Door bell cam keeps dropping wifi

I have had the Ring Door Bell 3 Plus installed for 1.5 years and it has worked great until about two months ago when it started periodically dropping Wifi. None of my other cameras or lights have this problem and the Door Bell cam is very close to my router. The problem is remedied by removing the battery and then reinserting it but this has become a real bother and concern as we will be going on vacation and I don’t want this to happen when we are gone. I have back up batteries that replace batteries when one needs recharging so it isn’t a battery problem. Any advice or is this a problem associated with the 3 Plus?

Hi,

I have exactly the same thing happening to me. My Ring 3 Plus is connected via Chime pro and has been fine for over 2 years, but recently has started to drop connection 2 or 3 times a week. The only way to restore it is, like you, to remove the battery and replace it. I am hoping that someone will be able to help us

Hi neighbors! What is the RSSI on your Video Doorbell 3 Plus? The RSSI is a measure of your Doorbell’s wifi strength, and it could indicate if the connection is unstable. If the RSSI indicates a good connection, I’d suggest trying a full reset and fresh setup of your Doorbell. You can reset the Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is done, set the Doorbell back up in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device. This will fully refresh your device’s connection with the Ring app and your wifi network.

If this concern continues to happen after these troubleshooting steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here so they can look into this further and document any applicable information regarding this concern. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This same issue has happened to me with my Ring Doorbell 4. It’s been fairly solid for a months but recently it keeps dropping off the wifi. Sometimes it doesn’t work at all with no LED lights showing and other times it is not working with the blue LED ring light flashing. Worse still is that when I take the cover off, the reset button doesn’t even work. Battery was at 50% charge last I checked and probably isn’t that much lower when the issues last happened. I’m charging up the battery to 100% (which I don’t believe is the issue) but the act of taking out the battery and re-inserting it does seem to give it a temporary workaround but same thing happens shortly after again.

1 Like

I have been having problems with my doorbell cam 3 plus dropping wifi every 3-4 days for the past year. Once I take out the battery and put it back in it reconnects… for 3-4 days then drops the wifi. I have reconnected directly to wifi and reconnected to the Chime pro and still it continues to drop the wifi every 3-4 days. I have 5 other cams and none of them do this and it is the second closest to my router. I have had this cam for over two years and it worked great until the second year. I’m ready to dump it and try another brand. I don’t want to because I pay for monitoring and like having one app for my security system but this has become a big problem and I don’t see a resolution.

I have a Ring Doorbell 3, battery powered.
Same thing happens to me. Think I’ve solved it (has worked three times so far!)
You need two things: WiFi Extender and a Smart Plug

1. Smart Plug into socket, then WiFi Extender (mine was just under £20)
  2. Connect WiFi Extender to your hub (Probably will be your WiFi name plus _EXT)
  3. Connect Ring Doorbell to your Extender ( socket as close as possible to doorbell for best signal)
  4. If Doorbell goes offline, switch off Extender using Smart Plug app (works anywhere in the world!)
  5. Leave OFF for 1 minute then switch back on.
  6. Within 5 minutes, doorbell should be back online.
    Best of luck. Hint: Buy Extender online then you can return it legally within 30 days if it does not work for you!

Just an update from the above: This has now worked over 30 times for me and the failure rate is NIL

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.