Contrast

Just bought the Ring doorbell. The contrast makes it impossible to see anyone ringing the bell. I am trying to find an adjustment for the contrast which seems like a pretty simple thing and should be expected but there appears to be no way to adjust this. Upon seeking support I get pointed to the community with the phone numbers provided not working. I think I may have to return the unit. Anyone have any suggestions on if this can be changed or not?

1 Like

Hey @Bingmyrell. Could you show us a video example of what this looks like for you? To get in touch with our support team directly, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi Chelsea, I am not the original poster, but I am experiencing what seems to be the same problem. My front porch is well shaded, and during the day the contrast between the center of the picture and the edges is extreme, and the Ring camera can’t seem to handle the brightness. I would like to correct this if possible, by adjusting brightness, contrast, or dynamic range. Attached is a photo from my Ring.

Also, for reference, here is a photo from my iPhone XR from the same spot on my front porch. This shows you what the Ring camera is missing.

Hey @msloane794. Thank you so much for showing us these photos to compare! Since the Doorbell is having a hard time adjusting to the view, you will need to look into seeing if you can turn it to look towards one side. I recommend either relocating the Doorbell in a corner area or off to the side, where you can install a Corner Kit to then have it turned to look more towards you Front Door, and some of the walkway up. What Doorbell do you have? I will grab the link for the Corner Kit that you need. In addition, you can test with the Doorbell in hand (after you take it off the mount), where the angle can adjust to the image best. This is probably best with another person, so that way one person can look through the Live View, while another person is holding the Doorbell in different areas to see where the installation is easiest while also being able to see the image in front of it without the high contrast!

Since there is not a way to adjust the video’s quality of contrast and/or brightness, we need to play around with placement to find the camera’s sweet spot. Feel free to share pics of what your front door looks like, and options you have to pick from when it comes to installation. You can also share any Live Views for recommendations on what looks best, or shouldn’t have problems over time! :slight_smile: