Disable night vision on Ring Pro video doorbell

The black tape idea over the infrared from several here (batd 11-23 and Paulo 12-21), and also a post on YouTube mentioning covering the infrared helped make the night vision clearer. Thank you. But the Color Night Vision being enabled did little for the clarity of night images. Covering the infrared under the doorbell button with black tape made the night image clearer. Color night vision just made it color. The color night vision option is in the Ring Door Bell Pro app under Device Settings, then Video Settings. But again, the Color Night Vision being enabled did little for the clarity of night images.

1 Like

I just installed the RING Pro and the first night, everything was great. Evening views with my front lights on were great. Crisp, clear color at night!

Tonight, even with my front lights on, I get a blurry black and white image.

Iā€™ve tried to turn on and off the color option but the device is stuck in black and white infrared.

I will put tape over the sensor but this is NOT a cheap device and should work as advertised.

After speaking with tech support, they rebooted the device remotely and asked that I toggle the color night vision option and then said to ring the doorbell. That worked. The recommendation was, if it happens again, to drop the power to the bell to reset it.

After I covered the infrared lamps the image got a lot better. Before it was impossible to distinguish a face. Even so at night the image was black and white. I put a light in front of the door that also illuminates Ringā€™s camera and now the image is colored.

1 Like

Yes please add a function in the software where we can disable the IR feature. I agree that I can see my intended area at night better without it and the red lights giveaway the cameras location.

1 Like

Totally agree. Iā€™m actually at the point of researching competitor products since ring has still not figured out how to give customers an option.

Itā€™s Darwinian: fix the problems with your products or go out if business as people go to your competitors.

2 Likes

WEll I went thru the hoops with support.
Everything is ok according to them. NO IT IS NOT!

I placed electrical tape over the IR emitters and now I have color although I have to leave a ligth on in order to see anything. When it was in IR mode I could not see anything, reminded me of Stevie Wonder. I bought this from B&H Photo out of NY and I would love to return it but it is too late. I think Ring should pay for me to ship this to them and refund me my money. There is a significant delay from recognition until notification and the UPS or FEDEX person is LONG gone before I know they were there! Not acceptable. I run a 300/300 Fiber connection and use 5g and 2.4 and all is well. Plenty of signal at the front for speedtest so not my internet. Samsung S10 Not my phone. Ring is the problem. I am looking at analternative to this piece of junk. RING will you give me a refund?

1 Like

Coming up on three complete pages of complaints, at what point do Ring concede this is a real pain issue for a lot of people !

I am going to try the tape method tonight. I also chatted with Ring support and they said nothing they can do and they would submit a suggestion to their engineering team to add the option to turn off night vision, but that was months ago. I agree the color toggle is useless.

I used to use a LogiCircle camera that had the option to disable night view. Because of the light outside at night in front of my house, the normal color view at 1080p was perfect. I replaced the camera with a Ring2 doorbell. Now itā€™s all black and white with no option to turn off night vision? What a waste of money. The firmware should be upgraded with this option. Will that ever happen?? With the current technology, this shouldā€™ve been standard on these Ring Doorbell Cameras.

My Ring2 doorbell is brand new and hardwired and no option to disable night vision. For the price of these devices, it should be standard.
Very disappointed. If it doesnā€™t change with a firmware update, I may consider returning this thing. Any chance this will change?

1 Like

Ring,

Please implement a feature to disable this IR night vision or scheduled Night vision.

It turns on whenever someone blocks my porch light and doesnā€™t go back on, having the video quality severely compromised for the rest of the night. My only solution to this is to point a flashlight to the sensor to turn the IR sensor off.

I expect much more from a product this expensive and a company as big as ring. Fix this in the next update please!

1 Like

Ring main number FLOOD them with CALLS !

1-800-656-1918

I am going to call 2 times a day until they write the update into the device or shove it where the sun does not shine. I am tired of the inferior quality of this way overpriced device.

3 Likes

I agree! There is absolutely no logical reason for Ring to not allow us to disable night vision. Some of us have enough ambient light and donā€™t need night vision. Having night vision turned on actually decreases video quality.

1 Like

Itā€™s really strange that itā€™s not offered. The only devices I have that offers it is my indoor and outdoor cams that just came out end of last year. It should not be hard to add that feature.

1 Like

Even my $20 Wyze Cam 2 offers it. Iā€™ve recommended the Wyze to friends.
Itā€™s a Great value!

3 Likes

there is a hack to disable the night vision but requires a fiber optic cable and runing it up to your porch light and taping it to the bulb of the porch light and taping the other end to the side of the camera on the doorbell and the night vision will see the small light and kick off and stay off until you turn your porch light off then it will kick back on.

I seen this in a youtube video on one of there flood light firmware version where there was a glitch with the night vision not kicking off when the flood lights kick on.

just a FYI you could try this and see if it hepls?

I completely agree with you. I just installed my Doorbell Pro and the picture is horrible with night vision on. Covering up the IR with tape helps and I can see all the way down the streetā€¦ but why would I do that to a $250 device?!

Ring should provide this feature to turn off night visionā€¦ Auto or Off. SImple as that.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my Ring Pro doorbell for almost 3 years and Iā€™m still waiting for Ring to add Auto/Off/Schedule for the IR night mode. This is a feature my 7-yr-old Foscam cameras have had since the beginning.

Letā€™s get with the program (literally), Ring. It obviously canā€™t be that difficult.

1 Like

Even sadder is that RING knows we are complaining and responds with a canned statement now and then. I feel ripped off on this piece of crap. sheesh!!