Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
M
Doorbell 2 and Power Supply
plug-in-adapter
Hello I have Doorbell 2 (it runs on battery) it is not connected to a chime or any other device, very blond just the Ring Doorbell 2 at the entrance of my door, I´m not happy with the battery life, (need to be charge every 5 weeks) then I live in Sweden and not much sun during this time of year then not suitable to have the Solar charger, I want to hardwire it with a Power Supply. Questions: 1.- Which Power Supply can I use for the Doorbell 2? 2.- Does Ring have a Power Supply in their assortment? 3.- Can i use the Power Supply from ring called: Plug-In Adapter for Ring Video Doorbell Pro Model: DLA2420D-EU that the output is 24VAC 20VA ![image|454x342](upload://yoSbT7JhnacHFOQkQsufgAXcYKv.png) https://se-en.ring.com/collections/accessories/products/plug-in-adapter-for-ring-video-doorbell-pro 4.- If the answer of the Point 3 is Yes, then this one say that is have Shot Circuit Protected, my main question is do I need to use the wirewound resistor? (as I said the Doorbell is not connected to any chime or another device) ![image|405x304](upload://jQXQVGTnXdHoPF3CY5XYTzKKh07.png) I hope someone can guide me here please! Mario

19-01-2021 10:51:53

Responses (6)

T
Hi @MarioAguado. The correct Plug-In Adapter for the Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2 would be [this one](https://ring.com/collections/accessories/products/video-doorbell-plugin-adapter-gen-2). When using the Plug-In Adapter, you do not need a wirewound resistor, as this is only required when bypassing your internal chime kit. I hope this information helps!

21-01-2021 09:56:40

M
Hello @Tom_Ring First thanks so much fo your answer, but still some points not clear, I hope you can help. 1.- the Link does not works. (I´m in Sweden then I need an adapter available in Europe) 2.- The Doorbell model that I have is the "Doorbell 2" and I understand it works with low voltage 8-24V AC transformer (40V maximum) at 50/60Hz, then the which model should I buy? 3.- Thanks for confirming that when using the Doorbell 2 without any other device I do not need to use any wirewound resistor. Thanks

25-01-2021 10:08:34

C
Hi @MarioAguado, happy to chime in for Tom here. You can find the Plug-In Adapter for the Video Doorbell 2 on our website [here](https://se-en.ring.com/collections/accessories/products/video-doorbell-plug-in-adapter), which is available for purchase in Sweden. The Plug-In Adapter will power your Doorbell via a standard power outlet, so a transformer is not needed with this configuration. If you planned to wire it to an existing doorbell circuit, the transformer in the existing doorbell circuit would need to be 8-24V AC. The specific brand or model would be your choice, as long as it meets the power requirements. Again, that is if you choose to wire it to a doorbell circuit rather than use the Plug-In Adapter with an electrical socket. I hope this helps answer your questions. :)

26-01-2021 06:58:31

M
Hello @Caitlyn_Ring thanks fo you answer, but I´m afraid we are not understanding each other correctly. I have a Doorbell 2 NOT a Doorbell 2nd Gen. Then based on the specifications on your own sites it says the follwoing: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003011986-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Hardwired-vs-Battery-Powered-Operation It meantions that it requieres an Plug-in witha voltage AC in between 8-24V ![image|690x62](upload://lb2DuTeydz75vHqpxRSZj5wn8wL.png) https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003008643-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Information#Which_doorbells_is_Ring_Doorbell_2_compatible_with ![image|690x356](upload://95jgJ20BIUpCLoIRrlo2wUGBIAp.png) https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003495766-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell- ![image|690x427](upload://i9lc7L3L5YU6BkORhTIz0zH2OS5.png) Then the Plug-in that you recommend to me from your link is this: ![image|690x315](upload://kLmzlUzLQKhBQINpZh755eueNTe.png) Where: It is not mentioning the Doorbell 2 AND Where the specs are: Power Output 24VDC, 0.5A, 12.0W ![image|690x89](upload://c8NxeDoB5S5ET9akrtFGTWK93z3.png) that was the Reason first I was asking the Following: **For a Ring DOORBELL 2 (not a Doorbell 2nd gen) can I sue the Plug-in like this ![image|454x342](upload://yoSbT7JhnacHFOQkQsufgAXcYKv.png) AND Do I need to use a Wirewound resistor even if I´m not using any other device** ![image|690x422](upload://at8AC4XYyxZOOFRTVGffrqixHtq.png) I hope this time my explanation is a bit more clear, and yo can give a good answer please. Basically my Questions remains: 1.- Can i use the Power Supply from ring called: Plug-In Adapter for Ring Video Doorbell Pro Model: DLA2420D-EU that the output is 24VAC 20VA 2.- Do I need to use the wirewound resistor? (as I said the Doorbell is not connected to any chime or another device) BR Mario

26-01-2021 08:17:13

C
@MarioAguado Thanks for clarifying which model of Doorbell you have. The Plug-In Adapter for the RIng Video Doorbell Pro **cannot** be used for the Video Doorbell 2. It is designed **only** for the Video Doorbell Pro. As our Help Center Article [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003495766-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-) states, if you are wiring the Video Doorbell 2 specifically to a low-voltage transformer without an existing doorbell, a resistor is **required**. You can also choose to just allow it to run off the rechargeable battery. I hope this helps clear things up!

27-01-2021 03:56:28

M
Hello @Caitlyn_Ring thanks for the clarification then which Low Voltage should I use, I cannot find it in the Ring assortment. If you do not have it then this is a bad design or bad customer solution providing a solution that is half offered to customers. Why I said that, simple Ring offer a product that supports hardwired but not provide the equipment to do it, no low-voltage transformer available that I will need to find one by my own and as well spend money on a resistor very expensive from your assortment. How can we move forward this, I just bought my Doorbell 2 one year ago (december 2019) now this model not even exists and no offer from ring to get the accessories needed to make it works as hardwired that is a supported feature. it is any way that I can do a trade-in my Doorbell 2 for an other model that supports hardwire in a proper way like all the other models that Ring offer? I hope you understand my point, and see how can this be solved, even I have re-newed my Plan for one more year meaning I´m a loyal customer. BR Mario

27-01-2021 04:42:01

K
Dear ring employees, The information you are providing is very frustating, because it contradicts. I'm an higher educated electro engineer, and i'm still confused about this power supply. The problem is that in the documentation of the doorbell 2, it states that it needs 8-24V AC. So, why would the plugin adapter in the picture, that supplies 24V AC, would not be working? Also, without a chime you need a resistor, but on the picture, it says that it's short circuit protected. The resistor is to prevent short circuit, so it seems that this plugin adapter would be ideal, because it supplies 24V AC and has a built in resistor.

28-01-2021 09:53:57

C
The Plug-In Adapter cannot be used with the Video Doorbell 2 because it is not designed to be used with that model of Doorbell. As stated on the product listing itself, it is designed to be used with the Video Doorbell - 2020 Release, Video Doorbell 3, Video Doorbell 3 Plus, and the Video Doorbell Pro. Since the Plug-In Adapter is not designed for use with any other model of Doorbell, we cannot guarantee that it will work if you try to use it. If you're planning to hardwire your Doorbell 2, you need an AC transformer that is 8-24 VAC with a max of 50/60Hz. We can't recommend any specific brand of transformer, but it does need to meet those power requirements and it cannot be DC power. Halogen and garden-lighting transformers are also not compatible. Regarding the resistor, as our Help Center Article [here ](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003495766-How-to-Connect-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Directly-to-a-Low-Voltage-Transformer-Without-a-Pre-existing-Doorbell-) states, if you are wiring the Video Doorbell 2 specifically to a low-voltage transformer without an existing doorbell, a resistor is **required**. You can also choose to just allow it to run off the rechargeable battery. This should cover all of the power supply options for the Video Doorbell 2, so I'll be marking this reply as a solution to this post as it has all of the information discussed in this thread.

28-01-2021 10:37:24

M
@Caitlyn_Ring Ok I has been nice and with a lot patentice with Ring Support, what it is not clear for you in my question: **Output: 8-24VAC ??VA and ???mA You need to tell me the VA and you need to tell me the recommended output in mA that can be used in the Doorbell 2 (NOT Doorbell 2nd gen)** YOu just come with the same info as it is in the link I sent to you before several times, if the info that I need was in the documentation for sure I will not be asking questions here in the forum!!! Then i ask for something and you answer something else and by the way something completely wrong why due to lack of knowledge from your side!!! Like this Im asking for more details in the Output of the transformer like the VA and the mA to know whichone to buy and what I get from you just this: **8-24 VAC with a max of 50/60Hz**.... what a joke just a copy past from the same info I already sent to you when I was correcting you for the 3rd time in your erros of data when you did not read that I clearly wrote many times I have a Doorbell 2 (not a 2nd Generation) anyway I need the specs of a Low Voltage Transformer: Output: VAC: 8-24 VA: ? mA: ? I hope you can solve this and if you do not know the answers as someone else in your support team.

29-01-2021 08:05:25

M
@Caitlyn_Ring & @Tom_Ring This ticket is is not solved until you give to me the specs that I´m asking for, then please read my message and answer back. Mario

02-02-2021 03:16:42

M
@Caitlyn_Ring & @Tom_Ring This ticket is is not solved until you give to me the specs that I´m asking for, then please read my message and answer back. I need the specs of a Low Voltage Transformer: Output: VAC: 8-24 VA: ? mA: ? @kleze Hi, I can see you had a good understanding of my points, you describe it very clear in your answer to the Ring Support guys, but it looks like they do not understand, do you have an idea what could be good values on what I´m asking. I´m still thinking using my Knowledge that the PSU provided by Ring to be use in the Doorbell ring pro it should works perfectly fine, based on specs, and as well I think it is not needed to the wirewound since it is a resistor and the PSU already has one, what do you think, sorry to asking you but again you have way better understanding than Ring Support guys, **that BTW are refusing to answer to me here**. Mario

04-02-2021 06:16:10

C
@MarioAguado I have provided all of the information we have regarding what type of transformer the Video Doorbell 2 supports. If you still need further assistance, please contact our support team as the Community is a neighbor-to-neighbor forum and we cannot assist with in-depth troubleshooting or advanced support. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360041597471) to see how to contact support.

05-02-2021 05:48:04

F
@MarioAguado Did you manage to figure out what adapter you need? I'm as confused as you are with the info you got. @Caitlyn_Ring says you need an transformer that supplies 8-24VAC but links to the Plug-in Adapter that supplies 24V in DC. The DLA2420D-EU does provide the required 24V in AC, but can't be used? None of this makes any sense... I just spent an entire day pulling a cable so I can hardware my Doorbell 2 and now I don't know what adapter/transformer to order!

12-04-2021 03:51:25

T
Hi @Fire69. If you have a Ring Video Doorbell Gen 2 (2020), you will need the Plug-In Adapter Gen 2. [quote="Tom_Ring, post:2, topic:31922"] The correct Plug-In Adapter for the Ring Video Doorbell Generation 2 would be [this one ](https://ring.com/collections/accessories/products/video-doorbell-plugin-adapter-gen-2) [/quote]

14-04-2021 09:45:24

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

D

Danielhrch

User
Solutions