Disable Ring Alarm in 30 sec. Can Crash and Smash work to disable ring alarm?

I am concerned about the scenario that I have seen called crash and smash. Where you have the system armed and someone crash the front door and trips the sensor. During the 30 sec delay (for entering your code) they find the base station because it is making noise and telling everyone exactly where it is. They then throw it in a bucket of water.

I called Ring Help and the tech told me yes that would disable the system. The only notification anyone would get was that the door sensor was opened being sent to your phone. Other alarm systems apparently use a different approach where in the above scenario the system sends an alert to the monitoring station when door sensor is opened and will only cancel the alarm if base sends it the disarm code. That way even if base station is destroyed police still get called.

If the countdown came from another source other than the base station this would not be a concern. So can someone confirm if the system would or would not alarm in the scenario described. And if it would not alarm, can you turn the volume all the way off on the base station so the countdown can’t be heard? I know this does not affect the alarm siren sound, but I have seen the volume on the base station for the sounds can be adjusted (just not sure if it goes completely off).

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @HawaiiKai3. Knowing exactly how your system works is definitely an important concern. We’ve actually had a similar question like this asked before in the Community. You can read the answer we provided in the thread here, which should answer all of your questions. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks I did see that posting but there was not a clear definitive of which way the system works. Simply put can I get a yes or no will the smash and grab as described above prevent the system form alarming?

@HawaiiKai3 If the Base Station is somehow completely destroyed and cannot draw on the power of the backup battery before the alarm is triggered, it will not sound the siren and it will not send the signal to the Monitoring Center if you’re signed up with Professional Monitoring. If the signal is sent before the Base Station is damaged and unable to draw on the power from the backup battery, the Monitoring Center will still have received the signal and contact you.

Thanks for the honesty Caitlyn, my recommendation for future upgrades would be have one of the other units besides the base station be the one to provide audio feedback. That way the base station can be hidden and the alerts don’t give away the location.

Can anyone out there answer this second part of my question? Can you turn the volume all the way off on the base station so the countdown can’t be heard? I know this does not affect the alarm siren sound, but I have seen the volume on the base station for the sounds can be adjusted (just not sure if it goes completely off). i.e. so you can hide the base station and location will not be given away by the alerts. Or can the speaker be disabled? Disabling speaker will also cause loss of alarm siren, but I plan on having a separate siren.

Thanks in advance for any replies. Appreciate the community helping each other out.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for so apologies if not

If you are away then you are going to need the entry delay unless you wish to turn off via mobile app before entering premises then could change entry delay for Away Mode to 0

If you are at Home and setting when going to bed then you could set the entry delay to 0

Then it would go off as soon as entry is detected so hopefully would not have time to find and destroy it before you are alerted.

Hope that helps

Thanks that would work but really limits how the alarm can be used. there should be a way to keep base station safe and use time delay.

Hi neighbors. To clarify, if the Alarm Base Station is destroyed during its Entry Delay and no disarm signal is sent to our Monitoring Station, then they will proceed to the next steps, where they call Emergency Contacts and dispatch police if need be if you’re signed up with Professional Monitoring.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.