Does ring pro doorbell supports 5GHz WiFi?

Hello all,
I’ve installed my ring pro doorbell, and noticed that it didn’t recognized any 5GHz network although the router was just 2 meters away from the doorbell.
Can it even support 5GHz?
Thanks
Nir

@Nir76 wrote:
Hello all,
I’ve installed my ring pro doorbell, and noticed that it didn’t recognized any 5GHz network although the router was just 2 meters away from the doorbell.
Can it even support 5GHz?
Thanks
Nir

Simple answer, No. Currently, Ring products cannot use 5GHz Wi-Fi.

For wireless connections, Ring Video products can only use 2.4 GHz Wi-fi and Ring Alarm products use Z-Wave.

As a note: Frequently, for those who have video issues (No “Live View”, black screens, etc.), it is almost always related somehow to a Wi-Fi issue. Poor RSSI values (a big number) is generally the first thing to look at in Device Health. But also, just having strong RSSI values (low number) doesn’t necessarily mean you have a good high-data-transfer video connection.

It can also be a matter of competition for the Wi-Fi signal. With so many Wi-Fi devices competing for your router’s Wi-Fi, you can help your Ring Video by reducing the other 2.4 GHz competition. Configure as many of your other 5 GHz-capable devices to just use the 5GHz band part of your router. Thereby, Ring Video 2.4 GHz performance can improve.

It seems you preferred the faster data-transfer (shorter range) traits of 5 GHz Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, Ring Video can only use the slower (long range) 2.4 GHz band.

Hope you find this information useful. :slight_smile:

Ok…too bad :slight_smile:
Thanks for the detailed answer any way!
Best regards
Nir

1 Like

@Nir76 wrote:
Ok…too bad :slight_smile:
Thanks for the detailed answer any way!
Best regards
Nir

You are very welcome. My pleasure :slight_smile:

According to the specs it does and I have mine connected to 5ghz. Be warned though, the doorbell is very picky about the 5ghz channel it connects to. I’m connected to channel 48 VHT20.

https://shop.ring.com/products/video-doorbell-pro?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1039283235&utm_term=ring%20pro%20doorbell&utm_content=49114647257&gclid=CjwKCAjw9vn4BRBaEiwAh0muDNF-gkaRTWSSK0NN8dpGXF-yVNsR7wTGvn8fHjO3gXxdGUYmHUd80RoC3_EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&?cb=

1 Like

@kjacques1 wrote:

According to the specs it does and I have mine connected to 5ghz. Be warned though, the doorbell is very picky about the 5ghz channel it connects to. I’m connected to channel 48 VHT20.

@kjacques1 & @Nir76 ,

Oooops, my bad. @kjacques1 thank you for the correction. :slight_smile:

I was unaware the Ring Video Doorbell Pro could use 5 GHz. Everyday that I can learn something new, that’s a good day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, the channel setting was the problem, now it’s working perfectly!
Thank you for the useful hint ?
Nir

Your very welcome. I’ve been trying to find a list of 5ghz channels that are known working with the doorbell pro. What channel did you end up on?

1 Like

Same one that you mentioned.
Nir

@kjacques1 wrote:

@Boone wrote:

@kjacques1 & @Nir76 ,

Oooops, my bad. @kjacques1 thank you for the correction. :slight_smile:

I was unaware the Ring Video Doorbell Pro could use 5 GHz. Everyday that I can learn something new, that’s a good day. :slight_smile:

@kjacques1 & @Nir76 ,

I just discovered, in addition to the Video Doorbell Pro , the Video Doorbell Elite and the Video Doorbell 3 Plus also are 5 GHz & 2.4 GHz capable.

Today is a really good day for me! LOL :slight_smile:

@kjacques1 wrote:

I’ve been trying to find a list of 5ghz channels that are known working with the Doorbell Pro. What channel did you end up on?

@kjacques1 and @Nir76 ,

@kjacques1 has been looking for a list of 5 GHz channels.

For 5 GHz Wi-Fi, try these 4 channels: Ch36, Ch40, Ch 44, and Ch48.

I did a little on-line digging, inspired by this thread. Also, I did a little experimenting with my recently purchased Ring Chime Pro (it is Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz dual-capable).

On a Ring Support products page I found, _"_The 5 GHz band utilizes select channels through 36 and channel 165." Which kind of implies that Ring products can use all these channels. That sounds like a huge number of channels, but it actually is just 19 usable, separate channels, which are: 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161 (at least these are the only 5 GHz channel choices on my AT&T Pace router).

With more digging, I learned about_“Unlicensed National Information Infrastructure”_ (UNII). I found geeky-stuff like that channels 36 to 48 are U-NII-1 channels, originally for indoor domestic home use. Higher channels 50 to 65 are U-NII-2B and are required to employ Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) and Transmit Power Controls (TPS) to avoid interference with weather-radar and military applications. All higher channels also require this DFS and TPS (whatever the heck these are). Channels 65 to 99 are U-NII-2C are prohibited for our use by new FCC rules (hence the big unavailable gap).

Experimenting with my Ring Chime Pro, whenever I tried to use any other 5 GHz channel that was not U-NII-1, my Chime Pro could not even see the 5 GHz Wi-Fi. The default setting on my 5 GHz router network was on AUTO channel (typical default), occasionally hopping to other channels on its own to avoid interference. Whenever my router hopped above Ch 48, my Chime Pro became intermittent and dropped offline, although my smart-phone and laptop were still fine with these higher 5 GHz channels. What’s all this geeky-stuff basically mean? Apparently, 5 GHz Ring devices do NOT like channels with DFS and TFS. That leaves only the 4 U-NII-1 channels.

5 Ghz is a higher frequency signal, so it has much more difficulty passing through solid objects, and even just air. But it’s nice when you are in a cluttered 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi environment. 5 GHz has a much shorter range than 2.4 GHz, so nearby houses Wi-Fi interference is generally low. This could be very different in dense apartment buildings. All things being equal, the lower Ch 36 should be the strongest among the four U-NII-1 channels, but signal strength is only one factor. Congestion and interference can also affect performance.

In my house, using a Wi-Fi analyzer app, I found that 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel 48 was the strongest due to some other local interference. But In the end, I set my Chime Pro on a fixed 2.4 GHz channel because it gave me the best overall Ring video performance on my cameras.

Well, this is my best guess as to why Ring devices are the “5 GHz picky.” Therefore, if using a Ring device on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi, I would recommend removing AUTO on the router (preventing hopping off a U-NII-1 channel), and select whichever 5 Ghz channels of 36, 40, 44, or 48 that gives you the best performance.

I know, I know . . . I need to get a life . . . but with the CoVid-19 thing, I had the free time, and I do think it is geeky cool. LOL :slight_smile: Maybe you will think this is interesting as I did and find it useful.

4 Likes

Thank you for the taking the time to test off of these channels out. I’m still using channel 48 and it has been very reliable for me.

2 Likes

I’m still having issues with my doorbell pro connecting to the 5gHz wifi network. I have a TP-link Deco X20 mesh system and it only connects to the 2.4gHz wifi. No idea what is going on even been on a call with Ring Support with no resolution yet.

Just bought a Ring 3, and couldnt connect to 5GHZ wifi, as I already had Channel 56 set. (least conjested in my area) Changed to Channel 48 and ping up it popped…thx to your post…

Need to try the others to see which works best but at least I can connect to 5ghz now

Ring need to make this a bit clearer, I know about WIFI and routers, and this restriction was a surprise and if you dont know about setting channels and wifi analysers then you may be struggling

thanks for taking the time to post this useful info

2 Likes

Your Welcome. Glad it is working for you.

1 Like

@WindyMi11a wrote:

Just bought a Ring 3, and couldnt connect to 5GHZ wifi, as I already had Channel 56 set. (least conjested in my area) Changed to Channel 48 and ping up it popped…thx to your post…

Need to try the others to see which works best but at least I can connect to 5ghz now

Ring need to make this a bit clearer, I know about WIFI and routers, and this restriction was a surprise and if you dont know about setting channels and wifi analysers then you may be struggling

thanks for taking the time to post this useful info

Hello @WindyMi11a ,

That’s great news that your got your Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus to the 5GHz Wi-Fi on Channel 48! And if you use/download a free Wi-Fi Analyzer App, you’ll can determine which of the 4 channels for 5GHz (that seems to work well with Ring devices) is best for you ( Ch36, Ch40, Ch 44, and Ch48).

Also remember that thought 5GHz is faster, its range is severely limited and reduced by any structures (walls, embedded wiring, brick, etc) so you still may find better results switching your Ring 3 to use 2.4GHz instead.

Great news, and good luck! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just remember when you change a Channel in the Router, if you have a laptop, you need to change the channel there too.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections\Wi-Fi\Properties\Configure\Advanced\Find the Channels Area\Put the Value Channel to the Channel you changed to in the Router.