Contact Sensors Going Offline

Out of the blue my front door sensor will go offline then go back online all by itself. It will also say door open when it is not. Which has caused false alarms.
I have removed and re-added the device
I have replaced the battery As well and it still does it. It’s in the exact same location as it has been since October last year.

I have seen some posts about base station too far away but it has worked just fine until recently.

Hey @RCSADMIN. Is the Contact Sensor placed on a metal door, or is there a lot of appliances/device in between the Contact Sensor and the Base Station? There may be a distance concern as well as an interference concern that could be happening if the connection is poor, which is normally why a device will fall from offline to online and back and forth. While it could be fine for some time, if there is anything new that has been introduced into the home that could be affecting the Z-Wave frequency, this could be why as well. In addition, the Contact Sensor registering as open when closed and vice versa can be due to signal interference, as well as placement.

I can double check the placement with you and if this is a concern if you attach a picture of how you have it placed! Although, since the device is falling offline, it may be best to call our support team to have them take a look at the signal strength of the sensor to your Base Station. For this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Yes, it is placed on a metal door. I have an access point 15 feet from the front door sensor. I have attached a pic.

Also, how do I warranty a camera? it just stopped working. I have tried to remove and re-add but it fails I put in new batteries and it won’t lite up

@RCSADMIN Since it is on a metal door, this will cause some interference on the device, or may mess with it reporting as opened/closed when it is not. After looking at the picture, it looks like the placement is not as it should be. The notch on the one side of the sensor needs to be facing and lined up the magnet piece (which has a notch on both sides). If you flip the sensor piece 180 degrees, and the same for the magnet piece, the notches should be lined up and facing.

This should help with the door accidentally reporting open/closed incorrectly, but please note that the metal door may affect the magnet over time. It’s best to create a barrier between the door and the equipment. I’ve seen some neighbors install pre-cut cardboard underneath the pieces for improved performance, but if you notice no problems after adjusting the positioning, you should be ok! You can see how these notches are lined up in our Help Center Article here.

For the camera, you will need to call our support team directly! Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I have had the same problem and have called numerous time s to resolve. In all honesty I just gave up until I saw this post that I’m not the only one. Customer service was always nice but never resolved my issue. Can someone please help me? At this point, it needs replacing. No point in having the entire system and having one piece not work.

I changed the way i installed it and its been working great! Thanks!

1 Like