Does the "Spotlight Cam Battery" siren feature only turns on manually?

I know you cant disable the siren and the only button for it is in the dashboard. I am not worried about accidentally pressing it. I am worried about when the alarm is in “Home” or “away mode” if motion is detected will the siren go off? or That would just send a notification? During what situations will the siren go off? I still want to get the motion notification but I don’t want the siren to go off. Is this siren connected to the Ring Alarm base station? let’s say I come home and didn’t put the code in time, the siren from the base station will go off. Would this make the siren from the Spotlight to go off?

Thank you in advance.

@saice101 wrote:

I know you can’t disable the siren and the only button for it is in the dashboard.

The Spotlight Camera’s sirens will only go off when you manually select it to sound off, either on the Live View for the camera with the siren feature, or from the Camera Device’s profile in the Device list. You mentioned the main Dashboard, and if you are referring to the red “Explanation Point” icon button in the upper-right corner, that is only for the Alarm-system/Base station’s siren. That red “!” is not for the camera’s siren.

I am not worried about accidentally pressing it. I am worried about when the alarm is in “Home” or “away mode” if motion is detected will the siren go off?

Currently, the activation of the camera’s siren can only be manually selected and will sound-off immediately. It is not automatic with motion-detection. Motion detected by the Cameras cannot activate the Alarm system either, so the Alarm Base Station will not sound, regardless of what Alarm Mode you have selected. If your Alarm Base Station detects a break-in, the Base Station’s siren will sound, but the outdoor camera’s siren will not.

If you were concerned about accidentally pressing/tapping the red “!” icon, go ahead and try it (without an issue). You’ll see 3 slide-choices (Police, Fire, or Medical) of which emergency agency you need. Then you Select-slide-right which agency you want. And it’s nice that you have a 5 second countdown to Unselect-slide-left before your choice “goes out” and sound the alarm base station siren. So no real worries about accidentally summoning emergency personnel. Also note the blue “Sound Siren Only” bar at the bottom. Again that immediately triggers the alarm-system siren, not the camera’s, and without notifying any agency.

During what situations will the siren go off? I still want to get the motion notification but I don’t want the siren to go off.

The camera siren will only go off when you select it manually. It is independent of the camera’s motion-detected notification and Alert/Chirp sound-alerts settings.

Is this siren connected to the Ring Alarm base station? let’s say I come home and didn’t put the code in time, the siren from the base station will go off. Would this make the siren from the Spotlight to go off?

No, the Alarm Base station cannot activate the Spotlight camera siren. And conversely, the camera motion-detection cannot trigger a break-in alarm siren. The camera cannot make the Base Station’s siren sound. The Alarm system and Ring Cameras just share the same Ring App, and the Alarm Modes can control whether or not you want the cameras or alarm-sensors to be active or disabled in each mode.

Thank you in advance.

You are very welcome. My pleasure. I hope my explanation was clear enough and helpful. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much

2 Likes

Regarding the Siren ! Icon on the Spotlight wired camera. How can we get RING to move that Icon away from the lightbulb icon. The two are ridiculously close. Half a fat finger on the viewing scene lightbulb will trigger the siren. At 3am my neighbors won’t appreciate the error

It’s supposed to only go off manually but I was just contacted by police because ours was going of completely independently. Had to disable power to get it to turn off.

Hi @FunkHQDos. Have you reached out to our support team about this at all? If not, I would definitely recommend contacting our support team so they can look into this further. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

What if I want my siren to go off when motion is detected? It would be a great deterrent, my Floodlight Cam Wired Plus is positioned such that the only motion it would detect is unwanted motion. Even a short siren blast would be a deterrent.

Hi @shoegazer. The siren will not go off when motion is detected. However, you can enable Motion Warning, which does go off when motion is detected.

Just to update this post. What the Ring person “Boone” above said to this post a while back is no longer true with the new Spotlight Cam versions. They can in fact act as additional sirens to the base station. This is how you configure them to do this:

Your Spotlight Cam can act as an additional siren that sounds when your base station alarm is triggered. This is not documented in the installation or user manual for the Spotlight Cam. To activate this feature do the follwoing:

From the Ring app:

• Tap the three-lined icon in the upper-left hand side of the screen to open the side menu.
  • Tap Devices.
  • Tap Alarm Base Station .
  • Tap Base Station.
  • Tap Linked Devices.
  • Tap Alarm Sounding.
    Select options listed that you want to activate for your spotlight camera. Right icon listed that looks like this “!” is for making the siren sound when triggered from the base station(will turn red if you enabled this feature).

New, installation stage: Spotlight Cam Plus battery.

I thought it had a siren, but that’s apparently an add-on purchase? So it does not have a siren?

I don’t want a siren. My neighbors would call the cops the second time!

Hi @Earther. The Ring Spotlight Cam does not have a siren that automatically goes off. As with our other Security Cameras that have sirens, the siren must be manually activated by pressing a button in the app and confirming you wish to sound the siren. This would allow you to deter an unwanted visitor. Again, the siren does not automatically go off with motion detection.

If you have a Ring Alarm Security System set up at your home, you can use the Linked Devices feature to link your Security Camera with the Alarm system. This allows you to choose for the siren on the Camera to go off when the Ring Alarm’s siren has been triggered.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.