Contact sensors installed in a way that can't be removed

Hi there,

The previous owner of this house installed the sensor in a way that can’t be uninstalled. I’m not able to reach its back side to do anything. Is there any easy way to reach the back side?

Thanks!

Hi @yibol. Try using a piece of dental floss or fishing string, and placing it under the Contact Sensor and work it back and forth to remove it. You can also use a hair dryer to warm up the adhesive on the back of the sensor, but be careful to not get it too hot. Unfortunately, this installation is not going to be easy to work with. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, be careful to not “rip off” the contact sensor, as it may damage your paint.

The builder of my house did the same thing. Had to pry each one off with a thin spudger.

Does it still work being that far apart and also the angle?
I ask as I have just bought the alarm set and last night I was checking my windows and there is no way to put them level. I will need to do something similar to what your picture shows?

Hi @paul211b. The space between the Contact Sensor and magnet needs to be 1 inch or less. It doesn’t have to be perfectly level, but I would recommend testing out the placement before fully installing the Contact Sensor to make sure it registers as closed when the window is closed. You can find some installation tips here. I hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.