Disconnect and remove contact sensor

One of my contact sensors went offline. None of the reset tips helped nor did replacing the battery. I ordered a new sensor and installed it as a new device with a slightly different name. How can I remove the old device from the system.? It doesn’t transmit, so the removal instructions don’t work.

1 Like

Hey @jderratt. Follow these steps to remove that old sensor:

• Open your Ring app and go to the main menu at the top left corner.
  • Select “Devices” and then “Alarm Base Station.”
  • Find the sensor that you are trying to remove and select that one.
  • Once on the profile for that sensor, hit the gear icon at the top right.
  • Select “Advanced Options.”
  • Select “Remove Failed Device” and then remove.

Hope this helps! :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

I had the same issue and your solution worked great. Thank you

Hello,
I am having the same issue and am STILL getting an error code when trying to remove the failed sensor from the advanced options. I have tried all of the other reset options as well.

I’ve tried the disconnect and remove 5 times - no luck.

@Johntessarzik wrote:
Hello,
I am having the same issue and am STILL getting an error code when trying to remove the failed sensor from the advanced options. I have tried all of the other reset options as well.

Hey neighbors! If you’ve tried the suggestion that Chelsea recommended and you’re still unable to remove the sensor, please reach out to our support team at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to take a closer look and offer more advanced troubleshooting steps to get this resolved for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

This fixed my issue, thank you!

1 Like

I purchased a Ring alarm package with four contact sensors. I installed two and will use the other two for spares and will install in the future. How can I remove the status note “Ring Alarm Contact Sensor ##### is offline”, when I never connected or installed the device. I want to stop the reoccurring status note.

Hey @ringML! When a Contact Sensor is showing as offline and you do not wish to see/ use this sensor, removing is the best method. There are a couple options for removing. From the Ring app Dashboard, open the Menu, select Devices, select Alarm, and then select the Contact Sensor in question. Once you are viewing the Contact Sensor page in the Ring app, please tap the settings cog in the top right corner. There you will see the option to Remove Device, and Advanced Options with more ways for removing the device. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I removed my sensor to re-install it. It tells me to remove the plastic battery covering (there isn’t any) so how do I get past this step? I changed the batteries btw, but I haven’t even had this for half a year yet!

Hi there, neighbors! Please follow these updated steps to remove a Contact Sensor when it falls offline and is unresponsive to a reset. Note : Check the battery does not need to be changed before removal. When you may still need to remove this sensor, follow these steps to do so:

• Open your Ring app and go to the Main Menu at the top left corner.
  • Select Devices and then Alarm Base Station.
  • Find the sensor that you are trying to remove and select that one.
  • Tap Device Settings for your sensor.
  • Select Advanced Options.
  • Select Remove Failed Device and then remove.

Here is also our Help Center article for further tips on troubleshooting and resetting your Contact Sensor. If this concern persists despite trying these steps, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

That almost worked. After logging in, doing 2-factor by text, then trying to delete the dead sensor that way, it tries to listen to the sensor (which will never happen because it’s defective), it gives up, leaving it in the system.