a support agent. He tells me there are issues with the battery not accepting a proper charge at temperatures below 32 degrees. I told him this was unacceptable. When I purchased this unit from Amazon there was no mention of cold weather issues below 32 degrees F. The product information states a temperature rating of -5 degrees to 120 degrees F. I live in Michigan and need a product that can work properly down to 0 degrees. I asked for a replacement that would do that. I was told thy do not have a unit that would work for me. I asked to speak to a manager and O’Neal got on the line. I told him If I would have known this unit would not work properly at the company’s product specifications, I would have returned it. I also told him when we go to Florida in the winter, I can’t have a security camera that has to be charged every few days and asked for a refund. I was told they do not do refunds and to contact Amazon for my refund. So, I chat with Amazon and was told the unit was outside my return window and they could not give me a refund. I’ve read many people having this same issue. If Ring would have disclosed this battery issue in their product information, I would have returned it to Amazon. This seems to me like faults produce specifications, or at least misleading.

As mentioned in our Community article about battery draining, cold weather is known to impact batteries, not just of Ring but any lithium ion batteries.

When purchasing a Ring device for your home, we recommend checking over all the technical specifications on the product page, under the “Tech Specs” section, to see installation requirements. For the Video Doorbell (2020 Release), the tech specs on Ring.com advises operating conditions/ temperatures of -5ºF to 120ºF (-20ºC to 48ºC).

Here is also our Help Center article about cold weather and battery powered devices, for more tips on keeping your batteries charged. Alternatively, we see many neighbors find success in colder regions with hardwiring their battery devices for additional charge, or purchasing a wired only model at Ring.com. :slight_smile: