Delay enter not requested

Hi,

When i get home and the front door is open the 30-seconds delay begins this is normal because it is set as well.

However, if I pass in front of the motion detector, it will sound only from the end of the timer (though, I set it up without delay) :unamused:

On the other hand, if my front door has not been opened, it triggers without delay…

Do you have this problem?
I made sure to trap the intruder if he has to go through the front door and prevent him from continuing his progress

Thank you for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @belier13. As @SolarEclipse mentioned, this behavior is how the Ring Alarm is supposed to function. Since you have opened the front door where you have an Entry Delay in place, that Entry Delay is counting down and giving you the 30 seconds you have chosen in order to disarm the system. You can read more about how the Entry and Exit Delays work in our Help Center article here.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.
I call “trapping the intruder” by the fact that if he advances in the living room during the delay the motion detector immediately triggers the alarm. :slight_smile:

belier13 -

I think that there may be some confusion regarding the problem you are describing among those who responded to your post.

Am I correct in assuming that you are actually referring to two different types of Ring devices, namely:

• A contact sensor
  • A motion detector

Are you saying that:

• The Placement setting for the Front Door contact sensor is set to “Entryway”… and that it works as intended (i.e., the alarm is delayed when motion is detected, giving you time to disarm the alarm system if it is armed).
  • Although the Placement setting for the motion detector is set to “Room”, there is an unexpected/undesirable delay in motion detection despite the fact that the Ring app indicates that if the Room option is selected “Alarm sounds immediately when Motion Detector senses motion”).

Hi,
Yes, that’s my problem but apparently that’s normal, and I’ll leave my entrance time to a minimum (it should be specified in the user guide, because it took me 60 seconds…)

Belier13 -

Are you saying you would like to be able to change the Ring Alarm Entry Delay setting? If so, did you know it’s possible to customize the setting by selecting one of six options, namely:
0 seconds
30 seconds
45 seconds
60 seconds
120 seconds
180 seconds

To learn more:

Warning: You may be forced to enable specific Javascript permissions and/or solve captchas to view this Ring Help article.

I think you didn’t understand me :smile:.

Let’s take the example of a 180-seconds input time.
If the thief enters through the front door he will have 180 seconds to make all the parts since all the sensors will be stopped during this delay.
What is the interest then of the programmed in “Room” If my sensors will “follow” the front door.
I think ring should indicate that a large time must be avoided, because the sensors positioned as a “piece” will follow the input time when a “main entrance” area is open :grinning:

Belier13 -

I agree that it would be helpful for Ring Help articles to explain why the Ring Alarm Entry Delay setting (and Ring Alarm Exit Delay setting) should not be set to a longer time than necessary. I can think of situations, however, where it might be necessary to use one of the longer delay times. For example, if someone had serious physical disabilities and/or other issues that make it impossible to get in/out a door quickly and/or to arm/disarm the Ring alarm system in a timely manner.

I also agree that the Ring Motion Detector Placement setting “Room” option does not necessarily work the way it is described in the Ring app. Unfortunately, I have a very busy schedule and don’t have the time to carefully test various scenarios. It does seem, however that:

• Scenario #1: (Don’t Leave Home)

• Set your Ring alarm system to Away mode
    • Do NOT leave your home
    • Do NOT do anything to trigger the alarm
    • Wait until the alarm is “armed”
    • Engage in movement in front of a Ring Motion Detector
    • Result: Alarm may be triggered (relatively) quickly, albeit not immediately
  • Scenario #2: (Burglar enters via front door)

• Set your Ring alarm system to Away mode
    • If your front door has a Ring Contact Sensor installed, leave your home via the front door and close it behind you
    • Wait until your Ring alarm is “armed”
    • Re-enter your home via the front door and close the door behind you
    • Engage in movement in front of a Ring Motion Detector
    • Result: The alarm will seemingly NOT be triggered by the Motion Detector. Instead, it will probably eventually be triggered due to your failure to (manually) disarm the alarm system in a timely fashion

Can anyone confirm these results?

1 Like

That’s exactly it!
The motion detector changes programming when the front door is open …
But the Ring app records the movement well, Why put a “main entrance door” and " room" option…

Belier13 -

It seems that the problem you have pointed out is an actual programming bug, rather than a design deficiency.

Worse yet, it obviously LOWERS security without the knowledge and/or permission of the user. If a user sets the “Room” option for a motion detector, they presumably expect it to function exactly the way it say in the Ring app… namely, that the “Alarm sounds immediately when Motion Detector senses motion”.

Have you tried? For your part, do you have the same problem?

I received a new station today (I had a problem with the cellular network) I will test all this to see if there is a change for the motion detector

Hi @belier13. This is an intended action. The reason is, if an Entry Delay is triggered, you’ll have to move through your house to get to a Keypad to Disarm your Ring Alarm. This will help mitigate false alarms. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Tom_Ring -

I understand what you are saying… but it definitely seems like a design flaw, if true.

It seems like Ring system designers assume that:

• ALL users have the same priorities (i.e., they prioritize convenience over safety/security).
  • Users typically don’t give much thought to the proper placement of security devices.
  • Users “wander around their home” (presumably, in some random, unpredictable manner) before disarming their Ring alarm system.
  • It “doesn’t hurt anything” if users make security decisions based on erroneous explanations in the Ring app. For example:
    • On the “Sensors in Away Mode” screen, it says “Monitored sensors will “sound the alarm when tripped”.
    • On the Placement screen, the explanation for the Room option indicates that “Alarm sounds immediately when Motion Detector senses motion”.
  • It’s acceptable for Ring to (temporarily) override security device settings that have been deliberately set by a user (such as the Room option) – without the knowledge and/or permission of the user.
  • Entrance Delays are, by definition, triggered by AUTHORIZED USERS rather than CRIMINALS.
  • Criminals can’t cause much harm during an Entry Delay period, because it’s simply too short a time to accomplish anything.

It seems to me that for security reasons, a user (rather than Ring) should determine how a particular security device behaves when the alarm system is armed (i.e., in Away mode). For example, if one device is currently in an active Entrance Delay countdown, whether another device will (or will not) immediately trigger the alarm if it senses motion.

1 Like

Hi @Frustrated427. Thank you for your feedback about this. I can appreciate your point of view and understand that there is no “one setting fits all”. For now, this is the way the system operates and the best way to introduce change would be to create a Feature Request and share it so other neighbors can vote for it and add interest. Thank you for your continued conversation here in the Community.

It would be better to reduce the entry time by default. Because 60 seconds is huge…

I found this thread on google as I was trying to figure out why my motion sensor located outside of entry zones with delay was not triggering during this delay.

I must say that I am disappointed to see that “Ring” considers this normal.

Do you intend to offer a solution for users who want their motion detector to act immediately even during the deactivation delay?

Currently this detector is useless unless someone teleports inside my home, which you will agree is impossible.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.